Hey all,

So my band is starting get a good amount of gigs and I'm realizing that my VOX AC30 is quite heavy. I love the tone but good god the weight.....

Anyways I figure most gigs we play with have a PA system (that we use for acoustic guitar and one vocal mic) so I thought I could get a tiny amp just mic it... right?

The problem is I don't have a big budget for this kind of amp. There are a few VOX AC4 on craigslist close by and a few gretsch tube amps as well...

I know that in theory you can mic up a flute to be heard over a metal band but how practical is it to be lead guitar in a rock band with a 4 watt amp?

If you have any experience with very low wattage amps on stage with a full rock band, I'd love to hear it. Any Do's and dont's? Any specific experience with the VOX AC4?

If the music style is important, this is us:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmRRcJofYE8

EDIT: Hum it seems that youtube isn't working right now... is it just for me? Anyways here is our EP though the video is more representative of our live sound
https://differentdays.bandcamp.com/
Last edited by flexiblemile at Jan 14, 2014,
It'd work. Joe Walsh often uses 20W and 30W combos on stage for outdoor festivals and just mics them. However, if you already have an AC30, I would honestly just stick through the pain of lifting it and use that. It's a great amp, there's no point in spending more money to have worse sound. The AC4 will NOT sound like an AC30. Relying on hearing your guitar through the monitors at club gigs is probably not a good way to go, either. Good sound-men are getting harder and harder to find these days as bar owners are letting their nephews who "just love music" do all the mastering more and more these days. But venue owners being shitty about having proper gear and sound guys is another argument.

I'd just get used to it, man. If your band gets big and you get more rad gear, you'll have to anyway.

Tell your singer she's got a cool Godin.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Jan 14, 2014,
Quote by JustRooster
It'd work. Joe Walsh often uses 20W and 30W combos on stage for outdoor festivals and just mics them. However, if you already have an AC30, I would honestly just stick through the pain of lifting it and use that. It's a great amp, there's no point in spending more money to have worse sound. The AC4 will NOT sound like an AC30. Relying on hearing your guitar through the monitors at club gigs is probably not a good way to go, either. Good sound-men are getting harder and harder to find these days as bar owners are letting their nephews who "just love music" do all the mastering more and more these days. But venue owners being shitty about having proper gear and sound guys is another argument.

I'd just get used to it, man. If your band gets big and you get more rad gear, you'll have to anyway.

Tell your singer she's got a cool Godin.

A big +1 to this.

Technically it would work, but you'd be far worse off. Also, you'd be screwed if you turned up somewhere & they didn't have a PA, or even if it was a smaller PA & all the channels were needed for mics.

With your AC30, you have an excellent amp that will be more than enough for almost any venue most people will ever play.

WIth an AC4 you'd have an excellent practice amp that is great for playing at home.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
^ +1

I owned the AC4TV half stack for a while. It was an okay amp for just practising at home, but I don't think I would have ever gigged with it. I currently own an AC30, and I can honestly say that the AC4TV I had, doesn't even compare to it.

I also found that the AC4 broke up super quick. There was no chance of having great cleans, unless you set it to the 4 watt setting, and kept the volume under 1/4.

The 212 AC30 is only like 75lbs. My mesa 212 weighs nearly that much, and I carry that beast in one hand, and my head in the other (when its not in its road case). I say suck it up.... or buy a cart .
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Last edited by red.guitar at Jan 14, 2014,
I suppose I can suck it up. It is good tone.

Justrooster, her Godin is indeed quite cool. We're probably going to put locking tuners on it soon though because she bangs on it quite a bit and it goes out of tune semi-easily. However for short girls that like to jump around and don't want feedback, it's perfect (even though she records with a big bodied Norman)

If you like Godin, you should check this contest out:
http://www.godinguitars.com/playthisad_prizepack.htm

They give you a bunch of chords, you make a video with all of them and none else and you might win 15000$ worth of Godin guitars (yes, fifteen thousand) We're already working on something. There's already a couple of entries on youtube. Entries until march I think

Anyways you guys are right, I think I'll just try to install wheels on my ac30 or something.

The AC4 is so cheap though, maybe I'll get it as a living room amp anyways...
Maybe if Vox makes a 2x10 version of this amp, they can call it the widescreen AC4TV