drizzt26
43 IQ
I have spent so much time just trying to learn songs I am behind on learning a key element…which pickup to use. If anyone would be kind enough to help me out with advice on application I would be grateful. Groups I play. Rage, GNR, Metillica, Tool, ACDC. I run a Boogie. Play Les Pauls with original Tim Shaws in the neck and Duncan SH4 in the Bridge. Thanks in advance guys
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
They both sound different. So use the bridge pickup when you want the sound the bridge pickup gives you, and use the neck pickup when you want the sound the neck pickup gives you.

And if you can't tell the difference? Well, it doesn't really matter then does it? In that case just wait until your ear improves and start worrying about it when you CAN tell the difference.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Reages
882 IQ
Or if you want a general rule of thumb: neck for solos and sometimes lead guitar parts, bridge for everything else.
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by Reages
Or if you want a general rule of thumb: neck for solos and sometimes lead guitar parts, bridge for everything else.

If TS can't tell the difference enough to develop an opinion, what does it matter anyway?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox
1,543 IQ
probably just stick with the neck* pickup for now, even for leads. i find that the neck pickup is really only useful when you want that specific, smoother sound where the notes seem like they're bleeding into each other.

i always use the neck pickup for cleans though, it just makes it sound so much fuller.

*edit: i meant to say bridge here
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Jan 13, 2014,
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
you meant to say "bridge" first, didn't you?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox
1,543 IQ
Quote by steven seagull
you meant to say "bridge" first, didn't you?

yuuup i did. sorry for the confusion!
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
whatever sounds more appropriate

as a general rule of thumb, for heavier/more distorted rhythm parts you generally use the bridge pickup. for solos you can use either neck or bridge. for cleaner passages I tend to like the "in-between" settings.
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

reincarnator
220 IQ
As Mr Seagull said, go with whichever gets you the sound you want.
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!