Page 1 of 2
I have now given away or sold every instrument except for an acoustic guitar.

I'm looking to build from the ground up- with a decent guitar and amplifier worked out at very least.

I'll be playing shows to 100 people at least (with pub and smaller club gigs), with maximum hitting maybe 500 (maybe about the size of a school hall).

The band I should be playing in does howling wolf, rolling stones, the who, R dean Taylor, the spencer davis group, and many bands that would be considered early "mod" bands (however I play with plenty of quite light distortion).

My personal interests include heavy blues like Jack White, but I also like bands like Grinderman/Nick Cave and the bad seeds, Iggy Pop and the Stooges, Tame Impala, Temple, The Doors and Mother's Milk era Red Hot Chili peppers. I like the guitar sounds of John Frusciante, Pete Townsend and Johnny Marr.

I have my eye on a Fender Mustang 65 reissue, but I don't know if the two single coils will be able to handle the meatier, bluesier end of my music taste. I'd like thoughts on that and any possible cheap and easy remedies to that issue.

I'd mainly like advice on getting an amp, and if anyone's interested in selling me one at all. It'd be useful to have a decent volume channel on these amps too.

Overall budget is something like 900/1000 pound.
Eh... It's an all right guitar, it should be able to handle most of the sounds you've listed. The big issue, I believe, is that it's going to eat like 70% of your overall budget, which would seriously impact the quality of amp available to you. I don't know what amp prices are like in the UK, but at around $300US, for a gigging sized amp you'd be looking at a cheaper hundred or so watt solid state or looking used and hoping for anything else.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
The guitarists you listed play a variety of instruments, equipped with everything from HBs to P90s to Singlecoils to whatever...in all kinds of different arrangements. Aiming for that kind of tonal variety, I'd want to get a flexible guitar.

Some options:

H/S/S: Fret King Super 60HB, Dean Zelinsky Private Label Tagliare, Godin Session

P90/S/S: Fret-King Super 60SP

H/P90: Reverend Double Agent

HH: Reverend Jetstream, Electra Omega (the humbuckers are individually splittable)

mH/mH: Reverend Flatroc

T/mH: Reverend Buckshot

New or used, each of those guitars provides a player with a ton of tonal options.

On the amp side, I'd be looking for a used 30-60w tube combo from someone like Vox, Fender, Orange or Marshall.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 11, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The guitarists you listed play a variety of instruments, equipped with everything from HBs to P90s to Singlecoils to whatever...in all kinds of different arrangements. Aiming for that kind of tonal variety, I'd want to get a flexible guitar.

Some options:

H/S/S: Fret King Super 60HB, Dean Zelinsky Private Label Tagliare, Godin Session

P90/S/S: Fret-King Super 60SP

H/P90: Reverend Double Agent

HH: Reverend Jetstream, Electra Omega (the humbuckers are individually splittable)

mH/mH: Reverend Flatroc

T/mH: Reverend Buckshot

New or used, each of those guitars provides a player with a ton of tonal options.

On the amp side, I'd be looking for a used 30-60w tube combo from someone like Vox, Fender, Orange or Marshall.

Thanks for your help with the guitars. I don't really like the appearance of any of those guitars though, and I know that's really superficial, but the Fender (especially Mustang) look and feel is kinda what I need.

Could I get a little bit more guidance with the amps please?
Fender and Vox would probably suit my style more.
Last edited by Bellringer_Blue at Jan 11, 2014,
I'm not sure how much they are used in the UK but a used Fender Blues Junior is probably the best amp you can get for about $350 Canadian.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Thanks- scratch what I just said about mustangs, I've just realised how overpriced they are (upon looking at ebay) and how limited they are (upon looking at youtube and only finding Nirvana covers.

What about a Telecaster?
Quote by Bellringer_Blue
Thanks for your help with the guitars. I don't really like the appearance of any of those guitars though, and I know that's really superficial, but the Fender (especially Mustang) look and feel is kinda what I need.

Aesthetics matter!

Could I get a little bit more guidance with the amps please?
Fender and Vox would probably suit my style more.

