I've been doing a lot of looking online and I've managed to amass a number of free sites and YouTube videos to try to learn from. I work pretty well with self-teaching, especially so since I really do not have the money or time for formal lessons. I plan to learn on my own, more or less as a hobby. Are there any of the CD/DVD book collection learning programs worth a shot?

I looked at these two:

From Gibson: http://www.learnandmaster.com/guitar/

and

Nate Savage: http://www.guitarsystem.com/

The Gibson one seems more polished and in looking at the sample videos, it seems pretty straightforward for someone like me who had no experience whatsoever in playing guitar. The Guitar System one seems ok too.

Anyone out there use these or another kind to learn basics? How did you like it and is it worth the cost?

Thanks!
I'm going to recommend to you the same two things I recommend to everyone about learning:

1 - If you're going to pay, get a real life teacher. No question about this in my mind, there's so much free, really good information out there on the internet that unless you're going to get a teacher there's no point spending any money. I know you said you don't have the time or money for lessons but I'm emphasising the point to stress that there's no real need to pay for those kinds of courses.

2 - http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php Justin Sandercoe is my go-to guy for beginners and a lot of slightly more experienced players as well. He's not so amazing for people who want to move in to proper shredding, modern metal rhythm or real jazz but for nearly everything else he's really good.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I forgot to mention that I had found Justinguitar.com as well and I like his style of teaching. I wasn't sure if I should just dive in with something that costs $$ or just try to do it through the free stuff I see on the web. Justinguitar also has his own system :-). I followed your link and theres a ton of stuff there. Thanks!
I got 1on 1 lessons for a short time (about 3 months) then taught myself with the help of the internet however 10 years later I really wish I had done 1 on 1 lessons with someone for much longer and now plan to start taking lessons again to fill in the gaps and learn some new stuff.
I started to learn guitar in the mid-70s. Most all my friends played; they were all folk-era players from the local "Gaslight Square" era.
There was no internet, no DVDs, nothing of the sort. I watched my friends and stole licks from them and got books out of the library. I subscribed to Guitar Player magazine. Still learning at 67....
I started in the mid-80s. Someone showed me the basic major & minor chords and the pentatonic minor scale & that's the only lesson I ever had.

Everything else I learned by listening to music & working things out by myself. Like Bikewer said, there wasn't any internet or DVDs etc. You had to do everything for yourself.

Having said that, I never applied myself as I should have until the past few years. I was always OK, but never more than a rhythm guy until recently. If I'd had lessons way back when I first started, I'd probably be a hell of a lot better than I am today.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Alone in my room, without computers long time ago. With Randy Rhoads tab book, and lots of guitar world magazines
Very cool, guys :-) I couldn't even imagine trying to learn all this without the internet. Sad, right? Im thankful for every resource though!
A "Rockschool" book, an ancient chord book of my dad's, a crapload of guitar magazines and tab books.

When I got to university there was also the fledgling OLGA so I spend many late nights in the computer lab printing tabs off the dot-matrix printer - but no online lessons, no online audio and no YouTube
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ haha I'd forgotten about OLGA
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hahahaha Thanks for the link
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 11, 2014,
i originally learnt an E chord like this.

F5]0=10=0
F6]0==0=0
F7]03=040

and

F5]0=10==
F6]0==0==
F7]02=034

from being self taught with a old acoustic thing i got myself as a kid.

hang on while i figure out how th heck to format it.
edit: right, ok.
'Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful'
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Last edited by bigfootedfred at Jan 20, 2014,
I am "self taught" as well from basically this forum and a bit of Justin, the rest I figured out from tabs, transcribing/ear and trial&error. I tried watching some instructional DVDs from ie. Alexi Laiho and Michael Angelo Batio, but what that was pretty much just those guys showing off 200bpm shred (with no real explanation)...which was completely useless.
Anyway I've been going for a few years and I would advise against it and suggest getting a teacher. It'll be far more effective, I'm not very good - probably have a ton of fundamentally bad technique and would have been way better in the same time with real life guidance from a good teacher.
'The Guitar Handbook' by Ralph Denyer, also guitar mags and learning new licks and tips off other guitarists. No t'internet in the 80's

I'd recommend guitar lessons of you can afford them. I wish i had. Bad habits picked up can be a pain in the arse to get rid of later. Best to get the right approach for you at the beginning.
Same as many others....I started in the mid 80's, no computer, no internet. All my friends played and we used to hang at this jam space where all the older kids would shred and show us all sorts of stuff. I read a lot of "Guitar mag for the practicing musician".
"Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?"
Quote by Killing Hand

I'd recommend guitar lessons of you can afford them. I wish i had. Bad habits picked up can be a pain in the arse to get rid of later. Best to get the right approach for you at the beginning.

completely agree. get along down the road it haunts you. have to rework entire things so changes can work.
'Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful'
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
It was a long a** time ago! 22 years this April. I had a teacher the first 6 months, who helped a great deal. After that I was self taught. Obviously no internet (well, there was but it was super primitive, and didn't have guitar tabs on it). You just listened to stuff over and over (and in my case, over and over and over and over..etc) and figured it out. If you picked up a guitar mag and it had a tab of something you liked, it was like you hit the jackpot! The guitar mags often had really good lessons, so I would spend time learning from those. And I'd often buy books with my favorites tunes transcribed.
If I could go back and do it differently, I'd have stuck with a teacher for longer. There was so much stuff I struggled with for years that a teacher could have helped me fix.