Let me preface this by admitting that I've never really been all that concerned with speakers. Since I've always had to be budget minded, my line of thought has always been "if I can make it sound good, I'll use it". For instance, I'm not even positive what speakers my current 4x12 has. It's a older Fender 4x12 and my bassist tells me it was loaded with speakers from a Marshall '60a some time ago. It sounds good with my rig, so once again, good enough.

I've currently been looking to get a 112 or 212 for a few different reasons. Once again, being conscience of budget, I'd most likely have to acquire one through trade (or at least partial trade). After months of searching, I'd all but given up. But then, I made a fantastic discovery!

I've owned a Legend Rock N Roll 50 112 combo for a few years now. It was a Christmas gift from an old friend who was downsizing his gear collection. I actually used the Legend for about two years as my main amp, but always through a 412. The stock Celestion speaker never really did it for me when used with the Legend in combo form. I'd been using the Legend as a 112 cab for my Orange Micro Terror at home, which made a nice little practice rig, and the Orange sounded better with the stock Celestion speaker than the Legend itself. Still, not quite what I was looking for, even though I did a small club gig last month using the MT with the Legend as a cab, and the results were pretty good.

I recently had the idea to swap the speaker in the Legend, probably for a V30, and just use that as my 112. Why I didn't think of this months ago, I really couldn't tell you. I guess it simply never crossed my mind as an option. Fortunately, I had my gigging amp, a Jet City JCA20H, at my house over the weekend. Normally, it stays at my band's rehearsal studio. I had some free time on my hands, so I went ahead and hooked the JC up to the Legend just out of curiosity to see if perhaps the JC would sound good with the stock Celestion. I went into this experiment with fairly low expectations.

Almost immediately, I was shocked. The JC used with this Celestion sounded great! Tight, controlled low end. Great midrange, with some low-mid punch, and a great, smooth high end that never got shrill. And the articulation was just perfect. I quickly took a look at the speaker to see just exactly what Celestion I had on my hands.

It's a Rola Celestion G12-80, a vintage Classic Lead 80. It's also now probably my favorite speaker. I've played through V30's, Greenback, H30s, and a number of other speakers, and none of them have sounded this good to my ears, at least in a 112 configuration. This is not only the solution to my 112 search, but also probably the speaker I'll be using to do the bulk of my recording.

So, the moral of the story is you just might find a goldmine right where you never expected it. I certainly did!
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Last edited by sjones at Jan 13, 2014,
Nice

I thought the CL80 sounded pretty good on its own, bigger than you'd expect for a 1x12.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks guys! And yes, Dave, I totally agree that the CL80 sounds bigger than it really is as a 112. Seems these speakers work very well in 1 or 212 configuration because of this.

Further research tells me the Warehouse British Lead 80 is a pretty nice CL80 copy, though maybe a bit darker. I'm thinking down the road I may try to find a nicely built 212 and drop a couple of those in it.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Never tried that model, but warehouse makes good stuff. I was very pleased with the Vet 30's I had for a while. They're doing Celestion better than Celestion is nowadays.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by sjones
Thanks guys! And yes, Dave, I totally agree that the CL80 sounds bigger than it really is as a 112. Seems these speakers work very well in 1 or 212 configuration because of this.

Further research tells me the Warehouse British Lead 80 is a pretty nice CL80 copy, though maybe a bit darker. I'm thinking down the road I may try to find a nicely built 212 and drop a couple of those in it.

I dunno about the warehouse version, but I like the cl80 combined with a v30. that's a nice, modern-sounding/chunky combo.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?