Poll: Do you easily consider selling a guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you easily consider selling a guitar?
No way, I'm really attached to my guitars!
18 26%
Preferably not, only when I need to or feel like it's better.
29 41%
I don't mind, they come and go.
23 33%
Voters: 70.
Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I would really like to hear your stories: Have you ever considered selling one of your guitars and why? Are you a guitarist who is really attached to his guitars or is your collection changing continuously? Have you ever regret that you sold a guitar? Why did you sell it? etc. etc.

My story:

Currently I'm considering my options about my Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe (natural finish). I bought it because I was looking for a guitar to go with my PRS SE EG because I played more. I wasn't the best player back then (I'm still not the best, but I practice my ass off) and focussed mainly on the sound, which I liked then. I didn't pay much attention to the neck, playability and stuff like that, I wasn't really able to judge it well I think. Since a while I'm playing 2-3 or sometimes 4 hours a day and as my skill level improves I start to notice stuff I don't like about this guitar. The neck is pretty thick, it doesn't stay as well in tune as my PRS does, the space between the high E string and the end of fretboard is really small (causes troubles sometimes) and I don't like the bridge that much.

I have the guitar slightly less than a year and made massive improvements in the last year as a player. I see it as a prove of my improved skill level that I'm better able to judge a guitar in total. I played om different guitars (from friends) and on some of them I played much easier because it fit my better. Sometimes I'm really happy with my guitar and produce some great tones but sometimes I'm getting frustrated about the point I sum up earlier. Some people regret that they sold a guitar and I'm thinking twice before it will happen to me... Thoughts?
i sell a few here and there, often i will buy one and clean it up then play it for a while and sell it off to fund the purchase of a different one. I am very good at refurbishing them and trouble shooting electronics so it is fun for me to bring old beat up guitars back to life. There are a few that are tried and true and i hope are with me until i die but you never know. Possessions are fleeting.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by zenbone
i sell a few here and there, often i will buy one and clean it up then play it for a while and sell it off to fund the purchase of a different one. I am very good at refurbishing them and trouble shooting electronics so it is fun for me to bring old beat up guitars back to life. There are a few that are tried and true and i hope are with me until i die but you never know. Possessions are fleeting.

Yeah seems fun to pump new life in guitars! The different tone you talk about, are these additions to your base set up? I mean are the guitars you'll hope to have with you your base guitars/tones and you like to chance tone around your base set up?
Constantly wheelin' and dealin'. I hold on to amps much longer, generally. My pedalboard is always evolving, shrinking and growing.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Don't you get emotionally attached to some guitars? And any thoughts on the case in my OP?
Quote by GuitarL91
Don't you get emotionally attached to some guitars? And any thoughts on the case in my OP?

The same way I get emotionally attached to women. Strongly to one for a period of time, then it fades; then strongly to another for a while and it fades. That also means that there are the 'ones-that-got-away.' I'm sure I'll settle down one of these days when I get "the one."

Specifically, I never should have traded my CIJ Paisley ST-57. I haven't been able to find one outside of eBay ever since.

Currently I'm having a quite passionate relationship with my Reverend Jetstream HB.
Last edited by JustRooster at Jan 13, 2014,
guitars are tools and some last longer than others. as you develop as a player you may find your gear needs change so out with the old and in with the new happens. the longest I've kept any guitar was about 12 years (Charvel Model 2 that had been modded) otherwise 5 years tops. at this point I may hang on to at least a couple of my guitars longer though. of course that's the other thing you may find yourself with a bunch of guitars which might make it easier to let go of one or two. you couldn't pay me to take back my first electric it was such a piece of shit. so far my early 80s US made BC Rich Mockingbird is the only one that I regret not keeping (but now I have an Eagle)

Rooster guessing your old lady doesn't read this forum lol.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Jan 13, 2014,
I usually buy new and my friends buy the hand-me-downs, has worked for a two guitars, a few amps and pedals. I did trade in a cheapo Epiphone bass at a Sam Ash but they gave me a really honest deal, I was stunned. Trade in bonus discount was nice too.
I really wanna hang onto my gear from now on though.
Gear:
Ibanez GSA60 Guitar through Zoom G1Xon to Vox VT40+
Ibanez SR300 Bass to Acoustic B100
Quote by monwobobbo
guitars are tools and some last longer than others. as you develop as a player you may find your gear needs change so out with the old and in with the new happens. the longest I've kept any guitar was about 12 years (Charvel Model 2 that had been modded) otherwise 5 years tops. at this point I may hang on to at least a couple of my guitars longer though. of course that's the other thing you may find yourself with a bunch of guitars which might make it easier to let go of one or two. you couldn't pay me to take back my first electric it was such a piece of shit. so far my early 80s US made BC Rich Mockingbird is the only one that I regret not keeping (but now I have an Eagle)

Rooster guessing your old lady doesn't read this forum lol.

