Hi there,

I bought a B-stock guitar.. the only thing what should've been "wrong" with it was a dent in the body.. but now it arrived and the wood where the bridge is attached seems to have split along the sides. (see pics)

inside:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wy3gsw9eyph3hz8/2014-01-11%2011.07.24.jpg

the top:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3491dwjix9fx6h/2014-01-11%2011.06.05-2.jpg

and if I were to unscrew all the screws and bits are there any specifics I should be aware of?
A B-stock guitar should still be playable though, right? Before trying to fix anything, contact the store and try to get a partial refund (or complete, whatever). Also, if it was wrecked in transit, they might be able to claim the cost back from the courier.... assuming that they sent it with insurance.
well I dont know why I cant make the links "clickable" but im sorry you have to copy and paste them in your browser.

and i hope these are some clearer pictures then.

4 pics of the guitar
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m5v1xnbhdqpawa1/wqH_VZ0DA3

in text:

the wood next to the bridge attachtments has broken.. the result of this is that the bridge isnt secure. so everytime I tune the guitar its a matter of seconds before it detunes itself because the bridge is pulled up due to the string tension.

I dont think this counts as playable..

Quote by -MintSauce-
A B-stock guitar should still be playable though, right? Before trying to fix anything, contact the store and try to get a partial refund (or complete, whatever). Also, if it was wrecked in transit, they might be able to claim the cost back from the courier.... assuming that they sent it with insurance.

I've sent a mail to the E-bay shop allready but I dont have any high hopes on that turning out positive for me. So I was hoping there's a possibillity that it can be fixed.

the stated condition:
Please note, this item is being sold as B Stock without warranty.

There is a large dent to the top edge of the body, (see image 2.)

Otherwise the guitar is new.
Last edited by koenbidlot at Jan 11, 2014,
eBay is almost better, because no seller wants a dispute or negative feedback. Don't touch anything until you get a result. If they knew about the bridge split, they didn't disclose it... if they didn't know about it, the statement about the guitar being as new is false... if it happened in transit, they should be able to claim losses from the courier. Damage like that would put it into the category of trash, not B-stock. It has nothing to do with warranty. Be patient.
Quote by -MintSauce-
eBay is almost better, because no seller wants a dispute or negative feedback. Don't touch anything until you get a result. If they knew about the bridge split, they didn't disclose it... if they didn't know about it, the statement about the guitar being as new is false... if it happened in transit, they should be able to claim losses from the courier. Damage like that would put it into the category of trash, not B-stock. It has nothing to do with warranty. Be patient.

thanks I'll leave it alone then.. I openned an ebay dispute now, so let's play the waiting game..

one little (noob) sidequestion here: what's the effect of the bridge springs touching the body?
Quote by koenbidlot
thanks I'll leave it alone then.. I openned an ebay dispute now, so let's play the waiting game..

one little (noob) sidequestion here: what's the effect of the bridge springs touching the body?

Nothing much. You'd only have them touch if you do a massive dive, and they'd just interfere with the trem action. The trem block should be deep enough to allow a reasonable range of movement, even with the claw and springs stretched fully. The damage on that guitar is from the bridge being pulled up too far (either tuned way too high, or a seriously heavy dive), which has cracked it at the pivot point of the bridge. If anything, the springs would have actually been helping to resist that damage.

Edit: Or it's been dropped/hit whilst the trem arm is attached.
I would contact the seller before opening a dispute. It's a bit more civil to do it that way, in fact eBay even recommends contacting the seller first. I sell frequently and would prefer an email instead of a dispute notice.
I contacted the seller via ebay, and ebay asks for the reason and I think it opened a dispute automatically? But I the ebay message I asked the seller if they knew about this, that there was perhaps faulty control? or maybe in transit (DPD)

Ebay says if they dont here from me before feb 10th. that the dispute will be automatically closed.

and If I dont hear anything before jan. 17th the dispute will be escalated to customer support
I'm sure the seller will be more than willing to work with you. Most of the bigger sellers don't communicate on the weekend because they're a business. Me on the other hand I'm glued to my listings via Tablet and Smart phone so I get the messages right away. You'll probably hear back ASAP on Monday. They'll avoid negative feedback like the plague.
Oh but no it wont open one automatically, it more or less gives your message a letter head.
okay.. well i've sent him a message, so ill hope i get some info tomorrow.
looking for Korean made Rockster Guitar (skulls and snakes)
I got an answer today:

"Hi there, I am very sorry about the disappointment and inconvenience that you have undergone , whilst ordering with us this time around. Would you be willing to keep the guitar if I were to offer you a full refund? Kind regards. "

If/when they follow through with this, I'd say this is a very decent solution to my inconvenience/disappointment.
Quote by koenbidlot
I got an answer today:

"Hi there, I am very sorry about the disappointment and inconvenience that you have undergone , whilst ordering with us this time around. Would you be willing to keep the guitar if I were to offer you a full refund? Kind regards. "

If/when they follow through with this, I'd say this is a very decent solution to my inconvenience/disappointment.

That sounds perfectly reasonable, especially if you keep the guitar.
well no complaining about their service.. they allready gave me the refund and I get to keep the guitar...

so now my original question stands:

Can this be fixed?
(How should I approach it? and what things should I look out for when disassembling a guitar?)
AFIK, you should be able to get away with gluing it, but I'm not sure how you'd go about clamping it well.

Take the strings off first, then pop the springs off and unscrew the 6 bridge screws. It's all common sense really... take it steady and make sure you put everything back where it came from. You're going to have to be really careful when you take the bridge screws out, because you don't want to completely remove the wood from the break.

Time to buy some Titebond Original.
Quote by -MintSauce-
AFIK, you should be able to get away with gluing it, but I'm not sure how you'd go about clamping it well.

Take the strings off first, then pop the springs off and unscrew the 6 bridge screws. It's all common sense really... take it steady and make sure you put everything back where it came from. You're going to have to be really careful when you take the bridge screws out, because you don't want to completely remove the wood from the break.

Time to buy some Titebond Original.

as far as taking some screws out I'll be fine (I've taken a few saxophones apart as well) but I wondered if there were any specific traits of the guitar I should be aware of.. good call on the bridge screws.

but thanks for the advice! I have some time next week to dive into the shed I'll let you know how it went (if you're intrested or not :-p )