Okay, so as promised, I returned to Nashville today from break to a new amp waiting in my apartment office, so here's my first NAD in a good long while!

I was browsing Ebay the other day looking at random amps. I had been missing my tubes ever since I got in a pinch for money and slimmed my gear down to the G130c and Vypyr. I noticed one amp I had been interested in had not been bid on yet, and put in the low starting bid, expecting to be viciously outbid later in the auction. I was shocked when I received an email several hours later saying $299 had bought me this little beauty:

Krank Rev Jr Standard head and cab. For the price, I expected it to be sort of banged up. However, it arrived in perfect condition, functionally and cosmetically.

Now, the obligatory review:

I fired it up and went to the Kleen channel first. I expected the most unextraordinary, lifeless clean channel in the world. I have to say, that's exactly what I got. Even an EQ pedal couldn't help it. It sucks, plain and simple. I tried single coils and humbuckers to no avail. However, throw a chorus pedal in and there's a usable Metallica-esque clean tone there. But it's limited to that and only that.

Then I moved on to the Krank channel. I started with a lowish gain setting. This thing has a really cool grind sound at these settings. Not like a classic rock crunch, but like a punk or alt rock modern grind. It's a very distinct sound, but I gotta say, it is really really cool sounding. Then I kranked the gain (sorry, couldn't resist ) and holy crap, this thing RIPS!!! It has a totally unique mid range snarl that screams Krank! The low end on this thing is easily the punchiest I've ever heard out of a low gain amp. This thing is full of thick, tight, snarling metal goodness! I threw in a Dano Cool Cat OD as a clean boost and it just added even more punch to the sound. I wanted to use my Tubescreamer type pedal too, but unfortunately when I plugged it into my power source, it literally burned up in a cloud of smoke.

Overall, this amp is my favorite small high gain amp. It leaves the HT-5 and Mini Recto in dust. Kranks are something you either love or hate, and I love mine. It has an extremely unique sound that can't really be compared to anything else. That being said, it's a very modern voiced amp. Don't expect to get blues or classic rock, it won't happen. But for a specialized metal amp, this thing rocks!

Between this score and the 61 Jazz Bass I found in my grandma's attic, I'm in guitar heaven.

Family shot:

Pics of the 1961 Jazz because I'm still stoked

Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
the amp looked so big in the solo shot and so tiny in the family shot.

i played a crank once, they have a brutal attack and some crazy grinding tones. congrats

must say the '61 JB is awfully nice. does it have a tree trunk neck? the couple of older fender basses i have played were like gripping a telephone pole.

sorry to hear about the tubescreamer
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jan 11, 2014,
Quote by gumbilicious
the amp looked so big in the solo shot and so tiny in the family shot.

i played a crank once, they have a brutal attack and some crazy grinding tones. congrats

must say the '61 JB is awfully nice. does it have a tree trunk neck? the couple of older fender basses i have played were like gripping a telephone pole.

sorry to hear about the tubescreamer

I'll happily trade it for one of your amps, still needing vintage tones

My NAD pales in comparison to yours!

The JB's neck doesn't feel overly thick to me, typical Fender But, I'm also used to Gibson necks. You'll hate to know it's badly bowed. The truss rod is full loose but apparently it sat in that case for a long time. I'm looking for an old school luthier in Nashville that can fix that. I know it can be done, but I'm fairly new to the area and have no idea where to look thus far. It also has a sub par refinish, something I'm soon to fix.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
I'll happily trade it for one of your amps, still needing vintage tones

My NAD pales in comparison to yours!

i have been collecting for a while and i have also been quite lucky (which seems to happen when you collect for a while).

krank's are out of production, so they have their own type of rarity. they also do what they do very well.

Quote by classicrocker01
The JB's neck doesn't feel overly thick to me, typical Fender But, I'm also used to Gibson necks. You'll hate to know it's badly bowed. The truss rod is full loose but apparently it sat in that case for a long time. I'm looking for an old school luthier in Nashville that can fix that. I know it can be done, but I'm fairly new to the area and have no idea where to look thus far. It also has a sub par refinish, something I'm soon to fix.

there are quite a few good luthiers in your area, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding someone who can work on that thing. nashville is a killer place to find gear and skilled repair guys.

my sister lives there and i hit up the shops just to see what they have sitting around and it is always entertaining. plenty of old nationals in those shops, also saw a very minty supro thunderbolt the last time i was in town there. went to a vintage clothing and guitar store and they had some great stuff too, picked up a killer uke in there.

the one problem i have with nashville is everyone knows exactly what they have, so you always pay a pretty premium price. plenty of good equipment there, but it's hard to find a deal.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious

there are quite a few good luthiers in your area, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding someone who can work on that thing. nashville is a killer place to find gear and skilled repair guys.

Yeah I know theyre out there, I just got back today and haven't had time to look around yet.

