I remember reading about some sort of headphones that you can hook to the back of your ear and they work by vibration, rather than a speaker. Anyone know what I'm talking about? I want to listen to my ipod at work, but we aren't allowed. A thing like that would be perfect, but I can't find them. I remember them being marketed like you can hear your environment and those around you while still hearing your ipod or whatever.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

I might be, know anything about em?
Quote by MetalGS3SE

speakers are vibrations mate
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Or you could simply be professional, and follow the rules of your workplace...? I never understood why people constantly feel like they need their headphones in at all times.
¯\_()_/¯
It might be advertised that you can hear your surroundings but I imagine it would still be a huge distraction.
Even with only one normal earphone in I should have realistically been able to hear my surroundings but I always tend to ignore surroundings and focus more on the music which is counter productive for two reasons
1) I'm still not paying attention to my surroundings, that problem is still there
2) I'm only hearing 'half the song' and it's kind of worse than having no music at all.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Quote by CaptainCanti
Or you could simply be professional, and follow the rules of your workplace...? I never understood why people constantly feel like they need their headphones in at all times.

Because they enjoy listening to their music and they get bored at work when there is nothing to do?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Buy a Bluetooth headset for your phone. They'll never know you're listening to music and it leaves the other ear available to listen your surroundings.
Get headphones that look like ears and fit over your actual ears.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by CaptainCanti

I up until recently worked in a place where my job entailed standing in one spot for 8 hours moving food products from an oven to a conveyor line, with the purpose of my job being essentially quality control. Additionally, on most days, depending on where in the plant I was placed, there was zero opportunity for interaction with other humans outside of the lunch break. Additionally, we are provided with radios at every oven. This would be glorious if, a) we weren't then being forced (you could hear the radio of the person nearest you even if yours is off, since they are turned up loudly to hear clearly over the machinery) to listen to radio stations that have 3 hour playlists for 160 hours a month, and b) 99% of radio music wasn't unbearable. The stupid reason we couldn't bring in our own music? They're afraid of outside contamination. As if we don't have sanitary wipes at all of the ovens, which we use frequently.

I never worked out a way to listen to my own music without being busted, but surely, while working in a place where I performed a single task, usually taking about 6 seconds to perform, repeatedly for 8 hours, having no human interaction, and being bombarded with the same music I've heard a million times, you could understand why I would want to. Honestly, while I value rules, and some extent of authority, simply being able to listen to whatever music I wanted, or even some audiobooks, would have changed this from being a soul crushingly unbearable job to a job so pleasant I wouldn't even bother going to school.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
I up until recently worked in a place where my job entailed standing in one spot for 8 hours moving food products from an oven to a conveyor line, with the purpose of my job being essentially quality control. Additionally, on most days, depending on where in the plant I was placed, there was zero opportunity for interaction with other humans outside of the lunch break. Additionally, we are provided with radios at every oven. This would be glorious if, a) we weren't then being forced (you could hear the radio of the person nearest you even if yours is off, since they are turned up loudly to hear clearly over the machinery) to listen to radio stations that have 3 hour playlists for 160 hours a month, and b) 99% of radio music wasn't unbearable. The stupid reason we couldn't bring in our own music? They're afraid of outside contamination. As if we don't have sanitary wipes at all of the ovens, which we use frequently.

I never worked out a way to listen to my own music without being busted, but surely, while working in a place where I performed a single task, usually taking about 6 seconds to perform, repeatedly for 8 hours, having no human interaction, and being bombarded with the same music I've heard a million times, you could understand why I would want to. Honestly, while I value rules, and some extent of authority, simply being able to listen to whatever music I wanted, or even some audiobooks, would have changed this from being a soul crushingly unbearable job to a job so pleasant I wouldn't even bother going to school.

What food's quality were you controlling? I know a guy who worked at Hot Pocket.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by CaptainCanti

if you're scrubbing dishes for an entire night from 5:00pm to 1:00am and dealing with assholes in between, it's almost a necessity in order to prevent people from making visits to the hospital.

if you catch my drift.

Quote by Macabre_Turtle

goddamn

how have you not killed yourself yet?
Last edited by Dregen at Jan 13, 2014,
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

Have you tried beating your children yet?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Macabre_Turtle

This guy gets it. I'm working in a factory inspecting car parts. Same shit, so mind numbing. We don't even get music. ANY music.
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Quote by Skynyrd890
What food's quality were you controlling? I know a guy who worked at Hot Pocket.

Joy Cone, the manufacturer of nearly all North American ice cream cones.

Quote by Dregen

goddamn

how have you not killed yourself yet?

Making $14 an hour helped. But, I only lasted a year before deciding I needed to go to college. I still worked part time for another 2 years after that, and I could maintain my sanity doing it for 15 hours a week. At one point during my part time stint I worked another 40 hour week, and nearly fell into a genuine depression, contemplating the value of life.

Quote by snipelfritz
Have you tried beating your children yet?

I suppose I could try beating others.

Quote by naedauuf
This guy gets it. I'm working in a factory inspecting car parts. Same shit, so mind numbing. We don't even get music. ANY music.

There are people that have been working in this plant for 50 plus years. I don't know how they do it. It's not even a difficult job by any means. Just mentally unbearable.
Quote by Macabre_Turtle
There are people that have been working in this plant for 50 plus years. I don't know how they do it. It's not even a difficult job by any means. Just mentally unbearable.

I know what you mean man. I dont know how anyone does it. I've been here three weeks and already want to kill myself. It is a good realization though to think this is the rest of your life unless you do something about it. I'm going to fill out my military application soon after three years of saying I'm going to. I don't want this for the rest of my life, **** that. I wouldn't wish a lifetime of this on my worst enemy.
Quote by MetalGS3SE

Quote by naedauuf
I know what you mean man. I dont know how anyone does it. I've been here three weeks and already want to kill myself. It is a good realization though to think this is the rest of your life unless you do something about it. I'm going to fill out my military application soon after three years of saying I'm going to. I don't want this for the rest of my life, **** that. I wouldn't wish a lifetime of this on my worst enemy.

This job took me from someone who barely got through high school to a 3.8 university student. Best/worst thing that ever happened to me.