Hey guys! For a long time, I've always wanted to buy a banjo and learn how to play it. I'm so fascinated by bluesgrass-banjoplayers and groups like Mumford and Sons. I'm a very experienced guitar player, and I play a lot of fingerstyle... for example, Andy McKee songs.

I wanted to see there's any guitarplayers that started playing banjo, and if the transition is hard? Or if anyone want to give me some tips? I guess I'm aiming for a 5 string, and I think that's going to be confusing. I havent played with thumbpick either.

And if someone knows a good Banjo that's not too expensive?

I do not intend to quit playing guitar of course.

Cheers!
Have you experimented with open G tuning on the guitar? If you haven't yet, look it up, try tuning your guitar that way, maybe learn some Stones songs (Keith Richards uses open G a lot for guitar). If I'm not mistaken, banjos tune to Open G too, so maybe it'll help you get used to that tuning.
Quote by ironmanben
Have you experimented with open G tuning on the guitar? If you haven't yet, look it up, try tuning your guitar that way, maybe learn some Stones songs (Keith Richards uses open G a lot for guitar). If I'm not mistaken, banjos tune to Open G too, so maybe it'll help you get used to that tuning.

Not really, been playing alot in DADGAD, but not open G. I might do that! Thanks!
Its a worthwhile transition that I recommend highly! It may be difficult to pick up if you are not accustomed to playing fingerstyle guitar (with plenty of rolls).

The new note layout comes naturally with time.
My Variax has a banjo model on it. Sounds pretty good. :P

There are guitar-banjos out there that would be easier for a guitarist to play, but I don't think you can really do the same riffs that you could do on a traditional banjo. It's more if you want that banjo sound with a guitar feel.