I've been playing for 5 years as a hobby and i've decided to buy a real guitar. I'm trying to make up my mind between these two. I know the LP is a bit more expensive, but is it really worth it? I want a good mid range guitar to play some blues and all types of rock (even some metal too). Any advice on these two mamas?

Thanks in advance!

http://www.fender.com/es-ES/series/american-special/american-special-stratocaster-hss-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/

http://www.thomann.de/gb/gibson_les_paul_signature_t_wr_ch.htm
If your predominant music genre is blues and rock, then a Fender HSS American Special Strat would probably help you out most due to its combination of a bridge humbucker and two single coils. I've played a few Gibsons back in my nearest guitar store a long time ago, and their pickups were way too muddy with metal distortion (not to mention the uncomfortable mahogany wood which almost cracked my shoulder). Fenders are lighter and way easier to play, but if you are a Gibson fan and if you can handle those guitars, by all means, go for them.
In my opinion, if you want a decent mid-range, I'd go for the Fender Strat if I were you. If you can spend a few more bucks, I'd suggest that you also buy some other gear, such as locking tuners (for extra tuning stability due to its tremolo system), and a hot-rails neck pickup for a slightly stronger output when using the neck pickup for a guitar solo.

Hope this helps!
parhelia_0000
It really is a personal thing, have you played both? What sort of guitar do you already have?

A strat will be more comfortable - especially seated. Both guitars are versatile and pickups can be changed easily. Get whichever you prefer the feel of.
I own both and like both so am bugger all use in this thread
Two wildly different guitars.

You really should play both, then play about a dozen other mid-range and upper end guitars until you find one you bond with. Then buy that.

I can't give a recommendation without revealing my own personal biases.
what kind of amp are you using?
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Honey Burst
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
OK...I may be looking at the wrong models, because I'm seeing a HUGE price disparity. What is your actual budget?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 14, 2014,
I sold my Jaguar Blacktop HH last month, it´s the only electric guitar i´ve played. Didn´t like such a small scale. I´m used to my 25.5" scale acoustic. The Fender American Special has jumbo frets and is cheaper than the LP. I like playing Pink Floyd, Doors, Gn´R, Alice in Chains, Metallica, Weezer, Pixies. Will the bridge humbucker on the strat be enough?

Thanks 2 everyone!
Last edited by ameri84 at Jan 14, 2014,
Depends in part on the humbucker. Jerry Cantrell's G&L Rampage has only a single pickup- a bridge HB. So a good, high-output HB in the bridge should deliver the output you need for his tones, at least. The singlecoils will be icing on the tonal cake.

But then, of course, you'll also need to get the right kind of amp & pedals.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
But then, of course, you'll also need to get the right kind of amp & pedals.

yes yes yes, this is just as if not more important.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Honey Burst
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Les Pauls especially with paf style pickups like the ones on the sig T tend to have very warm mid-rangy sound and a lot of sustain.
Strats tend to have more high end sound and not too much sustain. Now about the price its very subjective, if you like the guitar then it is worth it if you don't then it doesn't.

However some of the reasons Lesters are more expensive are because they use nitro-cellulose finish (fender also does on some models but not this one), they use up a lot more wood maple and mahogany (sig T's weight around 9-10 pounds), the top is hand carved, they have binding on the neck and body and overall they just need more time to be build.

To be able to decide between those two you have to go to a shop and play both see how you like the neck and the sound of the pickups and try every combinations. If you cant find a sig T try a traditional pro with 60's neck just to get an idea, is not going to be the same but they are close.

Personally i thing the LP's with coil splitting are very versatile and i don't think you will notice the change in scale length, i've always been playing with 25.5 scale myself and they only thing that i have noticed on the 24.75 scale is that the strings are much softer/easier to bend. Hope that helps let us know if you decide which one you will go for.
GUITARS:
Ibanez SAS36FM
Ibanez Prestige RG2550Z
Guild D-150
Gibson Les Paul Signature T VS

AMPS:
Peavey Mini Colosal
H&K Tubemeister 18

PEDALS:
Boss DD-3, NS-1, CS3, CH1, TU-3
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Vox Satchurator
Digitech RV-7
Aside from the obvious difference in sound, the difference in feel between a Les Paul and a strat is huge for me. It's been said before, but really, you gotta try them both out.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Im happy with HSS Strats. I play through a Marshall JCM900 with a few pedals. Great guitars with versatility to play clean, plus the tremelo system. Pickup changes? I have an MIJ strat that had average pups. I put Di Marzio Air Nortons in them. The humbucker in the bridge has a great low end boost and is a great heavy pup without going to distortion pickups. Try them both out, but you wont be disappointed with the HSS
I'd personally take the Strat, but I'm partial because my main guitar is a Fender American Special Strat. Other than the fact the it's S/S/S with a maple neck (my preference), I believe all of the other specs are the same as the HSS model.

The neck on the American Special series has a smooth satin finish and feels great. The Modern-C neck with a 9.5 radius is very comfortable.

I'm not sure about the humbucker in the HSS American Special, I've never played it. The Texas Specials in mine are damn good pickups. If you like everything else about the guitar, you can always swap in a new humbucker in the bridge if you don't find the stock pickup to be what you're looking for.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
I have a cheap Fender Mustang 1 amp. My Jaguar HH (alnico pups) sounded muddy with heavy distortion. Maybe the 57's on Sig T might sound better or the strat humbucker could do the job. I still have to try them out, I don't mind big heavy guitars, i'm a big guy hehehe The thing is, I wanna play from Floyd to Alice in Chains. Still not sure which one to choose...

Thanks to everyone for their comments!
From Floyd to Alice? Either a HSS or a HH with splittable HBs are your best routes.

Oooorrr 2 guitars.

What Danny says FTW

57s don't do Floyd. I changed out my bridge and my neck is on my roundtuit list.

I wouldn't get too hung up on pups as they're fairly easy to change. I changed the single coils out on my strat soon after getting it because I wanted a jb jnr neck and hot rails bridge.

A hss though would do what you want from the box.

Buy both