So I know someone tried to get UGers to study with last year, but it never really took off so I thought I'd give it another shot even though it's most likely doomed to fail. It was actually that thread that got me into it so thanks a lot past TS.

For those who don't know, Coursera is a site that provides free university level module courses, taught by lecturers at actual universities. There are lecture videos, homework assignments and you get some sort of certificate at the end of most of them. There are currently 559 courses on offer and there's a pretty good variety. Just go on and browse and see if there's something for you.

Personally I started doing them because I just fancied learning some new stuff for fun (cos apparently I'm a nerd lel), but then I did the Machine Learning course which is actually relevant to my field and I've been able to undertake a pretty hardcore project for my final year of my actual degree because of it. And even if you take a course unrelated to your field, you'll probably find that you learn some things that are helpful to you overall.
But apart from learning stuff, telling a potential employer that you took some extra courses in stuff shows motivation and a desire to learn, at the very least.

Courses I've done:
Cryptography I - there's another iteration of this course that has just started, so if anyone gets in on that I can help out
Computing for Data Analysis - I didn't finish this because I had too much other stuff to do and it was a bit basic (basically just an R tutorial). I kinda got all I needed from it though.
Machine Learning - Just finished this one and it was fantastic, would definitely recommend. There are a couple of bits where he skips over some maths but overall he covers a huge amount of stuff and I came out understanding all of it

And as of yesterday, I've just started this one in Computational Neuroscience, which is pretty good so far (learned about cat brains wow yeh). If anyone wants to join me on this it's be pretty cool (while obviously not being cool at all) cos we could like study together.
And I'm starting Crypto II in about a month, but you need Crypto I for that really.

The idea of this thread is that maybe a few people (myself included maybe because I could probably take on one more course without dying) could find a course that interests all of them and have some sort of study group and it would be like Community or something.
So maybe what you could do if you fancy learning something is go and look to see if there are any courses that interest you and post them here. They all start at different times of the year so it might not be that we begin immediately.

You can drop out at any time too and there's nothing to lose really, so if you think something might be interesting to you, might as well give it a go.
hmu if you need more general information about Coursera or the courses I've done.

edit: wow fuck me that was a big post but you're an intellectual now so you should be able to read a great wall of text
Aw no there are so many courses I'd love to take from there. But I'm super busy until August at least and I know for sure I won't have time to keep up with anything extra

If I could take one right now though, it'd definitely be Bioinformatic Methods I

hey wait I also want to learn about cat brains
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Jan 11, 2014,
I've done Social Network analyis, Improv 101(on sax), guitar 101 and astronomy intro course.. all very fun and a good way to braoden your view.
Quote by captainsnazz

And as of yesterday, I've just started this one in Computational Neuroscience, which is pretty good so far (learned about cat brains wow yeh). r

Did that one last year, but stopped after 3 weeks. The information content was quite high and I was quite busy with my job and master thesis. They have some nice stuff, but I am too busy these days.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by King Donkey
This looks fantastic! What are the music courses like?

A friend of mine did a jazz improv course. He had to turn in weekly assignments which were usually either stuff like soloing over a backing track or stuff like transcribing jazz solos.
Quote by sickman411
A friend of mine did a jazz improv course. He had to turn in weekly assignments which were usually either stuff like soloing over a backing track or stuff like transcribing jazz solos.

I was actually looking at that course just now, definitely sounds worthwhile. Might look a bit further into this because at the moment I suck at improvising. Did your friend benefit much from the course?
West Ham United
Quote by King Donkey
I was actually looking at that course just now, definitely sounds worthwhile. Might look a bit further into this because at the moment I suck at improvising. Did your friend benefit much from the course?

It's a good course.. but can be quite demanding, the learning curve is quite steep and things move fast. weekly assignments which get peer assessed after you assess 5 other's.

you'll definitely learn a lot, not only in playing but also in listening. I thought it was very worthwile. the course is taught by Gary Burton, he uses his vibraphone for demonstration of the theory.
Quote by King Donkey

I've noticed he's maybe more comfortable and adventurous when he's improvising. (He's my bandmate so we jam often.)
I took a songwriting class on there a few months ago. It was taught by this guy Pat Pattison or whatever, it was pretty cool.
I would love to do this but I'm already occupied with a full course load at the University I'm attending. Maybe during the summer though
Quote by macashmack
I took a songwriting class on there a few months ago. It was taught by this guy Pat Pattison or whatever, it was pretty cool.

Yeah, the same friend I mentioned earlier registered for that course but didn't actually do it, he just downloaded the videos and we watched the first couple of videos together. Quite an interesting guy, that Pattison fellow. The first lesson was really weird to watch at first.
Quote by sickman411
Yeah, the same friend I mentioned earlier registered for that course but didn't actually do it, he just downloaded the videos and we watched the first couple of videos together. Quite an interesting guy, that Pattison fellow. The first lesson was really weird to watch at first.

Yea he's weirdo. I learned a lot from the course though I highly recommend it.
This is so cool! I'm curious about cryptography. Could you talk about this more? I'd like to try Crypto II, but I think I'd face a really sharp learning curve. My programming is very basic (JCreator, MATLAB). What was part 1 like?

(I signed up for some business courses for the summer. I wanted to do part 1, but I've got finals and such--so not right now. It'd be cool to have you as a study partner though).