I don't know what I should be calling it, but I'm looking for a 'rack' (rack cabinet?) so I can mount my slowly but surely growing rack mountable hardware. Where and what should I be looking for when I'm looking for these? Features, hardware, price range, and brand? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Quote by nignog
I don't know what I should be calling it, but I'm looking for a 'rack' (rack cabinet?) so I can mount my slowly but surely growing rack mountable hardware. Where and what should I be looking for when I'm looking for these? Features, hardware, price range, and brand? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

a rack case is pretty standard and there is not many features you can get with them.

i guess you should be asking yourself what you want to use it for:

- is it something for at home use exclusively or something that you will be moving around a bunch?

- how many rack units will you need to accommodate? what is the size of the units (like 1U or 2U)?

- will you need to run other gear with your rack gear, like a computer or mixer?

if you are in a studio you may want to get some kinda studio rack on wheels or maybe a desk unit. if you are traveling you'll want something that can be sealed up and is durable and modular.

definitely figure out what you want in your rack before you buy a case, the last thing you need is too few unit spaces. that will do you no good at all.

i run a number of modular rack units that easily stack and one of them is capable of facilitating a laptop (since i record to my laptop). some people may want a unit that facilitates a mixer . some cases can even facilitate both (if you are a DJ or something)

all the racks i use are the newer SKB style racks, the roto style ones. they are beafy, have a little more internal space (for stuffing wires and the such) and usually have some kinda wheel/handle system to help move it around. i also live how there are no real sharp edges, makes them a little more comfortable to move. they also stack real nice.

punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
If it's for home recording, check out the photos of my setup. I have two 3' black racks stacked one on top the other. A little double-sided tape makes sure the top one won't slide around and possibly fall off. That gives me 24 1u spaces, which is quite a lot.

You might also want to look into making your own cables, as it's quite cheaper to build your own custom cables. I buy bulk cable and connectors, then solder my own.

Lastly, don't forget about patch panels. It's a lot easier to patch your inserts using a patch panel, than going behind the rack or mixer each time you want to reroute a signal, or a bunch of them.
ABS good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks everyone. I'm looking to buy a rack for home studio use. Although I only have 4-5 things to bolt on right now, I'd like to buy something that'll give me enough headroom for a very, very long time (if not forever). Maybe something like this? https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNsNDD8CQAE98ws.jpg:large

@KG6_Steven
I like your set up a lot. Would it be stupid to say I'm a bit hesitant in wanting your specific setup because I may want something with wheels? Thanks.
Home use? I said "ABS good" thinking it was for live work. At home, just make it yourself out of timber and tailor it to exactly what you want.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Home use? I said "ABS good" thinking it was for live work. At home, just make it yourself out of timber and tailor it to exactly what you want.

+1! I used to do this.
WTLTL 2011