Hello lads,

It is time I called upon your infinite wisdom.

I'm torn between 2 amps - the ENGL Ironball and the EVH III 50 watter.

I basically have 4 sounds I want:

Good bass response and brighter voiced cleans (can compromise here)

Slightly driven Hendrixy/SRV over drive (I don't care about authentic power tube distortion, just a close sound)

Crunchy, mid-driven dirt for punk

Tight and mid heavy 'djent' gain for tech music. So far the only amps I've seen that get the tone I want for this are the 5150 and the Ironball.

They're both around the same price range here (Ironball $1500, EVH $1300 before haggling) so really it's a matter of features and sound.

I am a bedroom player unfortunately and I don't think gigging will appear much in the future. I assume these amps will rarely be pushed above 3 but I don't think this will matter as long as I can get the tones I want at lower levels.

I will also be recording too. This is where the Ironball's powersoak comes up trumps vs EVH requiring a dummy load for recording (assuming you can't get decent tones at lower levels)

What are your opinions ?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
The ironball sounds to me like a natural sounding ENGL, warmer than the others and stuff.
I've never been able to get a convincing djent tone from the ironball, though I found the other stuff more natural and dynamic sounding.
I'd say choose the EVH if you're going for higher gain stuff, or the ENGL if you'll be playing more clean-ish or crunch-ish stuff.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
So you own the Ironball? How does it fail in the djent tone?

Also is it fizzy at lower levels? The EVHIII has quite a good master volume but I've got no chance to play the Ironball in my state (there's no ENGL dealer here)
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
i cant comment on the ironball, but i would definitely own the EVH 50 watter. i really like that amp.

...so probably doesnt help in your decision. just thought i would say.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I own the Ironball, and I play mostly Thrash, Black, Death Metal on it. It has great cleans and is able to do blues also. There's a lot of gain on this amp, also the gain boost is a nice addition. You don't even need a boost pedal unless you want to use your favorite one or something. Couldn't be more happier with the purchase.

Quote by N_J_B_B
Also is it fizzy at lower levels?

No, it sounds awesome at low levels and loud levels...
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Last edited by Blackfire. at Jan 14, 2014,
I'd go EVH for versatility and headroom
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Apparently the Ironball sounds like a Fireball, if that's the case I'd jump on it. Bought my Engl a few months ago, could NOT be happier with it, the clean channel is better than the 5150's in my opinion too.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
^ I kinda didn't get the same impression.
The ironball sounded warmer and juicier, to me at least.
Quote by N_J_B_B
So you own the Ironball? How does it fail in the djent tone?

Also is it fizzy at lower levels? The EVHIII has quite a good master volume but I've got no chance to play the Ironball in my state (there's no ENGL dealer here)
Nope, I've tried it for something like 20 minutes in a shop with a peavey 4x12, and it sounded pretty ****in' good ya know.
It sounded like a clean/mid-gain amp should sound.
Yeah, pretty ****in' good.

It can do high gain stuff indeed, but it's good for natural sounding stuff.
My idea of a djent sound is a mid-massive and high-heavy tight sound, and I wasn't able to get that with the ironball.
To me, the EQ was the main issue, with the mids raised that weren't the right frequency, and the important bass stuff were cut before giving the tight feeling.

I'd say get the ironball unless you prefer a bit less of a natural sound in favor of a tiny bit of versatility.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.