I personally own a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 40w combo. It edged out a Vox with very similar specs; it really was a coin-toss. It cost me @$730 new. Used, they're probably @$500-600 in top shape. It has never given me a second of trouble.

It has plenty of power: at 40w, I never get above 4 on my volume around the house. Louder than that, and I'd be getting visits from the cops. As for gigging, read on.

It is versatile: My former teacher gigs all over the state of Texas, playing top 40, blues, country, classic rock, hard rock and jazz. The Fender HRD combo is his workhorse. Its flexibility derives from its stellar cleans. With the tonal blank slate it delivers, I can make it do anything I want short of more modern metal.

So I think either of those brands could do you just fine! My guess is that it will be easier to find a deal n a new or used Vox than a Fender in the British isles.

And like I said, you probably won't need more than 30-60w. Not only is that enough to play venues the size you're describing, if the house has a sound system, you probably won't even be running your amp all that hard because they'll mic you to go through their system instead.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 11, 2014,
I actually prefer (and I get told I sound better) if I'm playing loudly through my own up rather than through the PA. Not sure about that though.

If I got something like a Classic 60's telecaster and the amp you described, I'd still have a little bit to spare on a distortion/fuzz pedal.

Anymore input would be appreciated.
Look forward to it

And I really don't like the look of the jagstang...not my thing at all.

Interesting idea though. I'd go for a jag if they weren't so expensive and common- most of my guitar playing friends have either strats or jags (and I know I barely have a right to say that with a tele in mind now)...
Last edited by Bellringer_Blue at Jan 11, 2014,
Quote by Bellringer_Blue
I actually prefer (and I get told I sound better) if I'm playing loudly through my own up rather than through the PA. Not sure about that though.

It may be true, but the guys in charge of the house usually trump your desires unless you're a big name.

(I mean, I can't speak to England, but that's the way it goes in Texas & California.)

Quote by dannyalcatraz
It may be true, but the guys in charge of the house usually trump your desires unless you're a big name.

(I mean, I can't speak to England, but that's the way it goes in Texas & California.)

I probably played about a dozen gigs throughout 2013 (Not that great, I know) and only had somebody doing the sound properly twice.

Anyway that's besides the point, you're right about that with bigger gigs.
I think that a tele might be a good fit for what your are looking for. I would take a look at the G&L teles. Great guitar for the price. I'm sure Danny will have large list of pretty awesome guitars. I am a huge fan of Reverends and plan to own another one very soon (unfortunately my GAS list is rather large at the moment). Not sure where you stand with them though.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I would take a look at the G&L teles. Great guitar for the price.

Seconded!

Do G&Ls typically just substitute a single coil with a humbucker then? I'm listening to a comparison of the sounds now, and I'm not so sure if I like it in comparison. Like too much weight has been added to it in my opinion.
G&L makes pretty much a similar variety of Tele & Strat guitars as Fender, but better.

Could you give me some specs and decent reviews (also some good demonstrations of it would useful) of a GL tele then?

I'm sorry, I really don't like the look of those guitars.
I got rid of a Fender stratocaster because I wasn't so keen on that kind of cut away anymore.
Hmm...what do you think of the visual aesthetics of Hell's guitars? (Main selling point- they're all equipped with Bareknuckle pickups.)

http://www.hellguitars.com/

Or Godin's Richmond line?

http://www.richmondguitarscanada.com/guitars.html

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 12, 2014,
And the impression I'm getting from G&L is that they have wide necks, which is a shame because that's one of the main reasons I'm after a telecaster.
Quote by Bellringer_Blue
I
I'd mainly like advice on getting an amp, and if anyone's interested in selling me one at all. It'd be useful to have a decent volume channel on these amps too.

Overall budget is something like 900/1000 pound.

If those were dollars and you were here in the US, I'd suggest an Agile AL-3100 and maybe a used Carvin Belair (50W 2x12 EL84s). There are a set of inexpensive mods (Google "Hasserl Mods") that will transform the SOAK (gain) channel. Very loud amp and certainly more than enough for any gig of the size you've mentioned. The Agile's a heavy solid body LP-like singlecut that's amazing quality for the dollars.
Yeah, the Belair is a sweet amp.

