I have come across a few great sounding scooped mid pickups on the internet. however, they all seem to sound way too much like john mayers tone. I understand that this is just what companies are trying to make in their pickup sound like. just wondering if there are pickups out there that are scooped that don't sound too much like his tone.
I'm playing through a fender but have been waiting for a blue angel to show up somewhere
Last edited by gambit1983 at Jan 11, 2014,
Quote by gambit1983
you think its more the amp that gives off his tone? I'm playing through a fender but have been waiting for a blue angel to show up somewhere

well yes to a degree. you would need different frequencies to be scooped on the pickup to get different results (more or less) can't say I'm familiar with scooped single coil pups which ones are you referring to? have you tried Lace Sensor Golds?
i really didnt like the demos i heard of those pickups. i really like klein pickups..69's jazzy cats..s-5
don't really have experience with those. what exactly are you going after tone wise?
Quote by gambit1983
i would say glassy tones.

well that is typically the description for strat tones using clean settings. meyer is known for his clean tones which many would say is glassy. so with that in mind what would you like to be different about your tone? different amp and settings may help
Quote by Mephaphil
Lace Golds are amazing. If you don't buy them you need professional help.

for what he wants seems to be a good answer. thye take a bit of getting used to and often the demos don't do them justice.
really? the few demos i heard of the lace golds, i really didnt like them at all. guess i'll have to find some more demos.
I don't see what's so wrong with having a tone similar to John Mayer. Are you worried it'll make you get more ladies? That being said, most Strats I play have the Mayer and the ubertwang as options for tones. What I get out of your first post is that you love the sound of these pickups, but you're worried people will think you're ripping off Mayer's tone, is that right? If so, I'd say stop worrying about it. Apart from allegedly being a racist and a terrible human being, John Mayer doesn't have a single flaw, we could all benefit from being a bit more like John Mayer.

Play what you like best - if that sounds close to someone else, oh well. Just don't go out of your way to be as your favorite guitarist. Stevie Ray Vaughan fans: read that last sentence to yourselves 8 more times. Tattoo it on your dick. Whatever it takes for you to remember that one sentence. There is a pretty clear line between music and LARPing, and you all cross it
Israel is a terrorist state.
Quote by JD Close
I don't see what's so wrong with having a tone similar to John Mayer. Are you worried it'll make you get more ladies? That being said, most Strats I play have the Mayer and the ubertwang as options for tones. What I get out of your first post is that you love the sound of these pickups, but you're worried people will think you're ripping off Mayer's tone, is that right? If so, I'd say stop worrying about it. Apart from allegedly being a racist and a terrible human being, John Mayer doesn't have a single flaw, we could all benefit from being a bit more like John Mayer.

Play what you like best - if that sounds close to someone else, oh well. Just don't go out of your way to be as your favorite guitarist. Stevie Ray Vaughan fans: read that last sentence to yourselves 8 more times. Tattoo it on your dick. Whatever it takes for you to remember that one sentence. There is a pretty clear line between music and LARPing, and you all cross it

I see a problem with it cause you could write a bunch of really good tunes and people would say "hey this is really good, but it just kinda sounds like.." ..mayer/SRV/Hendrix etc.
Quote by gambit1983
I see a problem with it cause you could write a bunch of really good tunes and people would say "hey this is really good, but it just kinda sounds like.." ..mayer/SRV/Hendrix etc.

If your blues rock sounds unique you're missing the point of blues rock. Regardless, I wouldn't worry about it, like I said. You are going to sound different from them no matter what. It seems to me that you're working yourself into a corner soundwise.

I take it that because you're talking about blues rock, you have no intentions of becoming famous, right? Not in an offensive way, I don't either, I play prog rock. Most blues rock bands I know of are doing the pro circuit in high level bar gigs. If that's what you're doing, it RARE that you'll find someone who doesn't want to hear a band that sounds exactly like Mayer/SRV/Hendrix.

I'm just guessing though, I don't know your situation almost at all. Mayer, SRV and Hendrix are excellent to emulate, by the way. The only thing you should fear is sounding like George Thoroughgood, in my opinion.
No shit man, Lace golds are awesome. Best pickups I've had in my Strat, ever. I'm actually going to buy some again this week. I got rid of them a few months ago to try some new ones and have been through 3, of which none have been as good.

Try them, they're exactly what you want. Good gain, clean up well, lovely stuff.
And if not those, Lace Alumitones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUuZAT3FvVo

...and for giggles, you could put a Lace Alumitone Deathbucker in the bridge position and REALLY have a different sound...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTvrmho3HnE
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 11, 2014,
While we're all talking about Lace, how about the Holy Grails? These are marketed as having the classic 50s glassy tone but they handle all kinds of overdrive really well.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quote by JD Close
If your blues rock sounds unique you're missing the point of blues rock. Regardless, I wouldn't worry about it, like I said. You are going to sound different from them no matter what. It seems to me that you're working yourself into a corner soundwise.

I take it that because you're talking about blues rock, you have no intentions of becoming famous, right? Not in an offensive way, I don't either, I play prog rock. Most blues rock bands I know of are doing the pro circuit in high level bar gigs. If that's what you're doing, it RARE that you'll find someone who doesn't want to hear a band that sounds exactly like Mayer/SRV/Hendrix.

I'm just guessing though, I don't know your situation almost at all. Mayer, SRV and Hendrix are excellent to emulate, by the way. The only thing you should fear is sounding like George Thoroughgood, in my opinion.

are you kidding me? so what are you saying that blues rock guys won't accept a different sound. I call bullshit and point at gary moore for starters. rory Gallagher doesn't sound like those mentioned and neither does johnny winter. seems like an aweful close minded statement from a "progressive" guy. yes the bar scene is about sounding like the songs and often playing songs that the average person knows., doesn't mean that if you are a good player they won't accept that.
Quote by monwobobbo
are you kidding me? so what are you saying that blues rock guys won't accept a different sound. I call bullshit and point at gary moore for starters. rory Gallagher doesn't sound like those mentioned and neither does johnny winter. seems like an aweful close minded statement from a "progressive" guy. yes the bar scene is about sounding like the songs and often playing songs that the average person knows., doesn't mean that if you are a good player they won't accept that.

by the way an MG stack really? now that's a good joke

Please use the edit button instead of double posting, and don't be a prick. That was a Christmas gift when I was 12 years old. What did you get for Christmas when you were 12 years old? I'm sure if I went to your account solely to look for something to use against you I could. Also, blues rock fans will definitely accept if you are a good musician, and aren't always interested in hearing the same sound over and over again. That being said, there is little to no market for blues rock out of the upper-range bar gigs, especially today. Did any of those guys you mentioned ever truly achieve rockstar status? Johnny Winter maybe, because of his prog rock brother. Other than that, I'm sure what you're arguing, this seems like a knee-jerk comment. I've played in blues rock bands. The reason I don't anymore is because I don't like the scene, particularly that everybody wants you to sound (and dress, for some messed up reason) like Mayer, SRV, or Hendrix. I said that he is going to sound different from those three artist regardless, because of a number of factors, but that there is nothing wrong with emulating them a bit, as long as you don't become them. I also pointed out that there is a ton of money to be made in the blues rock scene, more than most others for sure.

This is bugging me: Prog rock has nothing to do with being politically progressive. While I am myself, don't make that connection. There is no such thing as communist rock, libertarian rock, or sharia law rock. The 'Progressive' in the title refers to the song structure, or the music in general. That's just like saying, "You don't play blues, your guitar is red"
Last edited by JD Close at Jan 12, 2014,
Quote by JD Close
Please use the edit button instead of double posting, and don't be a prick. That was a Christmas gift when I was 12 years old. What did you get for Christmas when you were 12 years old? I'm sure if I went to your account solely to look for something to use against you I could. Also, blues rock fans will definitely accept if you are a good musician, and aren't always interested in hearing the same sound over and over again. That being said, there is little to no market for blues rock out of the upper-range bar gigs, especially today. Did any of those guys you mentioned ever truly achieve rockstar status? Johnny Winter maybe, because of his prog rock brother. Other than that, I'm sure what you're arguing, this seems like a knee-jerk comment. I've played in blues rock bands. The reason I don't anymore is because I don't like the scene, particularly that everybody wants you to sound (and dress, for some messed up reason) like Mayer, SRV, or Hendrix. I said that he is going to sound different from those three artist regardless, because of a number of factors, but that there is nothing wrong with emulating them a bit, as long as you don't become them. I also pointed out that there is a ton of money to be made in the blues rock scene, more than most others for sure.

