Hola! So my uncle just gave me his old peavey ultra and i really want to get some pedals with the money that i was going to spend on an amp. i dont want any 150-250 dollar pedals just some 50 to 80 dollar ones. I play a lot of 80s metal and hard rock like Guns and roses, Metallica, Pantera, Iron maidan stuff like that. I am super new to pedals and have never really had any so im lost with what all the different pedals do and stuff. if you guys could help me out and tell me what pedals are necessary for playing most Metallica and the stuff i listed? I would like to know what type of pedal (chorus, delay) and maybe some suggestions of good cheap pedals. Thanks a lot guys!
A chorus or a wah would both be good for your stuff

James hetfield uses chorus on his cleans and slash uses it in many songs, both slash and kirk hammett use wah on their solos
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Yeah those are the 2 pedals i was sure i would need but i need to know what else haha.
You might need a noise supressor incase you get any hissing or humming
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by cha33 armstrong
You might need a noise supressor incase you get any hissing or humming

I wouldn't worry about that until you actually know you need it.

As far as Chorus goes, EHX Small Clone and MXR Micro Chorus are both solid choices for cheap. Dunlop Crybaby is the standard for an affordable wah.

You may also want to grab an MXR 10 band EQ. Always useful for tone sculpting. Maybe a boost or OD for solos?
The thing about pedals over $150 is, usually they are worth it for specific reasons (tone, quality, craftsmanship etc.). Since you like pantera and metallica , with price in mind, the only pedal I can think of to fit the job is Electro-Harmonix's Metal Muff. because of price-wise and being crunchy, great for metal, buttrock and metallica hair or not. my first was a crybaby wah. Find your tone by demoing stuff at local shops then go online to proguitarshop, that place is dedicated to cool gtrs and pedals.
boss sd1 as a boost, maybe? it sounds pretty 80s to me when used like that with a marshally-style amp (far as i'm aware your ultra is marshally).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i bought a jet city shockwave distortion Pedal (new 50$) and its good i give it 7/10

and a Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus im in love with this one (used 32$) 10/10 for me

Last edited by nirvana_n_roses at Jan 13, 2014,
Line M9 or M13? they are pretty good sounding units. i know people both on here and local who gig with them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You're going to want chorus, delay & wah to start with. Where in the world are you located? Are you okay with going used?

I'm in the process of building a large board myself, so I've done countless hours of researching/listening to all sorts of pedals. That said, these are completely my opinions. You need to look at stuff in your budget, and listen for yourself! There are some great, great pedal demos on Youtube.

Here are some suggestions for stuff currently on the market/in production:

Chorus: On the cheap, my favorite is the Boss CH-1. I also like the tone of the EHX Neo Clone, but I hate how you can't really control any parameters on it.

Delay: This is an area where you can't really get much cheap. Really the two cheapest I would personally recommend are the Hardwire DL-8 and the TC Flashback. But I am a bit demanding. The MXR Carbon Copy sounds excellent, if you are okay with not having features like tap (which I find absolutely necessary, no idea why delays are made without it or how people use them). Even cheaper is the EHX Memory Boy, but while it has some more versatility, I don't think it sounds quite as good as the Carbon Copy.

At that price point, as trashedlostfdup suggested, you may want to look into a Line 6 M9. I have one of these, that I got used for about $250. The value on one of these used is absolutely ridiculous, it has just tons and tons of FX to play with, most of which sound good - great.

I won't say much about wah, as that is not my foray and I don't particularly care for the effect that much. I will say to go Morley though. For any sort of optical effect, volume, wah, expression, whatever - go Morley. They are switchless and amazing. I have a Little Alligator volume pedal that I love to death.

Quote by Dave_Mc
boss sd1 as a boost, maybe? it sounds pretty 80s to me when used like that with a marshally-style amp (far as i'm aware your ultra is marshally).

I'm not sure that he needs a boost with the Ultra. Of course all those guys boosted their 800s and what not, but I think the Ultra was built to sound that way in the first place.

Of course, getting an SD-1 definitely can't hurt if there's cash left over for one.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jan 13, 2014,
you don't need a distortion pedal so not sure why people recommend them. you do need a tubescreamer style overdrive and there are tons of those that can be had fairly cheap. if you play a lot of cleans the chorus is good but if not I'd skip it for now. delay as mentioned can be a bit pricey but look used on that and you can find some deals on that. wah, morley classic or power wah are both fairly affordable. do not get a cheap cry-baby.
Do not get the neo clone or small clone for that style of music, by far the best cheaply is the boss ce-5, the extra knobs make a big difference for covering rock through metal, some people like flangers, you'll know if it's you if you listen to a few demos and some van halen, I think delay would be great starting out and adds a lot to leads and solos, boss dd series is fine
Used hardwire cr-7 or Boss ce-5 ($50), used dime crybaby from hell ($60-$80), used boss dd-3 ($60-80).
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Quote by Offworld92

I'm not sure that he needs a boost with the Ultra. Of course all those guys boosted their 800s and what not, but I think the Ultra was built to sound that way in the first place.

Of course, getting an SD-1 definitely can't hurt if there's cash left over for one.

yeah that's possible, I haven't tried the ultra. I was just working on the basis that I tend to prefer the sound of an amp boosted than not, often even if it's designed not to need a boost. As you said, if there's money over an od is a handy thing to have around anyway
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah that's possible, I haven't tried the ultra. I was just working on the basis that I tend to prefer the sound of an amp boosted than not, often even if it's designed not to need a boost. As you said, if there's money over an od is a handy thing to have around anyway

yeah I use my overdrive even though technically it isn't needed. I have an Ultra and find that it benefits from an overdrive. I can cut back some on amp gain and fine tune the gain sound with the pedal. I don't use any where's near the total gain the amp can produce (but it's nice to have more on tap just in case).
Yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?