So this is kind of cool.

http://aschmann.net/AmEng/

Where do you live? Is that how you sound?

I'm from the Inland North, but I like to think I have a slightly less north-midwestern raised open vowel sound placing me in the General American category so prized by news and broadcast peoples.

EDIT: Different linky-poo
http://www.pbs.org/pov/americantongues/photo_gallery_map.php#.UtE277RZpco
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Jan 11, 2014,
****, way to go UG, you broke it, I swear it worked like 15 minutes ago.
All Americans sound the same anyway. Whiny and annoying

Apart from those "yee-haw" hillbilly types
The American accent probably desends from the SouthWest UK accents. Which would explain why James Hetfield sounds like a pirate when singing Master of Puppets!!!!
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
It always tells me I have no regional accent, and talk how people on TV would talk
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WCPhils
It always tells me I have no regional accent, and talk how people on TV would talk

This.
Sail upon the open skies
I always get second hand embarrassment for American tourists when I hear them talking here, the other day I was in Subway and this american family came in and the mom said in this real loud nasally Jewish New York accent, "Hey, I want a cup of COUGHFEE, do you guys have COUGHFEE", why put so much emphasis on the word coffee.
Quote by AmalgamOfMeat
This seems interesting. I wish it worked.

Yeah, me too.
I'm from western Pennsylvania which has a reputation for a pretty distinctive local accent/dialect ("Pittsburghese"), but I pretty much just speak in a generic voice without a regional accent. I'm kinda thankful that the local accent hasn't rubbed off on me because some of the hallmarks of it are just SO grating to my ears (wash="worsh," downtown="dahntahn," etc)
This Dawn vs Don thing is messing with my head. Cot, caught...
Last edited by MakinLattes at Jan 11, 2014,
Quote by anguskilminster
The American accent probably desends from the SouthWest UK accents. Which would explain why James Hetfield sounds like a pirate when singing Master of Puppets!!!!

The variety spoken in the 1600s, yes.

I find American accents interesting but have never really been compelled to analyse them in any depth.
american accents are just terrible
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I probably have some boring Western US accent with a touch of an awful American South accent via living in Houston for eight years.
I don't have an American accent, but going by the map, I should have a hybrid of Northern New England, North Central, and The West.
inland North master race

Rod Serling is our example
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
I don't have an accent, everyone else does though.

EDIT: That site is the biggest wall of text I've ever seen.
Last edited by Thrill-house at Jan 11, 2014,