Hi all, I was at my local shop getting my tremolo reset (before I knew how to do it myself), and the guy who I knew showed me how to do it. He also said that once you lock the nut on a guitar with a floating trem, they stay in tune forever.

Is this true? I just recently resetted my trem (got it as perfect as possible), and after playing a few licks, I noticed it was still perfectly in tune.

There doesn't seem to be many advantages to floaters, other than I think that they look cool, and you can bend the pitch up or down.
A good bridge stays in tune regardless of type.

It won't stay in tune forever, but if it's a good trem it'll stay in tune for a long darn time.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster

It won't stay in tune forever, but if it's a good trem it'll stay in tune for a long darn time.

+1
Quote by JustRooster

This but you shouldn't underestimate the effect the nut will have.

A good bridge and a good nut will keep your guitar in tune for the length of a hefty gig and maybe a bit after that but probably not much longer.

If you're just playing at home, reasonably lightly, and your strings are pretty fresh you can rest assured that your guitar will stay in tune for weeks at a time.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Strings stretch and go out of tune, a cheap floating trem will never hold a tuning very well. A real floyd rose trem is unbeatable for staying in tune.

I bought a Jackson guitar with a Floyd 'licensed' tremolo, and it would always go out of tune if I messed with the tremolo. I replaced it with a Real Floyd Rose and it's perfect. I can let it sit for a couple of weeks, and when I come back it's still in tune.
gotta point out that this is about locking trems not floating trems. a 6 screw fender trem can be set to float. if the strings are properly stretched then a locking trem can stay in tune for a long period of time, that's the point of the locking nut.
Quote by iduno871
Strings stretch and go out of tune, a cheap floating trem will never hold a tuning very well. A real floyd rose trem is unbeatable for staying in tune.

I bought a Jackson guitar with a Floyd 'licensed' tremolo, and it would always go out of tune if I messed with the tremolo. I replaced it with a Real Floyd Rose and it's perfect. I can let it sit for a couple of weeks, and when I come back it's still in tune.

I have a guitar with a floyd and I really only retune when I change strings. Also, just because its "licensed" doesnt mean its garbage. There are a lot of licensed Floyd's out there that work as good as if not better than a "real" one.
Price if the guitar should tell you something. If the guitar is 300 bucks with a floyd installed, its probably not great.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
The edge pro in my rg1570 just will not go out of tune, not matter the abuse.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs