Page 1 of 2
So, my new-ish cool polyester jacket and a carpet got some puke on them last Friday night and I sorta realized that only in the following afternoon, so obviously it had already dried.

I managed to get the visible stains off the jacket with cold water and mild hand soap (the carpet has a few dark spots though), but had no luck getting rid of the smell yet. You can sorta smell it if you get your nose close to it. Also, there's a pretty bad smell on a removable fake fur part of the jacket... I washed that too but didn't really help.

Now the thing is, I am unsure whether putting the jacket in a washing machine is such a hot idea - especially since you can't get rid of the tumble drying option on the machine and the manufacturer of the jacket does not recommend tumble drying.

I've been reading that just scrubbing some baking soda on there could work.

Or will the smell fade if I just took the jacket outside for a day or two?

Experiences?
one time i got puke on my suit. took it to the dry cleaner's and they cleaned it pretty well, but only managed to take some of the smell away. so i bought some Febreze (or something similar) and left the suit near an open window for a few days, spraying the air around the suit whenever i remembered to.

kinda worked, because i'm pretty sure my parents still don't know that i puked on myself at that company event. i've since worn that suit to weddings and stuff.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
puke on it. fight fire with puke.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
Spray it with Lynx Africa.

no no no he already has puke on it
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
one time i got puke on my suit. took it to the dry cleaner's and they cleaned it pretty well, but only managed to take some of the smell away. so i bought some Febreze (or something similar) and left the suit near an open window for a few days, spraying the air around the suit whenever i remembered to.

kinda worked, because i'm pretty sure my parents still don't know that i puked on myself at that company event. i've since worn that suit to weddings and stuff.

Ahh. Well I can't afford a pro cleaning service but yeah they sell something similar to that thing over here too.

But in the meantime, I went and bought me some baking soda so I'll try dat next.
Now my jacket looks like a mob boss snorted coke off it. Spent half a can of baking soda
How about leaving it immersed in soap water overnight, did you try? Eventually, the smell has to fade, since there can not be infinite smelly substance to evaporate, how much time do you have to spare?
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Take it to the dry cleaner's and explain what happened. They've seen, and smelt it all. Far worse than your puke I am sure.
Quote by Guodlca
How about leaving it immersed in soap water overnight, did you try? Eventually, the smell has to fade, since there can not be infinite smelly substance to evaporate, how much time do you have to spare?

Nope I didn't. Could work. It has to be dry in 12 hours though :/ I did walk around the town in it today but avoided passing near people. That will work temporarily.

I'll report on the baking soda results.

Quote by badfish_lewis
Take it to the dry cleaner's and explain what happened. They've seen, and smelt it all. Far worse than your puke I am sure.

It's not about the shame but the cost of doing that
If you have a washing machine that automatically tumble dries it, why not take it to the laundrette? Air it out by hanging it on a line or next to the window. If that fails, maybe go and get it dry cleaned?
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
well, you let it dry, so you kinda ****ed up.

this thread reminds of the time I puked on dex. got it all on my carpet and some in my amp and a few splatters on my guitar case. had to clean it up with bleach wipes while kinda tripping. twas some shit, but it didnt dry or anything, I cleaned it up immediately so there was no smell.
banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at Jan 13, 2014,
Your jacket has fake fur on it, it should be burned for that alone...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

Now now, it's classy as sh1t

Quote by Jyrgen
Nope I didn't. Could work. It has to be dry in 12 hours though :/ I did walk around the town in it today but avoided passing near people. That will work temporarily.
Are you sure they weren't the ones avoiding you?
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Quote by Arby911

Parkas are sick mate.

No pun intended.
Last edited by slayer_rule_\m/ at Jan 13, 2014,
Quote by Guodlca
Are you sure they weren't the ones avoiding you?

That's a matter of faith my friend
Quote by Jyrgen
Now now, it's classy as sh1t

You a nigga? stop bein a nigga.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Milk. Like someone already said - puke is acidic. Soak the puked on part of the jacket in milk for 24 hours, wash the coat and then leave it to dry outside. This will get rid of the smell.
My Current Gear
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Cherry Burst) || Gibson Les Paul Junior (Vintage Sunburst)
Marshall 1987X and 1960AX || Weber Mass 100
Fulltone OCD pedal || Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer || Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker || Boss AC2
Acetic acid (vinegar) should help. If that doesn't work mix the acetic acid with some hydrogen peroxide 10:1 parts by volume and let it soak in for an hour of so, then steam clean it up.

As a last resort you can try ammonia, but test the rug first to see if it does anything to the fabric.
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
There is such a thing as leather cleaner, it's not that expensive. Seriously, it's a substance designed to keep leather clean without ****ing it up. LEATHER CLEANER. Have you not heard of this?
Bring it to the dry cleaners.

Make them puke on it.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by snipelfritz
Pick up smoking.

and a hooker
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Pick up a smoking hooker.

I puked on my computer 2 months ago and on my floor 3 weeks ago. I got rid of the smell by smoking cigarettes indoors and just waiting. It kinda worked.
If I were you I would listen to some of the guys who know what they are talking about.
But my weird idea would be to throw beer on it, and let that smell get soaked in and then wash it.
I have no arguments for it but it sounds so weird it might weird.

Plus, it's probably how the puke got there in the first place. Take the puke back to its roots...
Quote by Gantz92
I puked on my computer 2 months ago and on my floor 3 weeks ago. I got rid of the smell by smoking cigarettes indoors and just waiting. It kinda worked.

what is this i dont even

Quote by Jyrgen
cool polyester jacket

removable fake fur part of the jacket

yeah, sounds like a sweet jacket maybe vomiting on it was for the best....
Washing and drying are two completely different activities. You can wash the jacket on cold and then hang it to dry. Or get a dry cleaning bag and do home dry cleaning, they sell stuff for it at like Walgreens or whatever you have in the arctic wastes. Or you could use laundry detergent and wash it by hand like people...still do. Pour vinegar on it, put a bird on it, whatever.
Page 1 of 2