Hamonies? Little lead parts? Clean backing for hamonized riffs? If you need inspiration, look at Iron Maiden's last 4 albums, where they have 3 guitarists.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
That depends what the first two do.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Then surely the 3rd would just become another rhythm & lead player to interchange between?

Think about it:
You either need a 3rd guitarist or you don't.
If you aren't sure what you'd do with one, then you don't need it.
If you think something is missing from your sound, maybe it's the answer.
If the 3rd guy could genuinely bring something to the band (different sound, style etc), then maybe it's worth it.
If he does bring something like that to the band, you need to question if it replaces one of the current guitarists or if it can work in addition to what you already have. Bringing in a 3rd guy may make one of your current guys redundant.

Most importantly, if you'd be adding a 3rd guitarist to your band simply because he's a mate that wants to join, then definitely don't do it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I agree with gorkyporky, also there are a lot of bands with 2 guitarists which record songs with 3 layers of guitars to make the sound feel more big, although their live performances doesn't sound that good, you could try and see how it sounds, plus one of them could do like backing vocals or something.Also you could have like an acoustic third guitarist. However, if you don't have a third guitarist don't look for one.
Here's the situation. Today, I had a friend over for a jam session. My brother wanted to join in so yeah why not. Then, my friend suggested we start a band. And here I am.

The thing is, my friend and I, listen to mainly harder styles of music eg. zakk wylde, buckethead, jimmy page, paul gilbert and van halen. My brother listens to bon jovi and Richie Sambora mostly for sambora's playing. So in terms of adding sound diversity, he's valuable but musically speaking, he hardly even wants o listen to other artists.
Well this kind of music rarely even needs 2 guitar players, much less 3.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
There's always Baritone guitar. Helps fill out the "melodic" low-end if your bassist is solely rhythm.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by OutOfDaBox
I agree with gorkyporky, also there are a lot of bands with 2 guitarists which record songs with 3 layers of guitars to make the sound feel more big, although their live performances doesn't sound that good, you could try and see how it sounds, plus one of them could do like backing vocals or something.Also you could have like an acoustic third guitarist. However, if you don't have a third guitarist don't look for one.

Key example. A7X. The big song Bat Country has about four guitar tracks so the live version sucks
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
Learn more about your instrument mate.

For example an E chord can be played like this:

and

x
x

and

If you had 3 guitars, each playing a different voicing, the sound would be massive. It obviously doesn't stop there, there's a multitude of voicings, different strumming patterns, you could write riffs and harmonise, the choices are endless.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
If you can't find a place for the 3rd guitarist for the entirety of your songs, then think about introducing him to another instrument, not permanently mind you, just as a secondary option when a third guitar is not necessary in certain sections. Depending on the genre of music you guys want to create, you can find an instrument that will compliment it. If you're into progressive/stoner/classic rock, you can try keyboard/synth. If it's southern rock or some kind of southern/bluegrass metal hybrid, you can try a mandolin or banjo. Then, when your lead starts a solo section, he can play rhythm to keep the sound full. Helps too if you want to have dueling/harmonizing guitar solos but still want that rhythm playing.

If he absolutely has to stay but none of the above applies, then you can just have him play rhythm and harmonize with the singer. If he can't sing, then I don't know what else to tell you :P.
Play bass.

Sorry..... had to be done.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
You could have the 3rd guy send MIDI signals to a keyboard and just add little noodling here and there. You could also get somewhat of a "layered" studio sound when playing live.
the problem with guitarists is that they all want to play.....makes for mud when i t comes to live playing......

...if you each compliment eachother and are not suffering from ego and are really good musicians that comprehend Music theory and the fact that silence adds to music than you can start building harmonies and working around different places on the neck to make complex musical structures...if your all playing "chugga-chugga-chugga" it will get loud and awful.
I believe in god, jesus and the holy ghost.....or as i call them Angus, Kirk and Lemmy
Recommended threads
Usb Latency?
Pyrax87
Last post:
by strangedogs
Odd Scales
Mini-Jimmy-Page
Last post:
by Mini-Jimmy-Page