I'm after quite a light bodied, quick necked guitar, a lot like a fender telecaster or mustang. The only thing that's putting me off the mustang is the price/versatility ratio. it's a £700+ guitar and it has two single coiled pickups, I'm worried it would just be a scratchy, cold mess. I'm also worried about the bridge, which I have heard is likely to make the guitar go out of tune quite often.

With a telecaster, the only issue I have is that it may lack the big sounds, but I don't want to get something like a GL because their necks seem to be wider and less manageable for me (I have small hands).

Your help is really appreciated and I'd be grateful if you continued to help me out, just keep in mind that I want a fairly light guitar.

I know John Frusciante, Nick Cave of Grinderman and even Jack White have used telecasters in the past and achieved a big sound (without any visible customisation- cept for the bridge on Jack White's).
With a telecaster, the only issue I have is that it may lack the big sounds, but I don't want to get something like a GL because their necks seem to be wider and less manageable for me (I have small hands).

(edit)

I know John Frusciante, Nick Cave of Grinderman and even Jack White have used telecasters in the past and achieved a big sound (without any visible customisation- cept for the bridge on Jack White's).

See also Jimmy Page.

But if it worries you that much, look for a Tele with p90s, like this one:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleTDMPBT/

Or something like the Cabronita:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleCabMACAR/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleCabTMSG/

And I spotted this on Elderly (international shipping info on second link):

http://elderly.com/fmic/items/FTCFMT-CRT.htm
http://elderly.com/inter.html

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 12, 2014,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
See also Jimmy Page.

But if it worries you that much, look for a Tele with p90s, like this one:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleTDMPBT/

Or something like the Cabronita:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleCabMACAR/
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleCabTMSG/

And I spotted this on Elderly (international shipping info on second link):

http://elderly.com/fmic/items/FTCFMT-CRT.htm
http://elderly.com/inter.html

I was going to mention Jimmy Page too.

Anyway, I have time to consider and save up for this setup (I get back into it around April time). So I have time to think any gear I like over.
Quote by kangaxxter
Eh... It's an all right guitar

It's actually a pretty cool guitar.
Quote by Mephaphil

It is, but can we avoid discussing the quality of the Mustang, I'm still debating whether I want one or not.
Quote by Mephaphil

I meant for what he was going for, not for overall quality.

And actually, I think that the Pawn Shop Mustang Special is probably exactly what TS is looking for:

http://www.fender.com/guitars/mustang/pawn-shop-mustang-special-rosewood-fingerboard-candy-apple-red/

http://www.guitar.co.uk/fender-pawn-shop-mustang-special-lake-placid-blue-rosewood

It's around 650GBP, it's got two humbucker pickups with coil selectors (they're Enforcer pickups in wide range cases, which are probably the hottest pickups Fender's ever made), and it's got the Mustang aesthetic.

The only issues I foresee, TS, is that you'd probably have to order off the internet because I'm not sure how common they are in the UK.

As amps go, I'd be looking at something like a Fender Champion 100, which is the successor to the old Fender Frontman 212r. The Frontman 212r was Fender's cheap, loud, probably-not-so-good-sounding-but-passable offering for gigging on a budget. Every local level musician I've ever met with had used the Fender Frontman 212r at some point, even though they all moved on eventually. At least the Fender Champion has got a full compliment of effects and the same DSP that's behind the Super Champ X2.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
totally different suggestion. think about an Epiphone SG (or cuz you are in the UK a Vintage SG) spend the rest on a decent amp and maybe a pedal or two. down the road you might get the SD pups that can be split into singles or P-90s for versatility.
Quote by kangaxxter
I meant for what he was going for, not for overall quality.

And actually, I think that the Pawn Shop Mustang Special is probably exactly what TS is looking for:

http://www.fender.com/guitars/mustang/pawn-shop-mustang-special-rosewood-fingerboard-candy-apple-red/

http://www.guitar.co.uk/fender-pawn-shop-mustang-special-lake-placid-blue-rosewood

It's around 650GBP, it's got two humbucker pickups with coil selectors (they're Enforcer pickups in wide range cases, which are probably the hottest pickups Fender's ever made), and it's got the Mustang aesthetic.

