I only use the clean channel on my bdri. Sounds great up to about 4 on the volume, but after that it gets real muddy. I have already replaced the groove tubes with "tung sol" and "winged C" tubes.

Still having the mud problem at high volumes and Internet research has led me to believe that the speaker upgrade might do the trick.

I want a speaker that can maintain the clean sound at a high volume, but I also use a Ross compressor, a TS 808(full scream), and a Carl Martin plexitone. So the ideal speaker should be able to handle those overdriven tones from the pedals too.

Any and all advice is appreciated.
Quote by Playsabadguitar
I only use the clean channel on my bdri. Sounds great up to about 4 on the volume, but after that it gets real muddy. I have already replaced the groove tubes with "tung sol" and "winged C" tubes.

Still having the mud problem at high volumes and Internet research has led me to believe that the speaker upgrade might do the trick.

I want a speaker that can maintain the clean sound at a high volume, but I also use a Ross compressor, a TS 808(full scream), and a Carl Martin plexitone. So the ideal speaker should be able to handle those overdriven tones from the pedals too.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

i am not 100% sure a speaker upgrade will solve the problem. to be on the safe side maybe you should take the amp to a store and bypass the native speaker and try it though a couple cabinets first. this will give you an idea of what a speaker swap will do.

your options for speakers would be pretty wide open. a texas heat will probably match up with the amp well. a weber C12N copy (they call it a 12F150) would give you a more classic tone. you could probably put a celestion blue style speaker in there, the eminence red fang, weber silver bell or celestion gold would all work. also a greenback/G12M-25 style speaker could also do well, there are tons of those out there (celestion creamback, weber 12M or a scumback are a few options that can handle the output of your amp).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I had a similar complaint about my Blues Junior and a Cannabis Rex solved it. It's not super defined, like a V30, but it is clear. It's kind of halfway in my opinion; soft enough to be warm, but defined enough not to get muddy.

That said, my speaker experience is limited and there may be better options out there.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Cathbard
Electro-voice if you can afford it.

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=410

I've had my eye on that, and I can afford it. I have 1200 set aside, and was close to buying a new amp, but there is a lot I like about the BDRI, so I've decided to spend the money improving it, rather than replacing it.

The EVM12L seems very high end. Just hoping it is specifically what I'm looking for. Ideal for cleans at high volume, but also able to handle the heavy overdrive pedals I use.

Thanks for the advice.
Want to hear the EVM12L in full flight? Listen to any Gary Moore recording. That's all he ever used. His amps changed but his cabinet always had EV's, both live and in the studio.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Playsabadguitar
I've had my eye on that, and I can afford it. I have 1200 set aside, and was close to buying a new amp, but there is a lot I like about the BDRI, so I've decided to spend the money improving it, rather than replacing it.

The EVM12L seems very high end. Just hoping it is specifically what I'm looking for. Ideal for cleans at high volume, but also able to handle the heavy overdrive pedals I use.

Thanks for the advice.

my personal experience with the 12L is that it can sound harsh, it is demanding in it's attention to detail but rewarding in it's demand. it will not hide mistakes and punishes sloppy playing, but rewards your ability to control nuances. generally i prefer such a speaker, i want my skill to be rewarded by a responding to my dynamics.

personally i would be hesitant to use it as my only speaker, i would prefer to use it with something that is less precise.

i will also add that it is not a jack of trade speaker, there is somethings i don't think it does very well in. for example, high gain applications can make the speaker sound quite harsh and it is finicky as to which amp you hook it up to.

now i must admit that much of my negative criticism of the speaker is really shared by all speakers: that there is limitations to what it can do. for example: if a speaker is precise and highly dynamic (like a 12L) then it loses the ability to compress and compress and even out dynamics (like a G12M-25).

i will say this, the EVM-12L is one of the most responsive high power-handling speakers i have ever played.

-ae
Hmmm... That makes me hesitant, but very helpful because I don't want to drop 300 and not like it. I will be running overdrive pedals through it at full scream and I want those to sound warm and melodic, not harsh. So maybe the 12L is not for me.

I don't mind the unforgiving aspect. I like that, and for the few songs that I have a lot of open strings ringing out in the background (and which I need some lower response) I have used shared pick up settings very successfully.
Man, the 12L can be used as a bass guitar speaker. It has oodles of bass.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Playsabadguitar
Hmmm... That makes me hesitant, but very helpful because I don't want to drop 300 and not like it. I will be running overdrive pedals through it at full scream and I want those to sound warm and melodic, not harsh. So maybe the 12L is not for me.

I don't mind the unforgiving aspect. I like that, and for the few songs that I have a lot of open strings ringing out in the background (and which I need some lower response) I have used shared pick up settings very successfully.

mind you, i gave a very critical description of the speaker. but i thought you may want to hear another POV before purchasing as you will be dropping 300 bills on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7UEYwoh32U

that compares it to a (i believe) G12M-25/greenback clone. notice on the OD tones it has a bit more of a 'sting' rather than a 'wooden' tone?

i actually prefer to use them as such:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14ROdQrkoeM

that is my preferred EVM-12L-style tone. i think it kills that. i think i'd still prefer to mix it with another speaker though. and it'd depends on the amp for me too. like i'd put an EV in one of my music man amps, but i think i'd choose something else for my 1974X marshall. that is just my preference though, some people really like that marshall sound with the 12L.

Quote by Cathbard
Man, the 12L can be used as a bass guitar speaker. It has oodles of bass.

yeah, they can do that. i mostly played a 12L outta a mesa 1x12 theile ported cab. i did some bass with it and it def wasn't one of my favored bass speakers.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jan 13, 2014,
I am only using one amp and a very sime set up.

All my pedals are high end, and I am trying to adjust my BDRI to exactly what I want.

I do appreciate the critical perspective. "wooden" tone for OD is more my style.
^yeah, it's got that sting to it.

-ae
I'd look into a used fender twin.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ibanezguitars44
I'd look into a used fender twin.

yeah, I know. I feel like the twin might truly be the amp for me. With all the clean headroom to work my pedals with, I'd probably be happier with it.

At the moment I am committed to MODing my BDRI so I can get exactly what I want out of it and learn a lot in the process. If I buy the twin, my budget is crushed and I wouldn't be able to do anything to it to make it my own.