This is stretching the definition of GG&A but I usually get the best feedback here... so anyhow I'm looking for some advice on connecting a USB or HDMI(?) mic to my panasonic HDC-SD80 video. I want to do some youtube guitar clips, but the audio sounds like shit. If anyone has experience with this please share.

Thx
i wouldn't even bother hooking it up to the camcorder, there is bound to be an audio bottleneck somewhere in there and it is probably more trouble than it is worth anyway.

if i want to do a project like this then i tend to record the audio straight into my computer's DAW software using a good interface while recording the video on the camera.

then i'll just take the audio and sync it up to the video in post production. i can do stuff like this in garageband, and i think i have done it in imovie as well. if you run a windows machine then you can easily find software that can do this as well.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Dang, I was hoping to avoid all this hassle. I have an iMac with Garage band and also a Creative input/output device (not sure what you call it, someone gave it to me) with a Studio Projects pre-amp, but I have not used that in ages. The device came with a PCI card that I installed into my PC so I can record MP3 files. f uh ck.......
wow, i was gonna try to address what options you do have but there is no microphone input on that particular camera anyway. so you have no choice but to record audio separately if you want better sound quality.

-ae
Quote by Marrowoflife
It has a micro USB and HDMI jack, so not sure I understand what you mean.

the normal camcorder microphone input is 1/8" TRS style, it definitely doesn't have that.

beyond that, those USB and HDMI hookups are not designed to take audio as an input at all. the usb and HDMI are only there to facilitate output of the A/V from the camera. that might not be the case with all camcorders, but it is the case with your camcorder.

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jan 12, 2014,