First is, I love jangly and clear, bright tone. Is there any humbucker pickup that sounds bright, and clear and jangle tone? or near like that.

and Second is, Does coil-tapped humbucker REALLY sounds like single coil? I have ES-339 PRO which can use coil-tap feature, and I've used it but I think there's just a kind of thickness of tone change. I never used single coil guitars before, so I don't know how it sounds like. Thanks.
The Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell and Seymour Duncan Stagg Mag are two that you should probably look into.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
That jangle you seek is mostly a function of using clean pickups, on a clean channel, your tone knob and a couple of effects, like chorus or echo. (A 12-string helps, too.)

Some HBs ARE better than others for this: TV Jones pickups are famous for this.

As for coil tapping, how it sounds depends on the tonal qualities of the humbucker being split.

For example, Lace Alumitone HBs sound a lot like Lace Alumitone singlecoils when split. That is largely because Lace Alumitones have a unique construction that makes the HBs and singles sound a lot alike in the first place.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 13, 2014,
Quote by kyuseok
First is, I love jangly and clear, bright tone. Is there any humbucker pickup that sounds bright, and clear and jangle tone? or near like that.

and Second is, Does coil-tapped humbucker REALLY sounds like single coil? I have ES-339 PRO which can use coil-tap feature, and I've used it but I think there's just a kind of thickness of tone change. I never used single coil guitars before, so I don't know how it sounds like. Thanks.

1. Yes! A fair number of PAF type bridge pickups are bright and jangly, though with your goals I'd suggest looking into P-90s. There are several that fit in a humbucker route.

2. Not really? Some do more than others, but in general humbuckers are designed with no regard for how they will sound split, so it's not uncommon to have an underwhelming result. Some pickups like the Duncan P-rails and the Rio Grande Tallboy are designed to sound like a "proper" single coil when split.
Yes! A fair number of PAF type bridge pickups are bright and jangly, though with your goals I'd suggest looking into P-90s. There are several that fit in a humbucker route

Yep, and from a wide variety of makers.

I'm currently putting a HB and HBS* P90 from The Creamery into a custom build, and am considering some Vintage Vibes, Bareknuckles or RailHammers for an upgrade project. Lollar and others also make them.

* humbucker-sized
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 13, 2014,
Okay -- good advice so far.

Roc8995 mentioned the Duncan P-Rails, and I'd second that. They're actually a hybrid pickup with a real rail coil single coil (ala a strat) and a real P90 coil in the same humbucker-size pickup. There are three output levels (SD will recommend one as a neck pickup and the other two as bridge pickups, but I'm not sure that's really the best way to evaluate them). There are FOUR ways you can use them: humbucking serial (standard humbucker)/humbucking parallel (a thinner sounding but still humbucking mode)/P90 coil only/rail coil only.

SD generally has you installing them with the rail coil on the inside, but I prefer them with the rail coil right up next to the bridge (on the bridge pickup) and with the rail coil right up next to the fretboard. There are special pickup rings available from SD (the "Triple Shot") that will handle the switching if you don't want to play with push-pull pots or put holes in your guitar. Honestly, I put the holes in and used three-way miniswitches (serial/P90/railcoil) for each pickup. Easier to see where you're set at a glance, or by feel.

In answer to your question regarding coil split pickups -- some humbuckers do well with this and sound like a strat single coil, some just sound wimpy. My favorites are high output pickups that have been split, because the remaining active coil actually has an output closer to a good strat pickup. A PAF-style humbucker will generally have very low output and may or may not work very well (usually not so much). One of my alltime favorites is the ~14Kohm Carvin M22SD. It's a very good, nicely raucous lead pickup in humbucker mode, and it's a really nice coil-split pickup that plays well with other single coils.

Be aware that when you're running a single coil pickup, it's not humbucking, so don't be surprised to hear a bit of hum and noise if you're in an area with a lot of neon lighting, or an ice machine turning its compressor on and off (typical bar environment). Usually not a big issue unless you're recording.
Last edited by dspellman at Jan 13, 2014,
In answer to your question regarding coil split pickups -- some humbuckers do well with this and sound like a strat single coil, some just sound wimpy. My favorites are high output pickups that have been split, because the remaining active coil actually has an output closer to a good strat pickup

Agreed there.

Most of the good coil-split HBs in my collection are higher output ones- the Tesla VR-Extremes in a custom, the stock pickups in my Malden Bad Karma and Electra Omega Prime...

And the Railhammer Chisels in the Reverend Reeves Gabrels sig II that I want to buy also sound quite good.

I don't know about the tone thing but that tone you are seeking seems to me that it is probably more of an amp tone thing and not in the pickup, but I don't know. It's not a bad idea to try to turn up that treble and turn down the gain. Now the thing about coil tapping. It really is supposed to and does sound like a single coil. The thickness you hear is probably the warm wood of the guitar because the fender single coiled guitars are typically made with brighter tonewoods. Also keep in mind that strats and tele's bridge pickups are tilted, which doesn't make that much of a difference in tone. Basically the tone you hear is what you would hear if you put a single coil untilted in your gibson, which makes sense because that is exactly what gibson did.