I google searched and found nothing.

UG says a compressor puts all your notes out at the same level. I have a maleko comp which I like and have the sensitivity set around 7. I like it there but I want to understand what this means.
It means how hard you have to pick before the compressor brings the level of the note down. If the sensitivity is high, you don't have to hit the strings very hard for the compression to take place and vice versa
Quote by Playsabadguitar
I google searched and found nothing.

UG says a compressor puts all your notes out at the same level. I have a maleko comp which I like and have the sensitivity set around 7. I like it there but I want to understand what this means.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

compressors have pretty much 3 or 4 controls depending on how complex they are. the two big ones are:

threshold - the intensity of the input signal at which the unit starts compressing
ratio - how hard it compresses once it hits the threshold

there are a number of other parameters too, but these are the usual ones that show up on guitar compressors. the rest of the parameters are usually fixed at some value.

according to malekko the sensitivity knob "adjusts compression amount", so i am guessing this would be the 'ratio' parameter. there is also a strong possibility that it controls a mixture of parameters, for example the sensitivity knob could control threshold and ratio to increase ratio and therefore the amount it compresses and lower threshold point so it is compressing the signal more often.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
The "compressor" market for guitars is a ****ed up thing. Some "compressors" are actually limiters, and some "limiters" are actually compressors.

Limiters are what really squash your signal and get all of your output at the same level.

Compressors are, generally, much more subtle, and are typically used for additional sustain, and to squash a little bit.

I was very interested in these effects a little while ago and researched a lot about them. If you want some hardcore squash, you need to leave the ****ed up Guitar Compressor world, and head over to bass land - the Aguilar TLC is excellent, as is the MXR M87.

In guitar effects, the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone & Philosopher's Rock can limit, but they kind of suck because they are extremely limited control wise. They don't give you much control over how they work, which I really dislike.

Also take a look at the Boss LM-2 Limiter, but it's one of those Boss pedals that's kind of rare.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X