Page 1 of 3
So i just spent about $3200 on tuition not including books. So I went today to my school's bookstore after taking out a loan to buy books and I spent roughly $430 on three books and an online access code for one of my courses. Guess which one was the most expensive one?

The online access code. It was $190 alone. For a ****ing. Online. Access. Code. What the ****ing ****? How the **** does a piece of cardboard with a scratch off code that gives you access to some homework and exams cost more than an actual textbook or you know, a months worth of food for a poor student like me? I remember when codes like this were like $50 at best and they gave you access for a year. Now it's more than tripled that and guess what? THEY CUT OFF ACCESS AFTER JUST ONE SEMESTER BECAUSE **** YOU GIVE ME MONEY.

Jesus, and this is after you pay an extra $175 fee for every online class you take. Sometimes I wonder why I even go to school. I literally pay the school ~$4000 a semester to **** my asshole apart. I mean seriously. Goddamn America, squeeze me for all im worth, am I right?

idk i just needed to vent because i cannot believe i spent that much on a piece of cardboard but of course, if i dont buy it i fail the class and look at that--it's a requirement to graduate. wonderful. share stories of schools ****ing you or something
pinga
I just took an interim class and had to buy a 190$ book. I used it for five days and I can't return it to the book store so...yeah.

GG college.
I haz gotten gud
Capitalism.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
First world problems, or you can always torrent the books pdfs.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH

It's not the online book I care about. Without the code, you don't have access to the actual quizzes and exams. So If you don't buy them you can't do any of the assignments and therefore, fail.
pinga
yeah i've paid a lot for "hybrid" courses. i rent my books now though because i never use them anyway.
i don't know why i feel so dry
>goes to school bookstore, complains

don't buy from your school's bookstore then
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
The access code dudes realized that the way they're set up, they can charge whatever they want and you'll pay for it because you have to. Last semester my Calculus code was between 100 and 200 dollars, and I would have paid what they told me because I had to. It's not like my Psychology class where I could get away with pirating the book, or hell, not even getting it at all because I never even used it.

Thank god I'm covered by scholarships and grants. Otherwise I'd be screwed.
I bought an access code two semesters ago, and the thing I always fear most with those damn things happened.

It didn't work.

Luckily my professor was able to sort it out with whoever it was through, so I didn't have to buy another one. It's stupid how much they cost, just so you can access stuff online.

I don't even want to get into what I pay to live on campus.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH

That would only be true if the US was a first world country. The fact that health care sucks and education is for rich people says otherwise.

I've paid 120€ per semester for my university degree/diploma/whateveryoucallit and that covers unlimited access to all online stuff and a library with more books you can read in 8 semesters.
Here in English uni's we have libraries, so we don't need to buy books…

However, most of our tuition fees are £9k ($14.8k) a year. (I got lucky and was the last year at £3.6k)
Poop on it dude...

I got to return almost all of my loans
I eat bananas vigorously

BUTTS.

To the pit because i don't feel like doing real life.
All that shit makes me happy to be a European
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
-Douglas Adams
Quote by Hippedkille
That's why I love Finland's education system.

Yeah but mandatory army... No thanks!
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by azrael667
That would only be true if the US was a first world country. The fact that health care sucks and education is for rich people says otherwise.

I've paid 120€ per semester for my university degree/diploma/whateveryoucallit and that covers unlimited access to all online stuff and a library with more books you can read in 8 semesters.

The education and healthcare systems are first world systems, sure they have their problems, just like all countries'. Being a first world country doesn't mean you suddenly don't have to improve things anymore; it doesn't mean your country is perfect.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by tim_mop
Here in English uni's we have libraries, so we don't need to buy books…

However, most of our tuition fees are £9k ($14.8k) a year. (I got lucky and was the last year at £3.6k)

You could always go to scotland, or a different european country, where studying is free/cheaper. Didn't they establish those fees to keep people from other countries away?
"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space."
-Douglas Adams
Quote by frankv
Access codes are the worst. If it's just a book you can at least buy them second-hand (or be bum like me and pirate them).

This seems like something I should make myself aware of.

Access codes where I am cost at least $40.
Buy your books used or at a discount store. The campus shops are always the most expensive. If your school is semestered you can have a friend take some classes now and you can take them the one after. I'm sure your friends would trade or sell to you for a good price. Or just go halfsies and share.
My tuition was 6.5k. And all this time I was told that American tuition is supposed to be more expensive than Canadian. I must have given them 18k, and my parents probably gave them another 5k after books. And that doesn't even include a place to stay or food to eat or a vehicle to get to the different campuses.

