Ive been playing for quite some time now and im only familiar with basic levels of music theory. What i cant grasp is how do you learn all the scales? i know only the Em and first i learned the scale shapes and after some time i forgot the scale shapes and just saw my target notes on the fretboard as a whole.

What i want to know is how do you learn alot of scales? because i just get confused. DO you practice all 12 keys everyday?
So I understand that you learnt the E minor scale at some point. Did you ever learn where the note E can be found on the guitar?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
When I started learning music theory, three things really helped me when learning scales: notation, intervals and the Circle of 5th's, (or 4th's). First I only practiced the first position in all twelve keys; major and minor. Second I would identify all my incidentals, (sharps/flats), on the fret board until I knew where they were without thinking about it.

I know this sounds silly, but when I would practice the scales I would play super slow and call out each note as I played. I would also do this when finding all my incidentals as well. Intervals, modes and relationships all followed. I never worried about shapes. I felt that shapes or positions bound my ability.

Honestly that is my short answer. Hope it helped some.....
"Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?"
Quote by AlanHB
So I understand that you learnt the E minor scale at some point. Did you ever learn where the note E can be found on the guitar?

When i say i learnt the Em scale i mean i have a pretty fair grasp of where the notes E F# G A B C D can be found on the fretboard. But if say i have to solo in F# minor i may know where i can find F# G# A B C# D E but my fingers just keep on going to Em notes. I hope you understand what im saying.
Yes! Repeat them over 9000 times until you can play them anywhere on the fretboard without thinking too much. Don't learn them from scale pattern pictures on guitar websites or whatever. Instead learn the scale intervals and figure out the scales yourself. Pay attention to the note names as you play them.
If you can play in the Key of F#, you can play in any Key/pitch
Simply use the guitar neck like a slide ruler. The same concept as using the bar chord.
I also play it like an open chord position and bar possition.
Meaning moving towards the nut or the bridge.
I also practice doing the intervals in a single string.
The power chord gives me a simple reffernce piont. I know where the root and fifth are.

When I practice, Im also training my ear. It's better if i do it slow.
Example I can distinguish the semi tone between the 3rd and minor 3rd.
It's basically all down hill from there.

I use this site to give me quick reference to different type of scales.
I just use the intervals numbers. Not worry so much what Key or pitch.
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?scchnam=Blues+Variation+3&get2=Get&t=20&choice=1

The scale we're using as the reference point is call a diatonic scale. In the KEYof C.
Learn this one first....1/2 step between the 3, 4 and 7,8

A simple video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUH0yG5fYA

If you want to know the names of each intervals....the basic of it.
which helps later but not required.

TONIC, supertonic, midiant, subdominate, DOMINATE, submidiant, Leadingtone, Octive
Last edited by smc818 at Jan 13, 2014,
Quote by danyal92
When i say i learnt the Em scale i mean i have a pretty fair grasp of where the notes E F# G A B C D can be found on the fretboard. But if say i have to solo in F# minor i may know where i can find F# G# A B C# D E but my fingers just keep on going to Em notes. I hope you understand what im saying.

Yeah you just need to practice the others more and get a feel for the notes relative to eachother.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Consider NOT learning the "scales". It can be a major stumbling block to improving and it generally makes solo construction more difficult. I'd recommend instead to learn triads or chord tone soloing.