This is bugging me: Prog rock has nothing to do with being politically progressive. While I am myself, don't make that connection. There is no such thing as communist rock, libertarian rock, or sharia law rock. The 'Progressive' in the title refers to the song structure, or the music in general. That's just like saying, "You don't play blues, your guitar is red"

well don't know how double post happened not my doing. you need to do some homework. Johnny Winter was a huge star back in the day. You have to ask if Gary Moore or Rory Gallagher were rock stars? feel free to look at my account and give it your best shot. as for being a prick well that was a little joke you said you are a comedian right. as for the progressive statement that was actually giving you some credit. people that are into progressive rock usually are more intelligent so I expect more from them but then again what is labeled as "progressive" these days probably isn'tthe same as what I think of. by the way I'm 52 and can't remember what I got for xmas 40 years ago.

you can make a very honest living playing in bars and you have a far better shot at that than being a "rock star".
Quote by monwobobbo
well don't know how double post happened not my doing. you need to do some homework. Johnny Winter was a huge star back in the day. You have to ask if Gary Moore or Rory Gallagher were rock stars? feel free to look at my account and give it your best shot. as for being a prick well that was a little joke you said you are a comedian right. as for the progressive statement that was actually giving you some credit. people that are into progressive rock usually are more intelligent so I expect more from them but then again what is labeled as "progressive" these days probably isn'tthe same as what I think of. by the way I'm 52 and can't remember what I got for xmas 40 years ago.

you can make a very honest living playing in bars and you have a far better shot at that than being a "rock star".

I'm not sure if even you know what points you're trying to make. I didn't insult you or the holy trinity of blues rock gods in any way. Saying 'that's a good joke' is not a joke at all. Especially not after how many times it's been said. On the prog rock point, I once listened to all of King Crimson, ELP, and Yes' discographies in two weeks. Mind you, the second week was waiting through Yes' 80's and 90's material.
Quote by Mephaphil
He also said your Mum plays Bass like Sid Vicious.

I wouldn't take that.

shit, don't tell him. I thought we were cool.
Quote by JD Close
I'm not sure if even you know what points you're trying to make. I didn't insult you or the holy trinity of blues rock gods in any way. Saying 'that's a good joke' is not a joke at all. Especially not after how many times it's been said. On the prog rock point, I once listened to all of King Crimson, ELP, and Yes' discographies in two weeks. Mind you, the second week was waiting through Yes' 80's and 90's material.

if the birthday in your profile is correct you aren't even old enough to be in a bar let alone be able to tell me that that is somehow not an admirable place to be playing. dude you are making yourself look bad with no help from me. you listened to those bands catalog wow I saw them live back in the day so what. didn't say you insulted anyone just that you aren't well informed about what you were saying. if you take a look around here you'll see that the MG is one of the most hated amps (for good reasons) so is subject to jokes. I just thought the fact that you said you were a comedian fit in with that as that amp is considered a joke. I don't hand out advice about downtuned metal on 7 or 8 string guitars because that isn't what I know in that case just because I might have played a little with it doesn't mean I know about it really.
Quote by monwobobbo
if the birthday in your profile is correct you aren't even old enough to be in a bar let alone be able to tell me that that is somehow not an admirable place to be playing. dude you are making yourself look bad with no help from me. you listened to those bands catalog wow I saw them live back in the day so what. didn't say you insulted anyone just that you aren't well informed about what you were saying. if you take a look around here you'll see that the MG is one of the most hated amps (for good reasons) so is subject to jokes. I just thought the fact that you said you were a comedian fit in with that as that amp is considered a joke. I don't hand out advice about downtuned metal on 7 or 8 string guitars because that isn't what I know in that case just because I might have played a little with it doesn't mean I know about it really.

I'm not sure what the laws are where you live, but I've been playing bars since I was 11, and it's perfectly legal. I didn't say anything about whether or not they were admirable, or anything on that subject, and have no idea where you got that notion. How exactly would I have seen those classic bands, being born when I was? I posted that in response to you blindly saying that the meaning of prog may have changed. I know exactly how much people hate the MG series, but I didn't buy it and people don't take it for what it's meant to be. If you're continuously going to my profile and saying bad things about what you find for absolutely no reason, then you are a total prick. The entire reason this started was because you thought I bad-mouthed blues rock somehow, something you've since realized was wrong. I was completely civil in my responses, and now you've taken it even further. Way to go. You should learn how to conduct yourself on the internet
Quote by JD Close
I'm not sure what the laws are where you live, but I've been playing bars since I was 11, and it's perfectly legal. I didn't say anything about whether or not they were admirable, or anything on that subject, and have no idea where you got that notion. How exactly would I have seen those classic bands, being born when I was? I posted that in response to you blindly saying that the meaning of prog may have changed. I know exactly how much people hate the MG series, but I didn't buy it and people don't take it for what it's meant to be. If you're continuously going to my profile and saying bad things about what you find for absolutely no reason, then you are a total prick. The entire reason this started was because you thought I bad-mouthed blues rock somehow, something you've since realized was wrong. I was completely civil in my responses, and now you've taken it even further. Way to go. You should learn how to conduct yourself on the internet

