I would like to know what speakers or combination
of speakers would be best for hard rock to metal in
2x12 configuration. Now I'm using 70/80's and they
are ok but I'm looking for something less vanilla in tone.
My amp is Randall Rm100, various humbucker equipped
guitars,pedals. Budget 250 to 300 USD but would like to
save as much as possible for new modules for my amp thanks.
I'll just throw these out there before a million Celestion 100s and V30 suggestions. Jensen Mod 12-110s are very articulate and punchy. Tight low end but never gets muddy. 12-110 is the biggest (110=110 watts) and it's the best choice. Highest sensitivity rating and it won't go into speaker distortion on you.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
i will always recommend WGS. most are celestions clones with a bit different "flavor" reading WGS's description of the speakers can help you get an idea of about 50% they offer. the rest are variations off of those
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
+1

Warehouse Guitar Speakers dot com has great clones of all the popular speakers.

I've had good experiences with:

Eminence Red Coat Man O War
Celestion G12H30
Celestion Classic Lead 80
Splawn Small Blocks (Greenback clones made by Eminence)
I've heard of wgs but I am a noob when it comes to speaker
swaps I'm wanting to get a nice combination of speakers for
90's hard rock to metal that won't break the bank.
I'm really enjoying my Eminence Swamp Thang/Governor combo.

Governors are Celestion V30 clones, though they're a bit different. They are a little darker and less harsh. Still lots of upper mids and they provide a good "grind" to your tone and really help cut through the mix.

The Swamp Thangs are just amazing. I don't know if there are any other speakers like them. They have this very thick "chunk" to them when you palm mute, yet they're not overly dull and dark; there's still plenty of detail in the upper mids. I play mostly extreme metal (death/black) and this combo of speakers is outstanding for what I do. That said, I can also get an excellent classic/modern rock sound out of them -- they aren't just for metal.

They are also a fair bit cheaper than Celestions, though not the cheapest speakers out there.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Thanks guys something else that I was wondering is like the
set Kailm suggested which sound up my alley will they handle
the wattage my amp pushes I'll never dime it of course but
like I said noon to the speaker world.
Quote by RJH11
Thanks guys something else that I was wondering is like the
set Kailm suggested which sound up my alley will they handle
the wattage my amp pushes I'll never dime it of course but
like I said noon to the speaker world.

The Governer is 75 watts and the swamp thang 150, so they'll handle it easily.
Right on no bullsh*t I just snagged a swamp Thang on a clist
swap new in box for one of my Ehx 44 mags!
One down one to go.
texas heat is often combined with a swamp thang

i'd have gone v30s or similar for 90s rock though
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^i have been wanting to pick up a texas heat to try it out in one of my cabs. i played one in a 5E3 clone a little while back and liked it.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I'd try either a V30 (or derivative) or Texas Heat with the Swamp Thang. I'm a huge Eminence fan, every one of my cabs is loaded with their stuff
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by gumbilicious
^i have been wanting to pick up a texas heat to try it out in one of my cabs. i played one in a 5E3 clone a little while back and liked it.

yeah the texas heat is really nice. funnily enough I might prefer it on its own than with the swamp thang. which is weird since that's a tried-and-tested combination, but yeah.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah the texas heat is really nice. funnily enough I might prefer it on its own than with the swamp thang. which is weird since that's a tried-and-tested combination, but yeah.

That's not weird, an opinion. I've had Texas Heats in a 212 and tried the Texas Heat and Swamp Thang combo (below, for about a year now). I'm going back to onlyTexas Heats in the 212.

I only have one of each, so if I want them in a 2x12 I have to use both (without buying more speakers )- but yeah I think I preferred the TH alone. It's a stereo cab, though, so I can still use it alone.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You can buy WGS from Musicians friend now and they are the same price only you get free shipping and WGS charges $20ish a speaker for shipping
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by RJH11
Right on no bullsh*t I just snagged a swamp Thang on a clist
swap new in box for one of my Ehx 44 mags!
One down one to go.

Congrats

Let us know what other speakers you see out there and we can help you out.
Well now that I got the Swamp Thang at 16 ohm
I need a good companion for it eminence
preferably what else besides what's listed
would be good thanks guys.
I have the 2x12 RM100 combo which is loaded with Celestion G12T75's and it sounds friggin awesome. Sounds great through my T75 loaded 1960A too. Perhaps the best I have ever heard from T75's. I also play an RM100 head through a greenback loaded Randall 4x12 on a regular basis and tbh, even though I am usually a big fan of greenbacks, I actually think the T75's sound better. They just seem to suit the RM100 nicely.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
I have the 2x12 RM100 combo which is loaded with Celestion G12T75's and it sounds friggin awesome. Sounds great through my T75 loaded 1960A too. Perhaps the best I have ever heard from T75's. I also play an RM100 head through a greenback loaded Randall 4x12 on a regular basis and tbh, even though I am usually a big fan of greenbacks, I actually think the T75's sound better. They just seem to suit the RM100 nicely.

I like T75s, too; but, with V30s, ala Bogner Uberkabs, it slays!
Quote by RJH11
Well now that I got the Swamp Thang at 16 ohm
I need a good companion for it eminence
preferably what else besides what's listed
would be good thanks guys.

i have my swamp thang paired with a man 'o war, from what i understand the man 'o war is the eminence version of the G12T-75 that cath was talking about. it is also a good match.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Oh, and btw, the Tweed module is ****ing brilliant. I've always been a pretty hardcore Marshall man but I have been finding myself using the Tweed module far more than the SL+.
This is what I plan to be the next addition to my rig:
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=mash-all

But I know I'll still end up using the Tweed module a lot, it's just too good. if you don't have a Tweed module, get one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks alot guys and yes Cath so many modules
not enough cash lol. I'm really liking my 1086 boosted
with just a bit of a clean boost great hard rock tone. I'll
have to snag a Tweed off eBay hopefully.
Last edited by RJH11 at Jan 11, 2014,
Something I discovered that you may want to watch too. The module chassis is a bit flimsy. If the pots take a hit they will bend the chassis and break not only the pot that took the knock but the ones next to it as well. I dropped mine and had to replace 6 pots.
Be careful how you pack it into the truck and even consider a roadcase for it. That and the flimsy Tolex are the only problems I've detected so far. Overall, I'm in love with the RM100.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification