Hi guys, I never played guitar for a very long time already... I decided to come back playing and to take it seriously and practice daily if possible.
I'm into rock, heavy metal, thrash or any related to that genre.
So far I played Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, PanterA, Kreator, lamb of god and other old school stuffs..
but I can only play riffs, I hope someday I can play the song's leads
I'm super noob as of now, I only rely on tabs when I want to learn new song..
so anyway, can you suggest me a youtube video of a tutorial that will improve my playing ? Thanks
Hi and welcome!

First off, since you are just beginning and because you want to play the stuff that you want to play, I'd recommend you to go slow first. Those riffs are usually fast and if you try to learn them at original speed, it will sound sloppy. Learn the stuff at a slow speed, like half speed, until you can execute it perfectly at that point. Then speed it up a little, practice until perfect execution, rinse and repeat. I'm sorry if you are already aware of this and I'm just blabbering, but I'll emphasize it anyway. You can try some slower songs or ballads by them first, since they will be simpler.

As for the tutorials, youtube videos... there are very few of those that cover an entire beginner's course or stuff like that. But you will probably use alternate picking a lot, based on the genre, so here is a great article on UG about that, with a lot of exercise examples!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/alternate_picking_technique.html

Maybe I can forward some other stuff, but nothing comes to mind right now. I'll just say that when playing, try to avoid tension... if you're playing so fast you start tensing up, it's too fast for you. Your motions when playing must be completely relaxed, because you won't get fatigued quickly and you will develop correct technique much faster. Also, practice with a metronome. Developing a good sense of rhythm is a must. I hope this helped at least a little, and good luck!
Quote by Navi_96
Hi and welcome!

First off, since you are just beginning and because you want to play the stuff that you want to play, I'd recommend you to go slow first. Those riffs are usually fast and if you try to learn them at original speed, it will sound sloppy. Learn the stuff at a slow speed, like half speed, until you can execute it perfectly at that point. Then speed it up a little, practice until perfect execution, rinse and repeat. I'm sorry if you are already aware of this and I'm just blabbering, but I'll emphasize it anyway. You can try some slower songs or ballads by them first, since they will be simpler.

As for the tutorials, youtube videos... there are very few of those that cover an entire beginner's course or stuff like that. But you will probably use alternate picking a lot, based on the genre, so here is a great article on UG about that, with a lot of exercise examples!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/guitar_techniques/alternate_picking_technique.html

Maybe I can forward some other stuff, but nothing comes to mind right now. I'll just say that when playing, try to avoid tension... if you're playing so fast you start tensing up, it's too fast for you. Your motions when playing must be completely relaxed, because you won't get fatigued quickly and you will develop correct technique much faster. Also, practice with a metronome. Developing a good sense of rhythm is a must. I hope this helped at least a little, and good luck!

Hey thanks for the tip. I really appreciate it
can you suggest some cool ballad songs as you mention ?
Thanks
For the bands that you mention... A tout le Monde (Megadeth), Until it Sleeps, Fade to Black (Metallica), Biggest Part of Me (Pantera).

Nothing Else Matters is also cool, but it's played fingerstyle so you can try that when you have a few others under your belt.