hi.
I've been playing for one year now but I'm still having problems with knowing when to change to the next chord.

I usually search the tab for songs on UG and found that that even though I know all the chord that are being used and I can change between then quite fast,,i don't know when to change the chord and I ended up not being able to play the song that I wanted and it is kind of frustrating..

I notice that the distance of one chords from another that was written on the lyrics are different.
so, how do I know when to change chord to the next one..is it on the 2 beat if two chords are written on one line?

and how to determine whether the song is played in 4 8 or 16 notes? I mean, I get confused because I tend to think that 16 notes is practically the as 4 bar or 4notes..

lastly how do I know which style to use when strumming...some songs are pretty obvious,,especially when they use the folk style strum..but there are quite number of songs that I couldn't figure out the strumming pattern. Any tips?

I would realllllly appreciate if you could help me with this..
thanks!
In all honesty you just have to listen, obviously some songs are harder than others to work out but like everything else that's somethign you get better at over time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The biggest and best tip anyone can give you is to listen. Play along with the song and see if what you're playing sounds right. If it doesn't then change it and try again. Rinse and repeat until you're playing it right.

It'll be hard at first, learning things by ear has a steep learning curve but it will be the best thing you ever did for yourself.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Also, and Zaphod will agree with me here, if you're able to slow the track down that will help immensely in figuring out where the chord changes are as well as working out the strum pattern.

Windows Media Plaer will slow and audio track down to half speed without altering the pitch, for example.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You'll find that a significant number of songs posted on UG don't have special attention to showing the chord changes over the correct words. They might be off a little or a lot, sometimes the person has them placed for the first chord, but they don't adjust them for the second chorus, etc. So, it may be difficult to impossible to get the timing from a chord lead sheet - so you'll just have to listen.

If you're trying to do this more scientifically, then yes, most songs do even chord changes where the chords last for one measure (eg, 4 beats) and the chords change on multiples of 4 beats. But some changes will occur halfway into a measure or actually at any time in a sort of free-style way. So there's no real rule to go by other than listening like others said.

You may want to add your own notation. I sometimes use a '-' or an '=' to signify changes that occur at faster intervals (imagine the dashes as similar to the flags on a written note). Or you can add "|" characters to show the discrete measures if that helps you. With more experience, you'll just get the feel of the songs and need less notation.
Quote by steven seagull

Windows Media Plaer will slow and audio track down to half speed without altering the pitch, for example.

Works like a charm.
baab
Like others have said, slow it down and play along. It'll be different for different songs. However, I'd recommend downloading "Transcribe!" as opposed to windows media player. I like the interface better.
Quote by steven seagull
Also, and Zaphod will agree with me here, if you're able to slow the track down that will help immensely in figuring out where the chord changes are as well as working out the strum pattern.

Absolutely agreed.

If you're willing to drop a little money on something better though, I seriously recommend Amazing Slow Downer. It's an incredible tool!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.