To be quite honest, I don't know a thing about compatibility and wiring when it comes to guitar equipment. I just got a Carvin Legacy 3 in the mail today and now I am looking for a cheap cab to go with it. This was made for and pretty much only for it's matching cab, but it's a bit pricey for me. I bought it for it's supreme tone, wattage selection and master volume (for bedroom volumes.) I heard that putting a 15 watt amp on top of a 120 watt cabinet will either blow the speaker, pop the tubes, something that damages something expensive in the amp or cabinet. I guess the legacy cab has something about it that allows that? Anyway, it will be used as a half stack, wanting 8 ohms or more, and I am hoping to spend around $200 or less (used.) The speakers probably will be upgraded to v30s eventually if they don't come stock with them. I might be willing to take a 2x12. Thanks in advance.
Quote by VanhalenVai
This was made for and pretty much only for it's matching cab, but it's a bit pricey for me.

How so?

I don't know anyone who owns a Carvin amp and actually plays it through a Carvin cab

Quote by VanhalenVai
I heard that putting a 15 watt amp on top of a 120 watt cabinet will either blow the speaker, pop the tubes, something that damages something expensive in the amp or cabinet.

Nope.

Whoever told you that is an idiot (no offense ).

Quote by VanhalenVai
Anyway, it will be used as a half stack, wanting 8 ohms or more, and I am hoping to spend around $200 or less (used.) The speakers probably will be upgraded to v30s eventually if they don't come stock with them. I might be willing to take a 2x12. Thanks in advance.

Are you at all apposed to going used?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
+1 to what Matrixclaw said

Look for a used Avatar 4x12 they run $300 with V30's look here www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear
You can find some Marshall 1960 4x12's with the G12t75's for $250 in rough shape but fully functional
If you want a Carvin cab they are hella cheap on that site also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks Rob for the suggestions I'll check those out, and Matrix for the correction, I was hoping (and thinking) that it wasn't true.
Other good cabs with V30's that are cheap : Marshall MF280, Line 6 Spider Valve 4x12

If you want a cab that is <$200 the old Line 6 Flextone and Vetta cabs are nice and normally $175 or less stay away from the spider 4x12's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 13, 2014,
Anybody else have input on the flextones? There isn't much info on the internet but what I find looks pretty good. I spot one on GC for 150. Thanks Rob!
The Flextone cabs are solid for sure. they are all plywood construction and the same size as the Marshall 1960 cabs. Their speakers are decent, but are more of a flat response type (for the modeling) of Celestion. It is a cab that is worth putting better speakers in later if you want.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate