So I've been thinking about changing cabinets from my Marshall 4x12 to an Avatar 2x12 but I don't know a whole lot about speakers. From hearing different comparisons I feel like the Celestion Greenbacks sound much more clear than Vintage 30s. I was thinking about putting one Hellatone 60 and one Greenback in the 2x12 Avatar cabinet. I play classic rock stuff for the most part, so I want the clearest speakers that would fit my style. Thanks

-Joe

By the way my amp head is a Marshall JVM410H
Quote by lightningjoe88
So I've been thinking about changing cabinets from my Marshall 4x12 to an Avatar 2x12 but I don't know a whole lot about speakers. From hearing different comparisons I feel like the Celestion Greenbacks sound much more clear than Vintage 30s. I was thinking about putting one Hellatone 60 and one Greenback in the 2x12 Avatar cabinet. I play classic rock stuff for the most part, so I want the clearest speakers that would fit my style. Thanks

-Joe

By the way my amp head is a Marshall JVM410H

greenbacks for classic rock is all win.

unfortunately your 100 watt amp has the ability to overpower a 2x12 loaded with a greenback and V30 as such a cab would only be rated for 50 watts.

i would get a V30 and a G12M-65 (creamback) as it's just a higher power handling version of the greenback. this comes at a more premium price from avatar though.

personally, if i was playing classic rock, i'd prefer to either go with two G12M-65's or a G12M-65 and a G12H-75 in one cab. this would be more geared toward the classic rock tone, though a V30 is pretty versatile and will help you cut through the mix more (i just don't personally like V30's as well)

my 'classic marshall cab' is an orange ppc212 (equivalent of a contemporary avatar cab) loaded with a weber silver bell and a weber blue dog. that is some great british tone. just sharing.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
In all the clips the V30s just sounded muddy to me. That's all great info, thanks. How do I match the speakers to the head I have watts-wise?
Quote by lightningjoe88
In all the clips the V30s just sounded muddy to me. That's all great info, thanks. How do I match the speakers to the head I have watts-wise?

wow, i actually stopped using V30's because of how harsh they sounded to me. if i used a V30 i would try to match a speaker more known for low end and maybe a bit of scooped mids to compliment it (like G12K-100 or a swamp thang). to me the V30's actually sounded 'ice picky' with a pronounced mids hump.

as far as speaker specs you only need to worry about two things: impedance and power rating.

power rating is fairly simple, you just need to make sure the speaker setup can handle the output of the amp. you have a 100 watt amp, so you'd want a speaker setup rated for more than 100 watts. to figure out how much a speaker setup can handle you just use the formula:

(lowest speaker power rating) * (number of speakers in cab) = (power rating)

so if you use a greenback G12M-25 with a V30 then the G12M-25 is a 25 watt speaker and the V30 is a 60 watt speaker. you'd use the G12M-25's rating cuz it is lower:

25 * 2 = 50 watts

if you use the G12M-65 creamback (65 watts) with a V30 then you'd use the V30's lower power rating, so:

60 * 2 = 120 watts

the 120 watt rating could easily handle everything your marshall could throw at it.

now impedance. you want to match your amp's output impedance with your speaker cabinet's rated impedance. your marshall seems to be able to handle 16, 8 or 4 ohm loads. you pretty much have two good options open to you:

1) get a 16 ohm rated cabinet. this would entail two 8 ohm speaker wired in series.

2) get an 8 ohm rated cabinet. this would entail two 16 ohms speakers wired in parallel.

i would prefer getting the 8 ohm cabinet because parallel wiring is advantageous in case a speaker goes down then the other speaker will still work. that is not likely to happen but it's as good a reason as any to pick an impedance for your cab.

so if you get an 8 ohm cab use ones of the 8 ohm outs on the amp to connect it. if you get a 16 ohm cabinet then use the 16 ohm out on the amp to connect it.

simple.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
WGS makes a higher wattage greenback clone if you wanted a 2x12. thier speakers are great and about 70 bucks retail, about that you would pay from AVATAR. except, you must pay seperate tax / retail. shipping on 2 speakers was a big heavy box so it did cost a bit.

i payed more for WGS speakers than i would have for celestions straight from AVATAR, and i am glad i did!!
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
v30s are a lot clearer than greenbacks (assuming by "clearer" you mean "tighter")

but as gumbi says, GBs are better for classic rock. he's also bang on when he warns you about the wattage thing, I haven't tried them but the creambacks would be safer. maybe a combination of the g12h30 and greenback creambacks.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?