Quote by gumbilicious

the one problem i have with nashville is everyone knows exactly what they have, so you always pay a pretty premium price. plenty of good equipment there, but it's hard to find a deal.

Ya no kidding, sad when the best deals I find are in guitar center. But, at least CList here isnt a ghost town like back in Missouri
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Hmm. After another thread I knew what to expect.

Robb will be pleased. HNAD.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
clips of the bass through the vypyr.

(that should be safe as the vypyr should have a full range speaker, gumbi/someone check me if i'm wrong)

HNKRANKD!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
clips of the bass through the vypyr.

(that should be safe as the vypyr should have a full range speaker, gumbi/someone check me if i'm wrong)

HNKRANKD!

It would be, if it still had the original speaker. Got a Celestion G12-P-80 in there. Helped the amp tremendously. But I do have a bass amp, if you'll notice, so clips when it gets fixed!
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

^ R45VT

I have been wanting to try the rev Jr, but I have never seen one. What's crazy is how loud the 20 watt Kranks get with a good 4x12 cab. I run my 1980 Jr and it is loud.

They are solid built amps enjoy.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
HNKD!!! Despite what some may tell you, I'm the resident fanboy, not Robb I answered you in the Krank thread.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
awesome

and holy cack a pre CBS jazz in your grandma's attic?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dementiacaptain
HNKD!!! Despite what some may tell you, I'm the resident fanboy, not Robb I answered you in the Krank thread.

Haha you're actually the reason I bought one. And thanks!

And Dave, yes I found it for teh free. Needs work, but holy hell, I don't care. Wanna buy it?

Almost a 2nd NAD with a more vintagy flavor today, but the guy that controls the trades at Sam Ash is a big mean poop face butt sniffer
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by dementiacaptain

I called him out on getting a Krank in311's mesa thread. He said Robb would like it. Dead give away. You are 1/10th the Krank fanboi.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I mean, I have seen Robb posting more since I've been back to UG than you dementia, in all fairness.

And he almost always recommends Krank.

Hell, Robb would recommend a Krank 1980 to someone asking what kind of car they should buy
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
I mean, I have seen Robb posting more since I've been back to UG than you dementia, in all fairness.

And he almost always recommends Krank.

Hell, Robb would recommend a Krank 1980 to someone asking what kind of car they should buy

No, but when it would be a good fit for someone why not. Besides you know you want a 1980 anyway
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
No, but when it would be a good fit for someone why not. Besides you know you want a 1980 anyway

You're right, I do

I wish a Jr would pop up used cheap once I get my stuff to sell. Need something more vintagy and Marshally now. Tried to buy an Epi So Cal 50 but Sam Ash wouldn't take my Crate or Vypyr
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

www.krankamps.com had some leftover Krank Jr chassis and head shells they will load any Jr series into for $399 new.
There is a used one for $375 on GC. I paid $300 when I bought mine. It poped up and I bought it. I had been looking for a used Jr for almost a year before I found mine and it was a great price.

The cleans are great on the 1980jr also with lots of headroom. More than the typical guitarist will ever need, fully gigable with out micing it
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 12, 2014,
They don't have anything but the Rev and KStein left.

I'm gonna have to sell some stuff before I buy anything. How does the 1980 Jr do low gain/bluesy stuff?
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
They don't have anything but the Rev and KStein left.

I'm gonna have to sell some stuff before I buy anything. How does the 1980 Jr do low gain/bluesy stuff?

Fine it is like a HR 800 type tone but the gain is really manageable, the full sized is really nice. I bought mine so I had a small light amp for practicing and I'm not using up the good tubes in my Marshall
I always us a TS pedal with mine, sometimes 2. It is not an extremely high-gain amp but with a boost it is fine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Fine it is like a HR 800 type tone but the gain is really manageable, the full sized is really nice. I bought mine so I had a small light amp for practicing and I'm not using up the good tubes in my Marshall
I always us a TS pedal with mine, sometimes 2. It is not an extremely high-gain amp but with a boost it is fine.

Sweet. Sounds like exactly what I want. Prolly gonna come down to that or a Jet City. Used to have one and regret selling it to this day. But I'm digging that Krank sound, would like to hear it in a Marshally package.

I'm gonna buy my books for the semester before I look at anything though. The program I'm doing includes the rest of the ratings I need to fly professionally along with my degree and I just started making a list of the flight supplies I need this semester and
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

I have a nineteen80 50 watt and a jca50 coming this week. I'm gonna play them side by side and I could give a little mini review
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Quote by evmac
I have a nineteen80 50 watt and a jca50 coming this week. I'm gonna play them side by side and I could give a little mini review
The JCA has more gain on tap, but the 1980 is nice and the clean channel is really good.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 13, 2014,
Quote by evmac

Please do man, I'd like to hear a good comparison.

In other news, got to turn up the volume a bit today. True to what I've heard, this thing has a lot more life to it when turned up a bit. the sound really thickened up.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75