Hello,
I know these amps are totally different, but I would like to know which one is better for blues, rock and a little bit of jazz, is it VOX AC30VR or Fender Frontman 212R? I will be using it with my Fender telecaster JA90 or American Traditional Stratocaster. This will be my 2nd guitar amp, as I already have a Marshall MG100DFX.

I want to purchase one of these amps and put it in my studio for jamming with friends or band practice, sometimes i wanna take it into gigs.

Your opinions will be aprreciated,
Thanks
Neither. Sell that pos MG and use the extra money to buy something good.

If for some reason that is all you have to choose from then the AC30VR, no contest.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm a Fender man and suggest the Vox. And get rid of the MG.
thanks for the responses.
hahaha yea i have to get rid of my Marshall MG but nobody wanted to buy it more than $200 so i guess i will just keep it in the studio for the other guitar player.

is Fender Champion 100 / frontman 212 better than Marshall MG100DFX though?
Quote by dhenia182
thanks for the responses.
hahaha yea i have to get rid of my Marshall MG but nobody wanted to buy it more than $200 so i guess i will just keep it in the studio for the other guitar player.

is Fender Champion 100 / frontman 212 better than Marshall MG100DFX though?

ANY choice that involves either an MG or a Line 6 Spider, the other choice is the better one.
Unless you are talking about firewood.
Im going to buy VOX AC30VR, wish me luck! I hope the clean channel is better than fender frontman 212R.
The Vox looks nice.

I'd love it if Mesa made a hybrid amp that looked exactly like a triple rectifier from the outside
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist
The Vox looks nice.

I'd love it if Mesa made a hybrid amp that looked exactly like a triple rectifier from the outside
Why?

Maybe if you sell the MG and add that money in you could afford a used Jet City? Something like a JCA50 combo?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
out of the options, vox. i really dont like the frontman series. at all.

but honestly, you are continually making lateral moves, perhaps even downgrades. why not sell all of those like cath said and get an actual quality amp? one worth of a "studio"
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Cathbard
Why?
So I could look the part and not get looked down on by amp snobs, while not having to spend so much.
ZEN JUDDHISM
hybrid 6.0
Quote by dhenia182
Im going to buy VOX AC30VR, wish me luck! I hope the clean channel is better than fender frontman 212R.

All the channels are better than anything the Frontman or MG are capable of
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by The Judist
So I could look the part and not get looked down on by amp snobs, while not having to spend so much.
just Words fail me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by The Judist

I feel like if they really were amp snobs, they'd be able to tell the difference.
Quote by Cathbard
just Words fail me.
Mission accomplished

Quote by Telecaster7
I feel like if they really were amp snobs, they'd be able to tell the difference.
Yeah but they never stick around to hear, and even if they did they probably wouldn't like the music anyway, regardless of tone...!
ZEN JUDDHISM
hybrid 6.0
Quote by The Judist

WTF
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by The Judist

ummm... don't you think the amp snobs will realize the sound isn't what it should be? would rather have those guys say he sounds like shit cuz his amp sucks rather than well the amp looks good but the sound sucks this guy must be a moron.

how many guys buy Marshall MG's for this very same reason only to find that the logo has nothing to do with the sound coming from the amp
I bought Marshall MG as my first amp 12 years ago. Now Im thinking to upgrade my gear, I need two amps in my studio for the other guitarist too. I don't know if im making a good move by buying vox ac30vr or maybe I should save up more for a decent semi-pro amp. Full Tube amps are prone to be broken, right?
Quote by ikey_
out of the options, vox. i really dont like the frontman series. at all.

but honestly, you are continually making lateral moves, perhaps even downgrades. why not sell all of those like cath said and get an actual quality amp? one worth of a "studio"

please tell me an actual quality amp to play blues/rock/jazz? now I got a 1 year old baby and I don't want my husband to be like "wtf u spent much money on that shit...." hahahah
my friend suggested me to buy a used fender deluxe 112 made in USA instead of VOX AC30VR made in Vietnam. What do you guys think of that?
Last edited by dhenia182 at Jan 15, 2014,
Quote by dhenia182
my friend suggested me to buy a used fender deluxe 112 made in USA instead of VOX AC30VR made in Vietnam. What do you guys think of that?

Which Deluxe?
Hot Rod Deluxe?
Deluxe reverb?
Blues Deluxe?

Pick one :
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/fender-deluxe/cat6950282?N=500422

I'm a huge Vox fan but I would take a Deluxe Reverb over an AC30VR every time.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jan 15, 2014,
Quote by dhenia182
neither, it's an old Solid State US Fender Deluxe 112 Plus amp. He sells it $350

stick with the Vox. solid state fenders aren't all that great and not worth that much
Peavey Valveking. Upgrade the speaker and tubes when you can afford it and you'll have something actually worth owning.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp-104003397-i1145634.gc
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Even without the upgrade it's better than the Vox.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by The Judist
The Vox looks nice.

+1 hahaha
Give us a budget and location, and judging by the amps you chose your much better off used.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle
Give us a budget and location, and judging by the amps you chose your much better off used.

I live in Indonesia. and my budget is max $600. I'm selling my Epiphone SG for $350 and save up more later. Im in a low budget since having a baby daughter and still wanting to play in a band for the sake of my inner rockstar hahaha
Do you have the half stack or the combo mg? because I found an amp head for jca 20 for 49,000,000 IDR Or 400 usd. there isn't much of a selection I found in stores. Is there like an Indonesian version of craigslist that we can scour for amps. Oh here is the amp I found http://melodiamusik.com/product/jet-city-jca20h I'll look more later for you.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle
Do you have the half stack or the combo mg? because I found an amp head for jca 20 for 49,000,000 IDR Or 400 usd. there isn't much of a selection I found in stores. Is there like an Indonesian version of craigslist that we can scour for amps. Oh here is the amp I found http://melodiamusik.com/product/jet-city-jca20h I'll look more later for you.

Dude thank you so much! I have never thought of jet city before as it's not so popular here. after looking at the website, I think I'll go to the store and try it.

I don't have a cabinet, I only have MG100DFX a cheap combo solid state amp.
Last edited by dhenia182 at Jan 16, 2014,
why do u think jet city is better than vox vr? im still on vox, for its clarity
Last edited by dhenia182 at Jan 16, 2014,
Jet City was the other one I thought of mentioning. Yes, it shits all over the Vox. It's a proper tube amp. The VR does a sorta ok job of emulating a tube amp but it doesn't actually get there. The Jet City IS there, obviously.
The JCA22H is the one you want if cleans matter a lot to you. Well unless you go bigger like a JCA50 or JCA100. A JCA5012C (1x12 combo) is what you should have ideally but you'd have to raise a bit more money or find one used.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Jet City was the other one I thought of mentioning. Yes, it shits all over the Vox. It's a proper tube amp. The VR does a sorta ok job of emulating a tube amp but it doesn't actually get there. The Jet City IS there, obviously.
The JCA22H is the one you want if cleans matter a lot to you. Well unless you go bigger like a JCA50 or JCA100. A JCA5012C (1x12 combo) is what you should have ideally but you'd have to raise a bit more money or find one used.

thank you.
I just tried my friend's VOX AC30VR today, and ur right it didnt sound that good. I was using it with my friend's epiphone guitar (tom delonge signature) and i dunoo if its the guitar or the amp that didnt feel right to me. The clean channel was just ok, but when i turned up the master volume above 3 it started to distort. I'm not sure about the clean headroom. I even felt my Marshall MG100 was better than the vox.

I guess I really need to save more money and buy a decent amp for band practice in my studio. Looking forward to trying jet city