you kept mentioning being a rock star and implied that just because most blues rock is found in bars these days that somehow it isn't up to that standard. made a crack about MG get over It, looked at your other posts and see I'm far from the first to do so. you didn't do your homework on who the players I mentioned were and that made you look stupid. I did take the time to look at other gear threads you posted on and your track record isn't that good. if pointing this out make me a prick then I am. as for the internet well use it so you actually know what you are talking about
Quote by monwobobbo
you kept mentioning being a rock star and implied that just because most blues rock is found in bars these days that somehow it isn't up to that standard. made a crack about MG get over It, looked at your other posts and see I'm far from the first to do so. you didn't do your homework on who the players I mentioned were and that made you look stupid. I did take the time to look at other gear threads you posted on and your track record isn't that good. if pointing this out make me a prick then I am. as for the internet well use it so you actually know what you are talking about

No I didn't. I just plain didn't mention anything about blues rock being lesser at all. You've read every post I've ever made apparently, you should know that. I know exactly who you're talking about, and they were never rockstars in the sense that we think of. There is no story about Rory Gallagher raping a lady with a fish, or anything like that. Other than that, all you have is the MG point. I'll agree they're not up to Marshall's standards (the 2010 redesigns and onward particularly), but I think I've been over that enough. I'm sorry I wasn't born in the same era you were, but it seems that you may be looking at the past with rose colored glasses on a lot of this.

I know exactly what I'm talking about, the only thing that you've been able to show is that you were born first, and that I received an amp as a gift. Neither of these are relevant to the original point, which it seems you've forgot
If the Internet had existed back then, threads like this would have made Howlin Wolf cry.

Me? I'm in the American South. Lots of different takes on the blues around here...arguably more different tones than in death metal.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 12, 2014,
Quote by JD Close
No I didn't. I just plain didn't mention anything about blues rock being lesser at all. You've read every post I've ever made apparently, you should know that. I know exactly who you're talking about, and they were never rockstars in the sense that we think of. There is no story about Rory Gallagher raping a lady with a fish, or anything like that. Other than that, all you have is the MG point. I'll agree they're not up to Marshall's standards (the 2010 redesigns and onward particularly), but I think I've been over that enough. I'm sorry I wasn't born in the same era you were, but it seems that you may be looking at the past with rose colored glasses on a lot of this.

I know exactly what I'm talking about, the only thing that you've been able to show is that you were born first, and that I received an amp as a gift. Neither of these are relevant to the original point, which it seems you've forgot

raping a lady with a fish makes you a rock star, really? last time I looked it was the result of selling tons of records and concerts. dude you clearly don't know who Rory Gallagher is and once again need to do your homework. Gary Moore is a legend and to a lesser degree so is Johnny Winter. as for living in the past wrong again I listen to newer music as well. I'm sure you are familiar with bands like Dream Theater, Stratovarious ad Symphony X right?
Quote by JD Close

reread this mess you wrote and tell me again about how much you know and that you weren't a bit on the insulting side. how any serious musician can state that by being original you are missing the point of a genre is beyond me. you play progressive style which inherently is about pushing the limits. blues rock doesn't need to stay stuck in the past either. you can't be that ignorant or stupid. does the average bar patron care that much about tone no. play the song well they are happy. are there people out there who enjoy the genre and expect more out of it than another SRV wanna be yes. that may not have mainstream appeal at the moment (except mayer) but so what.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Jan 12, 2014,
...how any serious musician can state that by being original you are missing the point of a genre is beyond me...

It's like how the folkies were all rising up in anger when Bob Dylan went electric...

Quote by dannyalcatraz
It's like how the folkies were all rising up in anger when Bob Dylan went electric...

good example.