Okay so I've come across a small sum of money (about ~$2500). I started thinking about it the other day and I realized I want to do something with investment or private equity in my future. I am a Business Major.

Basically, my school has a ''professional fraternity" that specializes in business. So you get linked up with contacts etc. I don't really want to join the frat because of money/time issues but I was thinking I could maybe go to one of their meetings and meet up with people and connect with people and possibly start an investment project. I was thinking along of the lines of working together, starting a bit of a think tank and invest in projects or buy stocks or maybe even start our own business venture.

Now I understand 2500 isn't much when talking about investing or starting a business or whatever, but if I work with other people who may have some savings lying around maybe this can become something, and we can all make a little bit of money. My question: what should I do in order to protect my end? Let's say we all decide to invest in a certain stock or portfolio, should I give someone my $2500 or should I keep that to myself? Basically, in the event that someone tries to rob me is there a way to prove that the 2500 was originally mine?

Do you guys have any suggestions or experience with this sort of thing? What can I expect?
pinga
Quote by Philip_pepper
Stock market? Diversify in different stocks.

Not sure if the market has peaked though.

That's obvious but I wanted to work with other people and maybe take on a business venture and just help supply capital. I was thinking in penny stocks though, sounds like a good idea.
pinga
lol, "small sum of money" would pay my rent for 9 months.

I'm poor.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Cb4rabid
well this thread worked

Did you really expect it to?
Unless you know what you are doing stay away from the stock market. For the love of god do not listen to Phil.

Save for a rainy day? You never know when your transmission will die... like mine...
“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote by lolmnt
PC police strike again

If you have a computer related question, ask here!

Official Mayor of the Computer Thread
If you do decide to give your money to the others to invest. The most logical thing to do would be to write up a contract and a receipt. Maybe get a lawyer to look it over before proceeding with handing over the money.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by Cb4rabid
That's obvious but I wanted to work with other people and maybe take on a business venture and just help supply capital. I was thinking in penny stocks though, sounds like a good idea.

The best thing I can think of is maybe gathering some friends who have some money as well and try to figure out some sort of business of some sorts.

If I had an idea for a business I would have long done it.

What about a cat lady's starter kit though?
Just do like Leo in The Wolf of Wall Street.. Open up your own stockbroker place, and cheat people Or you could buy penny stocks from Leo or lose everything... I think the latter will work just fine for you And what a movie btw...
There's only one boss I listen to, and that's why I'm unemployed.
If you are looking for a long term investment: Type B stocks don't cost anything (except a percentage when you remove the money) and turn into Type A stocks after about five years (that cost nothing when you withdraw them). If you play it safely, you can make probably 5% and more if a little riskier. Safe bond yields are about as good as low risk stocks and safer. If you had invested in mutual funds one year ago, you would have probably have earned 15%. I think the market has a little higher to go but long term, it doesn't matter, its not what happens tomorrow, its where it is in 7 years. So you put it in and don't think about until then, if you can. Stock brokers make commitions from the companies of the stocks you invest in, not you, so to go see one is free and won't take any off the top. I used to love stocks that reinvest into themselves, but again, that's a long term investment.

If you don't do something to keep that money making money, it will depreciate. CD's are probably 1.5% right now, barely the cost of living adjustment each year but better than being worth -1.5% the following year.

I would steer clear of going in with friends or relatives on a business venture, even with contracts. It's the quickest way to lose friends and relatives and not worth the small percentage you might make.

Short term: Not enough money to be worth your while or anyone else's, and its equal if not more risk than long term. You could buy a hot dog cart or fix up an old ice cream truck for about that much and go into business on your own.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay so I've come across a small sum of money (about ~$2500). I started thinking about it the other day and I realized I want to do something with investment or private equity in my future. I am a Business Major.

Basically, my school has a ''professional fraternity" that specializes in business. So you get linked up with contacts etc. I don't really want to join the frat because of money/time issues but I was thinking I could maybe go to one of their meetings and meet up with people and connect with people and possibly start an investment project. I was thinking along of the lines of working together, starting a bit of a think tank and invest in projects or buy stocks or maybe even start our own business venture.

Now I understand 2500 isn't much when talking about investing or starting a business or whatever, but if I work with other people who may have some savings lying around maybe this can become something, and we can all make a little bit of money. My question: what should I do in order to protect my end? Let's say we all decide to invest in a certain stock or portfolio, should I give someone my $2500 or should I keep that to myself? Basically, in the event that someone tries to rob me is there a way to prove that the 2500 was originally mine?

Do you guys have any suggestions or experience with this sort of thing? What can I expect?

You are the business major, with access to teachers and study material.... and you're asking the pit....
Tell me, how is that study going for you?
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by mystical_1

If you don't do something to keep that money making money, it will depreciate. CD's are probably 1.5% right now, barely the cost of living adjustment each year but better than being worth -1.5% the following year.

Short term: Not enough money to be worth your while or anyone else's, and its equal if not more risk than long term. You could buy a hot dog cart or fix up an old ice cream truck for about that much and go into business on your own.

This, pretty much. You're better off just putting it in a retirement fund or an emergency fund.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
Quote by mystical_1
If you are looking for a long term investment: Type B stocks don't cost anything (except a percentage when you remove the money) and turn into Type A stocks after about five years (that cost nothing when you withdraw them). If you play it safely, you can make probably 5% and more if a little riskier. Safe bond yields are about as good as low risk stocks and safer. If you had invested in mutual funds one year ago, you would have probably have earned 15%. I think the market has a little higher to go but long term, it doesn't matter, its not what happens tomorrow, its where it is in 7 years. So you put it in and don't think about until then, if you can. Stock brokers make commitions from the companies of the stocks you invest in, not you, so to go see one is free and won't take any off the top. I used to love stocks that reinvest into themselves, but again, that's a long term investment.

I would steer clear of going in with friends or relatives on a business venture, even with contracts. It's the quickest way to lose friends and relatives and not worth the small percentage you might make.

This is a smart man, listen to this smart man.
Ah I see. Was really hoping on starting a business venture with somebody. Something a little bit more...lucrative than an ice cream truck.
pinga
You can but it's not as easy as just start an X, make tons of $$$. Think of some business you wanna get involved in and find out how much capital you're gonna need to get started.

Go look for someone else that's willing to risk $2500 on something that has over a 50% chance to fail too
I invested $1000 into a pool with my friends of about $8,000. 7 months later, it has grown to $25,000 but we're not content yet.

I'm not in the annual growth business. I'm in the empire business.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by captainsnazz
buy fnma nao

don't really

bitch you're wrong.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by KTFM
You should invest in a horse farm. I heard it's a stable industry.

Heh
Quote by KTFM
Or you could start a boomerang business. I heard there are great returns.

Meh
Quote by Xiaoxi
I invested $1000 into a pool with my friends of about $8,000. 7 months later, it has grown to $25,000 but we're not content yet.

I'm not in the annual growth business. I'm in the empire business.

This is exactly what I want. I don't have much money on my own but if I pool it together with a few other investors, I can walk out with a lot more money and have it grow and grow and grow ala Warren Buffet.

may I ask what you did with your friends?
pinga
well you better be able to trust them with your life or else it's gonna be baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I'm thinking about doing this with people I meet not friends. Mainly because my friends don't have money and know dick-all about saving/investing money
pinga
Then you need to do it through a proper mutual fund or hedge fund, where a certified professional manages your account.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Drop that shit into some ETF's and small caps, or a small cap ETF. Or do that with a good chunk of your money, and if you know enough about derivatives then use the remainder for those. You're young, so play things a bit riskier now because you have plenty of time to gain it back.

In regards to your actual question, I don't really have anything.
I have been thinking of taking a couple grand of student loan and investing it, then pay it off once it pays itself off, and enjoy the leftover profit. Should probably do it