Hi!
I started my first band a few weeks ago but we are struggling to make music so to say.
I wonder if any of you got some tips for a new started bands to, you know get things rolling?

Cheers
How experienced are all of you, and how much theory do you all know?

If you can't get anything spontaneous, get the drummer to lay a steady beat, maybe get a bassline going, play some chords to go along, or vice versa, when you've got that going see if you can work out a simple lead or melody line, and just go from there, agree on some dynamics and just go for it really.

Normally when I'm playing with others it's a bit more spontaneous, I'll just be noodling around until either me or the other guitarist stumbles on something they like, and other people just seem to realise when you got something strong you're working on and pick it up and play along how it appeals to them.

And remember, it's always possible that one flat tire could be stopping your vehicle completely.
Writing as a group effort and can be hard at first. If the entire band is in on the writing process, maybe the drummer can lay a beat followed by either a guitar riff or a bassline. Once you get that going, maybe the vocalist can sing a melody over top (until they write lyrics). This'll get things going and may be hard.

Another method for bands is they usually have one or more members write songs outside of practice. This'll allow the writer(s) to get te lyrics, melody, chord progression, and skeletal form of the song ready without be disrupted or disrupting at practice. Once they get those pieces together, they'll showcase it to the band who will add their parts to it during practice. The writer(s) can also send it to theother members in a Guitar Pro file as well.

One situation might work better than the other. It all depends on how you and the other musicians prefer to write music. Try each method so you can see which one works best for the band. I hope you have a fun time with your newly formed band and I wish them luck!
Skip the username, call me Billy
If you have the time to sit around jamming you could try the improvisation method to come up with songs but in many bands there is one member who writes most of the material.

If that doesn't work another things a lot of new bands do is learn some covers, once you've got some learned you'll start to see what kind of music you like to play together. Learning songs can sometimes help you write your own stuff and now that you're all familar with the same genre it should make the learning easier too.
Quote by kingofscrews
Hi!
I started my first band a few weeks ago but we are struggling to make music so to say.
I wonder if any of you got some tips for a new started bands to, you know get things rolling?

Cheers

Learn a bunch of songs together and get out and gig. Take a page from the Beatles. These guys worked music in the beginning like a factory job playing 5-6 nights a week for peanuts. It made them gel as a unit, strengthened their chops and caused them to write and write out of sheer boredom, even right onstage.

Play the gig, see who sticks around when the going gets rough, be a better player/performer and see where it takes you.
Have one person write their part and lyrics and provide a basic idea behind what the rest is supposed to sound like and let everybody else go from there.