Hey Guys!

After noticing many requests for guitar suggestions, I vote that the experienced users here start a thread which users can refer to when contemplating a purchase of a beginner or intermediate guitar.

The thread can have sections where users post the 'best' guitars for each price range, genre and other small terms of classification (eg No. of strings and even stuff like looks and prestige). I leave the organization of the thread to you, experts.

Besides being very useful, I think this will be good reading material for all the users.

I didn't try to start this thread myself, because, being a beginner here, It would be very pretentious on my part

I do hope this is considered.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No, I judge people based on how similar they are to me.
The greater the similarity, the more of a total ****ing **** they are.

Metal is like an apple. Everything is good except for the core
I like this idea for a thread, I'm not really a regular as much as I was. So this would be handy in keeping us that aren't always around up to date onwhat's out there now.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Roc8995

No actually, not that. It was very useful to me though.

I mean a thread where actual models and brands are mentioned.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

We're currently working on a plan to reduce the number of stickies. When we're done it should look like GG&A which has only two (perhaps soon to be one, still in discussion.) Threads like this have contributed to "sticky inflation" in the past. Not to say it's a bad idea, but it's one reason we probably will not go this route.

Discussing brands in a sticky would be difficult because it creates a sense of endorsement. I think helping with the basics is good, but once you're looking for a particular model you should make your own thread. I don't know that we want to promote a list of brands and models that are "UG-Approved." That gets complicated and contentious and it's the whole reason we are a discussion forum. Stickies are the anti-discussion. They should catch basic questions but probably should not displace actual personalized advice.
Quote by Roc8995
We're currently working on a plan to reduce the number of stickies. When we're done it should look like GG&A which has only two (perhaps soon to be one, still in discussion.) Threads like this have contributed to "sticky inflation" in the past. Not to say it's a bad idea, but it's one reason we probably will not go this route.

Discussing brands in a sticky would be difficult because it creates a sense of endorsement. I think helping with the basics is good, but once you're looking for a particular model you should make your own thread. I don't know that we want to promote a list of brands and models that are "UG-Approved." That gets complicated and contentious and it's the whole reason we are a discussion forum. Stickies are the anti-discussion. They should catch basic questions but probably should not displace actual personalized advice.

Agreed. My idea would just decrease the amount of actual good communication that happens. Thanks for the consideration.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Always happy to hear ideas!

If there is interest we may host a temporary "forum suggestions" thread to capture more user input like this.
yeah I'm with colin. it's a fine idea and you're entitled to your opinion (and truth be told if I could be bothered doing the stickies again I'd probably do them completely differently to how I did them several years ago so it's not like I think the current system is perfect or anywhere close, far from it), but as colin says it's a fine line between preventing the same basic/one-size-fits-all questions being asked over and over again where the person making the thread would probably prefer to be able to just read the answer in a sticky, and actually stifling debate and new threads, which are detrimental to the forum. the other thing is, a lot of questions require a more personalised answer, and a forum is generally better for that than a sticky.

also making stickies is a ton of (mostly thankless) work. take it from me. And yes before I made them people warned me the exact same thing and I didn't listen to them either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?