SO. ive got about 700 us id like to spend on an electric. any suggestions. id like a bigger brand. i play indy and hard rock and own a fender squier strat.
G&L ASAT Bluesboy, G&L ASAT Special, Reverent Jetstream, Warhawk, Double Agent, or Six-Gun. Fender Classic Player Jazzmaster, Fender Cabronita Telecaster. I'd let you buy my Roostercaster for $700
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
So many options. If you want a "bigger brand," you should probably just try some used USA Fender guitars. I'm pretty sure a Fender can get into hard rock tones, although you may want to find one with humbuckers.

If you don't care about brand, go with Reverend or G&L.
Danny and I think those are definitely brands to care about! But I know what you mean. Beginners and non musicians know that headstock logo. It can be something worth while to look at if you're in a band trying to seem legit.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
B.C Rich Warlock, it's what all the *Indie and Hard Rock bands use these days.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster, got the humbucker for the hard rock, got the Jazzmaster pickup in the neck for Indie.....and I think 1meg ohm pots to allow the humbucker to sparkle when needed IIRC correctly.
My Current Mains
- 1996 Fender Jag-Stang with EMG Pickups
- 1998 Fender Jaguar with Cool Rails
- 1982 Hondo Paul Dean II (DiMarzio Super II X2)
- 2010 "Fender" Jazzmaster (Home built)
- 2013 Squier VM Bass VI (stock)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 14, 2014,
just the rooster said some really great options.

have you considered hollow body? there are some decent models from ibanez, etc that can be had in the 500-600 range that are really solid mid range hollow bodies.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
If you're still using that Fender Sidekick amp you might want to look at replacing that first - it depends on your priorities though.

Do you just want a nicer guitar or do you actually want to sound better? Also is their anything you particularly like or don't like about your Strat...for all I know you may hate the thing and want something completely different.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If it were me, I'd go for a used Les Paul Special with P90's.
Obviously you have a Telecaster which can do everything. Something like a '72 custom.
A Strat with a Humbucker, maybe.
Maybe, even a Gretsch Electromatic. I think that could give your band a distinct sound. Gretsch style pickups do hard rock very well but also have very good cleans.