The only issues I foresee, TS, is that you'd probably have to order off the internet because I'm not sure how common they are in the UK.

As amps go, I'd be looking at something like a Fender Champion 100, which is the successor to the old Fender Frontman 212r. The Frontman 212r was Fender's cheap, loud, probably-not-so-good-sounding-but-passable offering for gigging on a budget. Every local level musician I've ever met with had used the Fender Frontman 212r at some point, even though they all moved on eventually. At least the Fender Champion has got a full compliment of effects and the same DSP that's behind the Super Champ X2.

I'm concerned that the Pawn shop Mustang might be a cheap and nasty alternative. Do you think there's that much of a difference?
Quote by Bellringer_Blue
I'm concerned that the Pawn shop Mustang might be a cheap and nasty alternative. Do you think there's that much of a difference?

they aren't bad guitars at all. not the same sound wise as they have humbuckers instead of single coils.
Quote by Bellringer_Blue

No, not really. I think you might be thinking of the Modern Player Mustang, which is considerably--I guess "different" would be the word I'd use--from the Mexican Mustangs (Classic '65, Pawn Shop).

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Bellringer_Blue
It is, but can we avoid discussing the quality of the Mustang, I'm still debating whether I want one or not.

Then surely the more the better, right?

Anyway. This thread is now about the 65 Mustang Reissue.

Me? I like it! It's got lots of buttons and a funky colour scheme. I believe it's still nitro which is a plus, don't be too careful with it as it'll chip easily a we can't have you crying into your Cheerios every time that happens.

Anyone else?
Quote by Mephaphil
Then surely the more the better, right?

Anyway. This thread is now about the 65 Mustang Reissue.

Me? I like it! It's got lots of buttons and a funky colour scheme. I believe it's still nitro which is a plus, don't be too careful with it as it'll chip easily a we can't have you crying into your Cheerios every time that happens.

Anyone else?

It's still got the nitro coating?
I thought that was pretty rare to be honest.

I think I'd still go with the reissue, I see Warren Ellis from Grinderman and John Frusciante play them a lot.
American Vintage Reissues have always had nitro paint jobs if the year they were reissuing had one.

The composition of the finish has been varied over the years though, with some having a nitro finish on top and a poly layer underneath to protect the wood.

My AVRI is a 56 Strat (2013), and it's got a finish called a 'Flash Finish', which in English is a thin nitro finish, with no poly and nothing else. So its very thin, chips easily, scratches and wears quickly and already looks cool after around 9 months. I haven't really accelerated the wear but I do sometimes catch myself picking away at the chips.

I haven't been super careful with it because I don't baby my guitars, I like a worn like too.
Quote by Mephaphil
American Vintage Reissues have always had nitro paint jobs if the year they were reissuing had one.

The composition of the finish has been varied over the years though, with some having a nitro finish on top and a poly layer underneath to protect the wood.

My AVRI is a 56 Strat (2013), and it's got a finish called a 'Flash Finish', which in English is a thin nitro finish, with no poly and nothing else. So its very thin, chips easily, scratches and wears quickly and already looks cool after around 9 months. I haven't really accelerated the wear but I do sometimes catch myself picking away at the chips.

I haven't been super careful with it because I don't baby my guitars, I like a worn like too.

Dude you should post/pm a picture
Quote by Bellringer_Blue
It's still got the nitro coating?
I thought that was pretty rare to be honest.

I think I'd still go with the reissue, I see Warren Ellis from Grinderman and John Frusciante play them a lot.

Not the '65 Reissue. The '65 Reissue is a Classic Series Fender, which is Mexican made, and does not have a Nitro finish.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Look at a baja telecaster and a fender blues junior amp, if you go used it will defiently under a grand
Quote by kangaxxter
Not the '65 Reissue. The '65 Reissue is a Classic Series Fender, which is Mexican made, and does not have a Nitro finish.

Well there you go.

Quote by Bellringer_Blue
Dude you should post/pm a picture

Page 1 of 2