And after all of that. All the misery busting my ass to get good grades. All friends I've grown distant with. All the times I almost fell asleep in class because I was up all night working so I could give them money. I am not guaranteed a good job, as I am now finding out.

Right now I really regret having gone to university as I can't find a decent job. And I didn't even take no sissy arts degree. I took science.
Scottish free tuition Master Race reporting in. EDIT: I think if I was American, I would probably have done a trade.
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Jan 11, 2014,
Quote by Cb4rabid
It's not the online book I care about. Without the code, you don't have access to the actual quizzes and exams. So If you don't buy them you can't do any of the assignments and therefore, fail.

yeah but all your other books are definitely either

-torrentable
-used and therefore cheaper (amazon, kijiji, friends)
-available in bookstores run by students or other people who sell our books for cheaper (not ridic cheaper, better off with other options unless youre a tool)

The codes understandable, but books are something that any student is able to get out of purchasing if they do little research beforehand - and i mean it, i could really care less about what course youre taking and blah blah blah, your books are online dude

Edit: btw ts, what are you studying anyways?
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
Quote by metal4eva_22
I am not guaranteed a good job, as I am now finding out.

Right now I really regret having gone to university as I can't find a decent job. And I didn't even take no sissy arts degree. I took science.

im sorry dude, but you were a fool in the first place to believe a science degree was worth anymore than an arts degree. people need to do some research beforehand. Unless youre some 4.0 student and are getting coops and experience in the field and networking arond like oure supposed to be if you wanted to get a job in the field, or did some homework to realize that science degrees really dont open as many doors as you think, you wouldnt be in this mess
Current Gear:
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
Quote by Philip_pepper
Scottish free tuition Master Race reporting in. EDIT: I think if I was American, I would probably have done a trade.

Yeah Scottish and Europeans have it made.

Welsh fee's are not as bad as English either if you're poor like me.

I think i'll only have to pay about £3.4k of the £9k average a year. I hear they're going to raise the price from £9k to £12k-£15k too for most.

Quote by metal4eva_22
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH

poverty isn't exactly a first world problem
Quote by Wormholes
That's nothing. Real colleges will run you 30k plus per year.

"real" colleges? got any examples? As a canadian, the way americans distinguish colleges and universities totally confuses me. It seems as if they're on the same level, whereas here college is under unis (in terms of "professionalism", college kids are way smarter to be getting a trade than business or social science degree
Current Gear:
Boss GT-6
Quote by Wormholes
That's nothing. Real colleges will run you 30k plus per year.

lol "real colleges." People like to assuage the stress over their overpriced college experience by associating it with legitimacy.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by dudester410
"real" colleges? got any examples? As a canadian, the way americans distinguish colleges and universities totally confuses me. It seems as if they're on the same level, whereas here college is under unis (in terms of "professionalism", college kids are way smarter to be getting a trade than business or social science degree

college and university are different names for the same thing here

It's just the next step after high school
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Basti95
poverty isn't exactly a first world problem

You'd be surprised.

Quote by metal4eva_22
Quote by Rossenrot
No.

Yes. They make this shit so ridicilously expensive because students have to buy their books anyway, not because the production costs require them to do so.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Last edited by the bartender at Jan 11, 2014,
Are you sure there aren't any other options? Are ya sure?

Whelp hokay then.
Last edited by Masquirina at Jan 11, 2014,
Quote by the bartender
Yes. They make this shit so ridicilously expensive because students have to buy their books anyway, not because the production costs require them to do so.

Which takes competition completely out of the market, which drives the market away from equilibrium, which is the exact opposite of capitalism.

I sware to gawd, anti-capitalists are the conspiracy theorists of economics.
lol @ "dont buy them from the school bookstore". trust me, I KNOW its much more expensive there but I don't have a choice. Basically I don't have money (or enough to spend 400 on books) so the school offers me a short term ''book advance''. the trade off is that this money goes into my school ID and I can only use the money on my ID on school campus. so basically, its either buy the books now with the loan they give me or wait until i save up enough money to buy them elsewhere for cheaper, although by then ill be two-three weeks into the semester and have not done any assignments etc.
pinga
Page 1 of 3