She doesn't, but I'm keeping this one around. I got her the same time as I got this Reverend. Maybe I'll have to keep both for good luck!
I have not sold one yet, but it is something I have considered the past few years...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I rarely sell any of my guitars, hence why I have 30ish.

USually when I do choose to sell, it's a guitar I don't bond what well with, or just never got along with, so far the only guitars I have ever sold have been

First Act ME-636
First Act ME-537
J.Reynolds Left-Handed Strat
1986 Kramer Focus 3000 (white)
2008 Fender Jaguar Special HH

I find it pretty hard to split with my gear, and I have quite a few that I would never sell no matter what.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Considered? I've sold quite a few.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I accumulate. A friend of mine flips. In all, he's probably spent about the same amount of money that I have over the years, given that he normally loses a bit on each "deal," and he usually needs to have setup work and mods done on them as they pass through his hands.

What's interesting is that he's bought the same kind of guitar several times and even re-bought the same guitar at least once.

At some point I know I'll sell some of my guitars; I'm sneaking up on doing that now. There's not a big emotional trauma in that, but I have been reluctant to do so.
As above - I've highlighted one that I think I should sell, then I play it, then I decide to keep it.
Unsurprisingly, the number of guitars I have is slowly increasing
i have owned over 50 or 60 electrics, five vintage classical guitars and a few acoustics. went down to a dozen or so electrics, i am around 20 now, i am satisfied with my guitars and i have all i really need.

amps are my pleasure
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by dannyalcatraz
I have not sold one yet, but it is something I have considered the past few years...

Doesn't last long as an idea though does it?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Doesn't last long as an idea though does it?

Yes & no.

There are actually a few that are in the greatest jeopardy. They've been on my short list for 3 years now.

I have a Yamaha classical that I rarely play. When I go acoustic, 99.9% of the time, I'm aching for a steel-string...even when I play classical or neoclassical pieces.

I own a Washburn acoustic electric fretless bass. It survives because...well...it's my only bass, and in many ways, it is most similar to my cello. Which I "donated" to my church's music ministry in late 2013.

And then there is my Dean Special Select EVO. It is probably my cheapest electric, and one of the first 2 electrics I bought (simultaneously). My other guitars sound better because they have better pickups. But the damned thing feels good in the hands, holds onto its tuning with a viselike grip, and is a sexy little LP. So it will probably get some new pickups...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I actually have never sold anything before, but I'm thinking of selling my prs se. I just don't enjoy playing it any more. Meanwhile, there is a certain hollowbody tele in the shop that I've been eyeing as a replacement
Most of the guitars I owned originally, where dug up in weird places, and then a lot of money and effort was put into them, so there is that attachment. Becomes a "personal collectors item" more than an instrument for me.

So I could never get rid of those, however the standard guitars bought in shops, I could sell them with no issue what so ever.
im attached to my first guitars ( first electric/first acoustic/ first classical)

i have no problem with selling the other ones
Nope. I've given one or two out on loan to friends, mainly to free up some space.
"Never sell guitars, only buy 'em" is what someone on this forum wrote once, and I agree.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
I've had to sell a few for circumstances beyond my control.

Feels bad, man.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Mephaphil
**** me, I sell guitars all the time.

Same here. I didn't realize we were such a minority! Gear flipping is half-way part of the hobby for me.
Quote by JustRooster
Same here. I didn't realize we were such a minority! Gear flipping is half-way part of the hobby for me.

think it takes a while for a lot of players to start looking at the big picture. you start out wanting to play just like ----- and get that kinda guitar. later you realize there is more to guitar playing and start to develop more which leads to different gear. at some point you say "yeah I never play that one" and let it go. once you get past the first time it gets easier. I'm always looking for the guitar, amp etc that gives me that little something extra to take my playing where I want to go. not having tons of money comes into play as well. at this point I have a pretty good idea of what I want and how to get it, doesn't stop me from fine tuning. seems like a lot of guys want that one and done thing but that takes out the fun of the search and prevents you from going down paths you might not have originally considered.
I once owned quite a few guitars. Then I sold almost all of them to afford my Carvin CT7.

