Hello!
I want a cabinet with vintage 30's. Im running an ESP Eclipse with active Emg 80/61s into an Orange Tiny Terror. I will be using the setup mainly for metal. I live in Denmark (Europe).
I'm buying used, and currently on the used market, this is what is avalible:
A Marshall 1960BV Slash signature 4x12 with Celestion v30 (looks cool, and has WHEELS) - 450 dollars
An Orange PPC 412 Black with 4x uk vintage Celestion v30's - 750 dollars
A Mesa Boogie Slant STD cab 4x uk vintage Celestion v30's - 1000 dollars

What do you guys think? The two main competitors for me are the Orange and the Marshall, and the Marshall is convinient (it's close to where I live). So unless the Orane is miles better, so far, the Marshall is winning.
It's really hard to say because I am not familiar with your market or prices at all where you live.

But I will say that the Orange is not $300 better than the Marshall, and the Mesa is DEFINITELY not $550 better. The Mesa is about on par with the Orange, though most people think the Orange is a little better.

The Marshall seems like the obvious choice to me.

Is budget an issue? Since you're in Europe, you should definitely look at the Harley Benton cabs with V30s. AFAIK, they're made out of plywood, and are absolutely ridiculous deals for V30 cabs. I'd take one over a Marshall just for the value.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Well, I have the money for whatever cab, but I would prefer not spending more than 700 bucks. I looked into the Harly Benton, and a new 4x12 vintage 30 cab from them cost a little more than the used marshall. I couldnt find a used benton with the specs I wanted, so so far, Im still sticking to Marshall.
You'd need a 1960av they are stock with V30's. That's where I stole mine from ha
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
The celestion v30s found in the 1960BV, are they the same as the ones you would find in the orange/mesa 4x12 (british quality and that shit)?
Impressive prices.

I just bought a 4x12 with four Vintage 30's (nicely broken in) for $200 here in LA. Pulled the Vintage 30's and passed the cabinet on for $150. Aside from brand name, most 4x12 cabinets (the wood, not the speakers) are largely identical once you raise their skirts, and there's rarely a good reason to pay for brand name as long as you get to the minimum of a 30x30x14 box made of good voidless plywood with a good brace in the center.

I'm pretty much done with 4x12s except as stage dressing (and mine -- I've got four -- haven't moved out of storage for almost five years). They beam, they're heavy and bulky and you pretty much need a stack of two to hear what you're *really* putting out.

So these V30's are going in a pair of 2x12s for a friend. Had a guy build me a pair for $100 each that have Genz-Benz style slot ports on both sides (they'll be used in a tall vertical 1x4 arrangement) and some internal bracing. The sides are thinner plywood and overall, these are lighter than standard 2x12s. The ports really don't do much but redirect some of the sound off the back of the speakers around to the front, but at least they avoid most phasing issues. We then hosed them down with LineX pickup truck bed liner, and that stuff is brutal when it comes to resisting damage (or inflicting it on other pieces of gear <G>. Stacked vertically, he can hear what he's doing (they're around 5' tall) and he just plops his tube head on top of the other guitarist's tube head. And they don't beam icepick treble the way the 4x12 would have. And they fit in the back of his car more easily. And since his buddy was getting his pickup bed done, he got his LineX for just a few bucks, and it's the same color as his friend's pickup.
I think I will be able to get the seller to agree to 400 on the slash cab. What kind of celestion v30s are in? They say Marshall G12 on them.
Doubt those are V30's then. But for that price, I'd go for it
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
What are they then?
Also, I think I can get him to sell it to me for 400 bucks, thoughts?
Are they 70 watts? As far as I know those speakers are Marshall's version of Vintage 30, Celestion makes them just for Marshall, main difference is wattage, Marshall version is 70 watts while normal ones are 60.
Yes, they are indeed 70 watts. Any difference sound wise? How is the quality control? Are they made in England or China?
They are Marshall Vintage Speakers,(made by celestion) They ARE vintage 30's as was said, just different wattage. I've seen emails claiming both that they are the same and that they are different (from celestion customer support) and I've also heard people say both that they sound the same or that they sound different. Its what I have and I like them well enough. I believe they would be made in England.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Last edited by RCA1186 at Jan 15, 2014,
Quote by Foldageren
Yes, they are indeed 70 watts. Any difference sound wise? How is the quality control? Are they made in England or China?

I wouldn't worry about quality control, I'm sure they are OK. I don't know where are they made or how do they sound compared to standard V30. They maybe sound the same and maybe they don't, some people say there is no difference, some say there is. I guess they are very similar, people might have heard a difference in sound but that could be because of one speaker being more broken in than the other or something similar.

If those cabs you listed in your first post are still the only options you have, I think you should get that Marshall.
I also think that the fact their think their is a difference, makes a difference :p
But I will go try it out with my Tiny terror and guitar this weekend (yay portability).