I remember when I was younger I used to write tons of poems but now, whenever I get inspired, I just feel uncomfortable writing my thoughts down. Same goes for thinking of melodies. I feel like I'm overestimating myself thinking I'd be able to actually make something good. How do I get over this? Any ideas?
Quote by Miltam
I feel like I'm overestimating myself thinking I'd be able to actually make something good. How do I get over this? Any ideas?

good enough for someone else or for you? you should be writing for yourself, not because it has to be good for somebody else.

If thats not the case then you are really bringing yourself down.
Everything you write down for yourself is good enough because it's who you are.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
I know what you mean. The fear that people won't appreciate what you write as much as you do is a big de-motivator. Unfortunately, music is one of those areas where someone will always be able to find a criticism, so if you choose to share your music with people, you'll have to be ready for that.

But only if you choose to share it. Because your notebook? Your creative space? That's sacred. That belongs to you and no one else. Don't let anyone else take your creative space away from you. The ability to create is one of the things that makes you truly unique. No one else would write the same song in the same way that you would.

In the end, if you're worried that someone else won't like the music that you write, you can always choose not to share it with them. You can take your song away from them. But don't let that decision mean that you won't create the music in the first place. Don't let them take your song away from you. I hope that makes sense.
Quote by Miltam
I remember when I was younger I used to write tons of poems but now, whenever I get inspired, I just feel uncomfortable writing my thoughts down. Same goes for thinking of melodies. I feel like I'm overestimating myself thinking I'd be able to actually make something good. How do I get over this? Any ideas?

Its a self defence mechanism because you realise that your lyrics are embarrassingly trite and therefore you don't wish to be embarrassed in front of others who will call you out as a tool who can't write, OR EVEN WORSE pay you soppy untruthful compliments.

My advice: Don't let anyone see or hear your "music" until you are confident enough that you have made a reasonable effort at avoiding embarrassment.
Gidday,

Just take a look @ the lyrics to many well known songs.
Some are very ordinary,but they work!
Who`s to say whats good/bad?
I have your same problem. I'm very unsure of myself when it comes to music. The only advice I can give, which I've been working on a lot lately, is to remember that the music you create for yourself is for you. I know this and still think "what if this sucks?" or "this was good yesterday but is bad now" etc. I feel like I'm the harshest critic when it comes to my own music.

I hope both of us get over our problems because, I don't know about you, but I really do enjoy making music...I just criticize myself too mucj
I want to disagree with BlindRabbit. you don't have to share if you don't feel comfortable doing so.... but don't let fear be the motivator for that. Maybe your words are too personal and you don't want to share... or maybe you have other reasons of your own. But ... even if you think your words are trite... even if you think it's not good enough... you shouldn't let that fear stop you. See ... musicians are notoriously unconfident in themselves... all those I know always fear that they aren't as good as others, or that their songs aren't good enough. The truth is, that others do not judge you the way you judge yourself. No matter how good you are.... or how bad.... there will be people who like what you do. There will also be people who don't like what you do. And there will be another group who doesn't pay any attention. Write, and keep writing... your songs can only get better as you practice it. Those who enjoy your work will just enjoy it more as it gets better and some who didn't like it at first may come around and start appreciating it more.

BlindRabbit does make a good point though about one thing .. those people who pay soppy untruthful compliments. You have to kind of figure out who you can listen to and who you can't. People who just pile on compliments when they don't mean them are annoying.. they might have good intentions but it is better to say nothing at all than to falsely compliment. I think that hurts a persons confidence more than just saying you don't like their work!