Hi I been playing as mentioned three years now I have picked up chords ,barre chords decent rhythm , learned a lot of the songs I wanted to ,bought decent instruments tried twelve string , electric fender , capos etc however for the first time since I have been playing I find myself with my faithful acoustic and wanting to start playing the blues . To be honest just found Robert Johnson , Corey Harris etc and I think that's where I want to be . Could someone give me some advice where to start best scales songs etc? Thank you very much for reading .
It's not really a question of scales, more a question of understanding the common harmonic movement, turnarounds, and so on.

I don't know much about that kind of blues but you need to really study the I-IV-V movement, dominant chords and resolving to the I chord.

Learn theory and analyse the material you're listening to, like not just what scale it fits in to but why the chords work the way they do and so on.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Learn these...

Then go to youtube and look up Blues Backing Tracks. There's a ton of them on there.

Hope it helps..
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Quote by Papabear505
Learn these...

*massive pic*

Then go to youtube and look up Blues Backing Tracks. There's a ton of them on there.

Hope it helps..

1 - Jesus, huge pic, find something smaller.
2 - Robert Johnson was not that kind of blues player. We're talking solo delta blues here, the origins of the style, nothing like the more modern electric blues apart from the foundation on a I-IV-V movement.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The blues can be a very tricky thing to teach, especially over the internet. Your best bet, is to learn likely in the same manner as many of Johnson's contemporaries did and try to learn by ear, you won't find any videos of him playing, but you'll find people playing his songs. Learning by ear has great advantages and is the traditional way to learn the blues.

The first thing you'll want to learn is, as other people say, the I-IV-V progression, which, to start you off, in the key of E is, E, A, B.

A great way to learn to play this in a less-boring and more bluesy sounding way is to play the E like: 022130, the A: x02223 and the B: xx4445 now just these three chords will have you playing the blues, I'm not going to talk so much about order or progressions, if you listen to Johnson you'll noticed there is a fair amount of playing around with em, but I will give you the most common layout: E, A, E, E, A, B, A, E, D. When you'll play this, the end measure on D will gave you a very famous blue sound and invite you to start the whole thing again, this is also the point for the turnaround when you get to learning that.

My leaving advice is to check the columns and lessons, I learnt to play the blue from some great articles here, some very beginner friendly, infact, the article the help me to learn the blues the most was an article that took Johnson's song, Malted Milk and sort of guided you through the whole process, of what was actually happening.

well, hoped this helped, playing the blues is hella fun so enjoy!
I agree with Merciless, the old-time Delta blues is not much about theory.... None of those guys had any to speak of. They all learned by emulating other players.
The structure of most of these songs is simple...They standard 1-4-5 progression, 12 bars.

The old-timers were solo players and time was loose.. They didn't have a band or a bass player to keep time so they just played what they wanted.
More than a few had problems when the blues began to catch on in the big cities and they went North to record in Memphis and Chicago.
It's much more about emotion and delivery than it is about theory and scales.
Quote by Bikewer
I agree with Merciless, the old-time Delta blues is not much about theory....
It's much more about emotion and delivery than it is about theory and scales.

This is very important to keep in mind, the original blues is a music of emotion, I've even heard people say that the blue is nothing but raw emotion, made into musical form, certain techniques and templates have become standardised over time, more important than any technique is that you are able to feel the blues, so the best way to learn, is to listen to a heck of a lot of blues, understand the emotions running through them and really understand what it's all about.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
1 - Jesus, huge pic, find something smaller.
2 - Robert Johnson was not that kind of blues player. We're talking solo delta blues here, the origins of the style, nothing like the more modern electric blues apart from the foundation on a I-IV-V movement.

look at it on something bigger than your phone...

The Pentatonic scales are Pentatonic scales... and the blues has been based on Pentatonic scales since Robert Johnson, and before. and roots of modern blues can be traced right to the Delta and Robert Johnson as well as others...

OP.. use the scales or don't.. They give you a set of base notes to pull from. once you know which notes are going to fit, throw all the emotion at it that it requires...

or listen to Zaphod.. makes no difference to me

As always.. JMHO
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
Zaphod is perfectly right.

Robert Johnson's stuff isn't really like the single note blues leads we're generally used to hearing, it's far more chordal in nature so a map of the minor pentatonic isn't really much of help.

I'm currently deciding whether or not to move this to MT...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Robert Johnson and delta blues style aside... that graph will be very useful to you no doubt and in the eventuality you want to branch out with your blues playing and learn some later-style lead, the scales will be indispensable to you for sure.