Is there any alternative to a combo amp? My problem right now is, I have a big Line 6 Spider Jam combo amp, which I have to drag to band practice once a week and which features I barely use. Since I only use a heavy distortion sound or clean, no crunch or twang sounds etc. , I thought i'd sell the amp and just buy a distortion pedal and just stick it between the guitar and monitors that are available in the practice room, but my issue is, how can I play guitar at home? My computer sucks a lot and i can't play my guitar through that, so is my only option to buy a cabinet and somehow stick my pedal + guitar through that?

Thanks in advance
I'd recomend maybe using some sort of multi effect unit with amp/cabinet modelling? That way you can play through headphones, or go straight in to a speaker/PA for playing live and jamming. I've done that at plenty of gigs and seems to sound fine. Also gives you lots ff amps and effects to play around with, much like the Line 6 (but arguably better models)

Just running a distortion pedal in to some monitor speakers probably won't sounds great!

Maybe check out the Line 6 POD/POD HD?
Running a distortion pedal into the PA is likely going to sound like utter dogshit.

I think your best option is to look into a decent multi-effects/modeller, such as the Boss-GT10, the Line 6 POD HD, or one of the other pedalboard modeller options. Any of those are going to sound better running direct into a PA, and all of them probably have a setting onboard to accommodate such uses.

Plus, all you'll need out of an amp is a good clean channel (and preferably an FX loop) to run your modeller into. And, on top of that, you'll be able to use headphones to practice with a modeller as well.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Im very new to this kind of stuff. So just to be clear, instead of the amp I could buy the POD, stick my guitar into that and from the POD into a speaker?

How do such modellers sound compared to real amps?
Quote by Metander
Im very new to this kind of stuff. So just to be clear, instead of the amp I could buy the POD, stick my guitar into that and from the POD into a speaker?

How do such modellers sound compared to real amps?

Depends on your budget. If you can get close to top of the line stuff, it's fairly close. If you stay on the lower end, not that close.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I doubt it'll be any further than your Spider, which are generally the lower-end of the modelling spectrum! Line 6 Pods are pretty decent from what i've heard.

Hell, i've played gigs with a Digitech RP80 in to the PA, and they are cheap cheap modellers, but it sounded pretty good actually! (that together with a few choice stomp boxes)

If you tell us your budget, location, favourite bands/sounds then we can recommend what is best for you! And you can sell the Spider to help fund it.
ZT Lunchbox? 200W, should be loud enough.

ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Well, in theory I have about 450 EUR budget if I sell my amp. I just use the red metal channel all the time and sometimes normal clean, rarely reverb and practically no other effects. So i thought maybe i could simplify my rig and just get a distortion stomp box and some kind of speaker for home use. And live I thought I could just use the stomp box through a clean amp/PA.
What sort of bands are you into? 450 Euros is a good budget. Red channel suggests you like heavier bands, but I could be wrong!
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Im into Metallica, Rammstein, Black Sabbath, Black Label Society, Ozzy that kind of heavy stuff.
Alright, I'll do some research and get back to you.

Some of the guys will be able to help out though! They know a lot more thanme.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100