Hey guys. I'm new here, but my son has been using this site to learn. He's 9 and has been playing for about 9 months and Tom Petty is his favorite. He has some covers on YouTube, and I thought I'd post a couple here for feedback and to show him that people watch. It fires him up and motivates the guitar progress.

Anyway, if you're interested, here are a few links. He has a bunch in his profile, but I didn't want to be obnoxious about it.

Thanks!

Free fallin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5iW0aa4TmI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Mary Jane's Last Dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HTG49D-BRU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Great job jake, I really enjoyed your cover of free falling. I find singing and playing at the same time really tough and you pulled it off well and confidently, and when you made some little mistakes kept going which is most important!

I think one way you could improve is to practice using a metronome. Set the metronome to the tempo of the song and try playing guitar along to it staying in time, practising each riff seperately. This can be quite hard to begin with, and sometimes its better to put the metronome alot slower until you are comfortable playing along with it and then speed up gradually.
Then once you have the guitar down add the singing until you have the whole thing nailed. This might be a little boring but will improve your performance alot!

Keep practising mate, its great to see you are already so passionate about music, I didn't start until a bit later!
Quote by Zanshin825
Hey guys. I'm new here, but my son has been using this site to learn. He's 9 and has been playing for about 9 months and Tom Petty is his favorite. He has some covers on YouTube, and I thought I'd post a couple here for feedback and to show him that people watch. It fires him up and motivates the guitar progress.

Anyway, if you're interested, here are a few links. He has a bunch in his profile, but I didn't want to be obnoxious about it.

Oh thank god, for second I thought I was gonna be the 2nd youngest active UGer.

You're son is a beast. I don't know how good he is at guitar while not singing but from what I can see he's a lot better than I was at that age. And he can sing while playing too! Make sure he doesn't stop because he's really good.
Thanks, man. That's why I posted here. When he knows that people will listen, he's very motivated, and it's great to hear feedback from other players who know the next steps. So much to learn!
Quote by Zanshin825
Thanks, man. That's why I posted here. When he knows that people will listen, he's very motivated, and it's great to hear feedback from other players who know the next steps. So much to learn!

My advice is don't spend to much time on the books. Learn what you have to learn and then move straight to songs like these. Make sure he learns songs at least partially by listening to it and figuring it out. If he can't figure it out he can go on and look at our tabs. Developing absolute pitch is huge in the progress of his ability, if you could start him early it would go a long way.