Best choice I ever made.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
I think , except for my first guitar, I never owned a guitar longer then 1.5 years ...
Like now for example , I just bought a cheap telecaster for 200 euro , but it plays better ( for me ) than my Fender USA standard tele , ... I'm already thinking of selling the USA and buy another back up guitar ...
Hell, in 6 months I even might be tele-less
I've only sold one guitar so far, and I regretted it. I guess if I had a huge collection I'd be more willing to part with one.
I've kept the important ones. Things like my first or the one my friends got my for my birthday. Anything else, if I find I don't really end up liking I end up trading away.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
I'm in real dubio right now. I just played my tele and 2 other guitars. On the 2 other guitars I played more relax compared to my Tele. Because of the thick neck I'm using too much fore on some places of the neck. On the two other guitars I played smoother and more relaxed. On the other hand, I do love my tele....
And the temptation is getting stronger- I may trade that classical as part of a deal to get a 12-string acoustic.

I typically buy guitars for a reason but have sold a few I over the years. I'll never sell my PRS, but I have sold Gibson, Fender, dean, Ibanez guitars. I'm getting rid of a dean, Epi and Ibanez JS so I can get a new(used) SG and G&L
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 16, 2014,
i've sold every guitar i've ever had except three.

can't make any promises on those.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Yeah. Sold my first ever guitar (Yamaha Pacifica 112) to buy another. No love lost there as the Yamaha didn't really hold any sentimental value for me. Its replacement is a much better guitar - I guess I knew more about what I was looking for. I'd be quite bummed if anything happened to it though, least of all because it would be hard to find another (obscure Korean brand ftw).
Quote by gregs1020
i've sold every guitar i've ever had except three.

can't make any promises on those.
I've only ever had 3!
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I don't even have enough guitars to start selling them, lol! Like, if I sell the Agile, now I don't have a strat, sell the ovation and now I don't have an acoustic. So, as soon as I get a diffferent strat, this Agile will be on the market.

The Ovation has such a different sound I think ill always keep it arounnd.

I need a superstrat. I need a Rocket Roll. I neeed lots of more stuff before I am overencumbered and start selling.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I don't even have enough guitars to start selling them, lol! Like, if I sell the Agile, now I don't have a strat, sell the ovation and now I don't have an acoustic. So, as soon as I get a diffferent strat, this Agile will be on the market.

The Ovation has such a different sound I think ill always keep it arounnd.

I need a superstrat. I need a Rocket Roll. I neeed lots of more stuff before I am overencumbered and start selling.

you don't need to be over encumbered to sell just want something else more than what you have. I only let go of a guitar to replace it with something I think I'd like more.
Some of my guitars I'll definitely never sell but I wouldn't hold on to all of them for no reason.
I have sold one, a Mexican Fender Standard Telecaster. Simply because it just never got used and I'd rather it get used for what it was made for.
I'm thinking of selling an Epiphone LP I have now for exactly the same reason.
404: Sig not found.
Quote by monwobobbo
think it takes a while for a lot of players to start looking at the big picture. you start out wanting to play just like ----- and get that kinda guitar. later you realize there is more to guitar playing and start to develop more which leads to different gear. at some point you say "yeah I never play that one" and let it go. once you get past the first time it gets easier. I'm always looking for the guitar, amp etc that gives me that little something extra to take my playing where I want to go. not having tons of money comes into play as well. at this point I have a pretty good idea of what I want and how to get it, doesn't stop me from fine tuning. seems like a lot of guys want that one and done thing but that takes out the fun of the search and prevents you from going down paths you might not have originally considered.

You're probably right. I'm still young enough (23) that I have an idea as to my preference, but looking for something in that preference that gets me another sound I'm trying to get.

I've starting to settle down. Things on my pedalboard are becoming more permanent, I'm holding on to guitars longer, and if I get rid of them it's for less specialized stuff.

That said, I'm trading my Reverend for a G&L Legacy this morning, haha. Once a Strat-man, always.
Page 1 of 2