I just ordered a 2013 gibson les Paul traditional. I've read that this specific year had no weight saving holes or chambers and that it's a solid body. Is this true?
Traditionals have the weight relief holes but no chambering. Sounds just like a solid body, unlike the chambered ones which sound way different (much warmer).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Ok but one persons saying weight relief holes and your saying no weight relief which is it lol this is the issue I have when I look on google. To me solid body means absolutely no hole chambers etc. unless I'm wrong.
Quote by Joeballz
To me solid body means absolutely no hole chambers etc. unless I'm wrong.

well from 1982 until 2008 they were swiss cheesed but called them solid body guitars.

i believe it's basically the same routing as today's "traditional".

I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The Gibson website shows a picture of the body and the only holes there are the ones for the electronics so the traditional is a non weight relieved solid body guitar.
just like from 1982 until 2008.
2013 Trads are solid! No weight relief. Up until then they were traditional weight relief as Gregs mentioned (9 Swiss Cheese holes).
I think traditional weight relief and chambering in USA Gibson has been replaced with modern weight relief whch is a series of smal chambers n the body with areas of wood inbetween.

Ken
From Gibsons website on 2013 model Trads

"The New Les Paul Traditional is built on a foundation of the same traditional tonewood combination that helped to make the Les Paul Standard legendary when it first arrived six decades ago. A carved solid Grade-AA figured maple top lends bite and articulation to the sound while looking great in the process, and a solid, mahogany back without weight relief contributes superb warmth and depth."
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jan 14, 2014,
Quote by KenG
I think traditional weight relief and chambering in USA Gibson has been replaced with modern weight relief whch is a series of smal chambers n the body with areas of wood inbetween.

Correct. People were convinced that chambered Les Pauls would sound and feed back like semihollow guitars, so Gibson redesigned the chambers.
i'll believe it when i see an xray.