Population Distribution Map Shows Shocking Modern-Day Segregation In Cities

Page 1 of 2
http://youngprogressivevoices.com/2013/08/27/population-distribution-map-shows-shocking-modern-day-segregation-in-cities-infographics/

Article shows off some crazy neighborhood/race correlation in cities like Detroit and Houston, use the real map to find your city and feel bad

http://demographics.coopercenter.org/DotMap/index.html

My city

Bottom right is university zone, middle is poor people ville, top right and left is retirement city
*old timey map shows shocking segregation everywhere, by law.

Not really that shocking if you live in a major city. People tend to live where other people "like" them live. Recent immigrant groups tend to live together and so on. Give it another 50 years, it'll look different.
EDIT: ^ lol yeah that

Not that shocking really.
Walk around any major city here (especially London, Bristol, Birmingham) and there are "white" areas, "black" areas, "asian" areas.
It seems more segregation by choice than racist intent. There's almost always mixing, but people within certain cultures just stick together for a large part.
Last edited by SkepsisMetal at Jan 11, 2014,
Quote by SkepsisMetal
EDIT: ^ lol yeah that

Not that shocking really.
Walk around any major city here (especially London, Bristol, Birmingham) and there are "white" areas, "black" areas, "asian" areas.
It seems more segregation by choice than racist intent. There's almost always mixing, but people within certain cultures just stick together for a large part.

Southall here in London even has its station name written in Hindi, I noticed
I think you're confusing neighborhoods of heavy cultural identity with "segregation".

EDIT: Looking at South Florida is hiliarious haha. Maybe people somewhere will finally believe that you can be white and a minority in South Florida high schools.
My God, it's full of stars!
Last edited by Dreadnought at Jan 11, 2014,
Quote by Basti95
Southall here in London even has its station name written in Hindi, I noticed

Isn't that the area which has the largest Sikh worship...temple? in Europe or something?
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Isn't that the area which has the largest Sikh worship...temple? in Europe or something?

Yes.

Love Southall. The high street is mental.
There are like...zero green dots in my city.

Big old orange section, though.
Check out my band Disturbed
>non-aryans
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I don't think it's segregation in the sense that people are forced into ghettos, people that have more things in common just tend to live close to each other. I wonder what it looks like in Southern Canada.
if it's not forced it's not segregation.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Cleveland is mostly black people though and I can't even tell for sure where that is on the map
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Well I live in a little pocket of white/asian which is largely surrounded by a protective layer of hispanics. I feel safe.
Philly (at least I think. It was hard to tell what I was looking at to be perfectly honest)

Quote by Dreadnought
I think you're confusing neighborhoods of heavy cultural identity with "segregation".

yea
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Jan 11, 2014,
Click "add map labels" to show city and street names
Quote by Dreadnought
Click "add map labels" to show city and street names

ah thanks

Got it right! Really didn't look like any other map I've seen of the city
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Most cities of mix races in the entire world are like this...
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
segregation can be voluntary. please refer to a dictionary guys.

this is a really interesting map. it's a bit misleading though. for example, areas that appear all blue under closer inspection have trickles of other colors. in fact i think the blue tends to stand out more, giving the impression that some fairly mixed areas are total white bread.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn

this is a really interesting map. it's a bit misleading though. for example, areas that appear all blue under closer inspection have trickles of other colors. in fact i think the blue tends to stand out more, giving the impression that some fairly mixed areas are total white bread.

Yea, I noticed this. I looked at where I live and it looks almost entirely white which isn't true. The majority is but there are a ton of hispanics and asians too. You can't see the yellow over the blue at all.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Last edited by WCPhils at Jan 11, 2014,
Quote by Eastwinn
segregation can be voluntary. please refer to a dictionary guys.

Wow you're obnoxious
Where I live now is incredibly diverse. I'll put a pic up when I get home
Louisville has like 50% blacks and whites, according to this map. And it's pretty nearly evenly split, with blacks on the west side and whites on the east.

Which fits the stereotypes of the city.

The west end is somewhere a vanilla truffle like me would ever venture to.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Jan 11, 2014,
Kansas City is fairly integrated, at least the small little area of it I live in is. But you go south to Overland Park or up to Parkville and it's almost all white, and to the east in Kansas City, MO it gets a lot more segregated, including one section where there's a white and a black neighborhood separated by a street.
Quote by Dreadnought
Wow you're obnoxious

i'm defending the use of the word, i'm not trying to make a point.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Dreadnought
Wow you're obnoxious

There is actually some truth in what he says, a majority of people tend to prefer having others with the same cultural background around them. Ofcourse there are tons of other reasons for segregation, most of which are quite involuntary, but it's a factor that should be taken into account.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
1. These maps mean nothing
2. Who cares?
3. People can live wherever they like
4. This was made by liberals, wasn't it?
I have nothing important to say
Milwaukee is notorious for being the most segregated city in the U.S.

#1 baby!
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by JackSaints
2. Who cares?

Well most of this exists because of wage inequality, so I'm sure those who make less care a lot.

OH WAIT LIBERALS
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by JackSaints
2. Who cares?

Lol liberals are the best my friend.
Page 1 of 2