so i have a hrd and i want to move to a 15 to 20 watt amp. my first choice is a blues jr. my budget is $500 tops used. what are my options. i
Location?
what sounds do you want?
Gig or home use?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
gig. and home
i want something versatile. enough headroom for some cleans, also an amp that works well with pedals.
My vote, as usual, is a Vox
AC15c1
But if you gig, you will probably have to Mic it up unless your drummer is a light weight.

But Vox is not for everyone.
Try some out if you can.
yeah i have a friend who has a vox vt15. sounds good but i dig a more fender tone with single coils.
The VT series is way different than the AC series (Not to be confused with the AC30VR amps, those suck IMO).

The VT series are great for at home practice amps though. Although (again IMO, the stock speakers blow).

The Blues Jr. would probably be good for you, but yet again, try some out before you lay out the cash if you can. My experience with the Blues Jr. is limited to trying those owned by friends during some jam/party sessions.
I've played with the Blues Jr extensively. NOT versatile at all, but takes pedals well.

Dont limit yourself to 15-20 watts. Wattage is not directly related to volume. In fact, if you want clean headroom, more wattage is generally desirable. There's a volume knob there for a reason.

My recommendations for versatility are:
Peavey Classic 30
Egnater Tweaker
Peavey Ultra
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by brenton.white.5
gig. and home
i want something versatile. enough headroom for some cleans, also an amp that works well with pedals.

you are contradicting yourself. headroom 15-20 watts and good cleans? shoot for something tiny and never see cleans and still to get powertube gain, which is blistering loud/deafening. or something bigger with headroom for pedals?

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you are contradicting yourself. headroom 15-20 watts and good cleans? shoot for something tiny and never see cleans and still to get powertube gain, which is blistering loud/deafening. or something bigger with headroom for pedals?

+1, exactly what I was about to post. More wattage = higher volume cleans.

Low wattage = no cleans at high (gig) volumes. If you want cleans I definitely would not even look at anything under 30W. I'd be looking at stuff 40W & up.

What is really your issue, what about your HRD is making you want a new amp?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jan 13, 2014,
agreed- you need to know what you're looking for. A lot of people say things like "you only need so many watts", and that may well be true for their specific situation, but might not be true for yours. If you know cleans are a priority I dunno if I'd go down to 15 watts. you might be happier with your current amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?