The guitar the Dimebag Darrel used (correct me if I'm wrong) I have always wanted to acquire. It just looks so Metal.

Has anyone had any personal experience with this guitar, is it reliable. Good sound, etc?

Really any kind of feedback at all is welcome, I just want to talk Razorback.

And yes I have done some research, I just want to know some people's honest opinions.
I have a couple Deans that I love.

If you decide to get one, don't buy one of the entry-level ones: $500 is my minimum price for considering a new Dean.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Dimebag never actually played a Razorback. He was killed a short time before he had the opportunity to.

But in my honest opinion, I wouldn't be caught dead with one. They make you look like a complete and utter Dimebag wannabe, and even the hardware in the higher-end ones is not that great. Seymour Duncan Dimebuckers are a load of arse and a Floyd Rose Special in a guitar they're asking $1000 for is very silly money.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 13, 2014,
If you want guitar that dimebag actually used look at Dean ML models.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I have never played a Dean that I liked; every single one I've tried has felt plasticky and horrible. Pickups always seem to be fuzzy and muddy through gain.

Personally, I would never buy one but that's possibly just me.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I have never played a Dean that I liked; every single one I've tried has felt plasticky and horrible. Pickups always seem to be fuzzy and muddy through gain.

Personally, I would never buy one but that's possibly just me.

I wholeheartedly agree.
In the same price ranges, i always found better options than Deans.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I like the feel of my Razorback, but she remains in her case as she's battered to hell. She sounds really horrible though.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
A Razorback, like most of the extreme-looking "metal" guitars is largely a piece of costume and adornment, like guyliner, black leather and studs. It's for the guy who's got five or six guitars already and is going to be playing over the top metal shows. Even then, the real metal players will likely giggle a bit if you pull one out. It's a great way to line the pockets of the people who are profiting off his death.
I quite like the FBD ML. But I'd never go for a Razorback.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Dimebag never actually played a Razorback. He was killed a short time before he had the opportunity to.

But in my honest opinion, I wouldn't be caught dead with one. They make you look like a complete and utter Dimebag wannabe, and even the hardware in the higher-end ones is not that great. Seymour Duncan Dimebuckers are a load of arse and a Floyd Rose Special in a guitar they're asking $1000 for is very silly money.

This, pretty much.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
Hmmm. Thanks all for the resourcefulness of your experience!

I ask, however, what would be your choice metal guitar? (or other genre if need be).
Quote by ultimatetwolf

I ask, however, what would be your choice metal guitar? (or other genre if need be).

I am really partial to androgynous type gutiars. For instance, I have an Ibanez S model, and an old LTD H model (with the cockstock). They are superstrats, but they are relatively really rounded, so they don't look terribly out of place in any genre.

PRS Custom guitars are also very popular for that look.

There's also the Les Paul, which is basically cheating/god mode. It is never aesthetically out of place, ever.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ultimatetwolf

My recipe for a metal guitar starts with at least one relatively high output pickup-usually in the bridge- then a dash of attitude...

Guitars I own that I play metal on most often:

Dean Special Select EVO (HH)
Dean Time Capsule Cadillac (HH)
Malden Bad Karma (HH, individually coil tapped)
Electra Omega (HH, individually coil tapped)
Fernandes Ravelle Elite (HH, Sustainer)
Fernandes Ravelle Goldtop LE (HH)
RockBeach Camelback III (HSS)

Besides those, my G.A.S. list includes and/or I would recommend:

1) almost everything by Fernandes

2) the Godin Redline HB or Velocity

3) several Reverend guitars, specifically those with the new RailHammer pickups: the Reeves Gabrels sig II, the Volvano RA, the Sensei RA series, Kingbolt RA series and both Bayonets. The Chisel or Anvil pickups are the hottest; the HyperVintage is voiced more like a traditional HB.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 14, 2014,
Quote by ultimatetwolf

Explorer, V and/or Soloist
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Explorer, V and/or Soloist

This.

V's are so comfortable to play, but I know a lot of people don't like them for some reason. But it's all preference.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
V and Explorer are always good choices, lots of great guitars in those shapes. Thing is that if they feel good in your hands. I like V's myself both standing up and sitting down but not all agree. Never tried Explorer myself and I do have an itch for one.

And I agree Offworld, Les Pauls are like a cheat codes. It doesnt matter if you are playing in Church gospel music or B-tuned Death Metal in bar gig Les Paul shape looks amazing. Always. Case in point on the right:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c8/Carcass_31.jpg/275px-Carcass_31.jpg

In V's the Jackson X serie guitars (RRXT, KVXT and such) seem to be great bang for the buck. Pickups leave something to be desired (Duncan Designed or EMG HZ) of but otherwise specs look great. Neck through construction and all. With Les Pauls there is too many to list.

What is your price range anyway?

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 14, 2014,
Quote by ultimatetwolf

Paul Reed Smith Singlecut;
Paul Reed Smith Custom;
Gibson Les Paul;
Gibson Explorer; or
Gibson Flying V

in that exact order.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Jan 14, 2014,
I really like my Dean. I don't find the dimebucker as harsh as most people, It's actually very thick and meaty, definitely the thickest sounding guitar I have and I have a LP copy with a JB in the bridge. I also find the FR to be just fine, though like most it is a pain to work with and adjust. Stays in tune well, fast neck, but the look is the main problem. Fits the metal I usually play, but nothing I play currently on the road. Still a mean guitar. Looking to swap it for a more "rock guitar" PM if you're interested!
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Please don't get a Razorback. Way overpriced and they look terrible in my opinion. What style of metal do you play? (bands etc.) what's your budget? I know that I love my Ibanez RG3120 Prestige. Real shredders guitar, but it is extremely versatile as well. Something like it will cost you far less than a Razorback and will arguably be built better, will sound better, and will definitely look better. The used market is a pretty good place to get yourself a great guitar.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by constructbot
Please don't get a Razorback. Way overpriced and they look terrible in my opinion. What style of metal do you play? (bands etc.) what's your budget? I know that I love my Ibanez RG3120 Prestige. Real shredders guitar, but it is extremely versatile as well. Something like it will cost you far less than a Razorback and will arguably be built better, will sound better, and will definitely look better. The used market is a pretty good place to get yourself a great guitar.

No question that Ibanez RG is a good guitar but considering he was asking about Razorback I am pretty sure he is looking for something more flashy than yet-another-Superstrat guitar. (which I am personally sick of. I would honestly take Razorback instead )

But yeah, without budget we cant really recommend anything.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 15, 2014,