I get the whole "being yourself" kinda thing when it comes to people, especially women. I always thought I actually was pretty good at being myself.

Now, I know that the whole nature of having delusions pretty much contradicts the possibility of being aware of said delusions yourself. As in: a paranoid schizo probably won't know that he's a paranoid schizo. But as for the being-yourself part,
I'm never quite sure if the things I do and say are really authentic. Usually I change my opinion about that every 5 minutes. So, basically, how the hell do you know if you're actually being you or just how you think you are? I mean, I know I get a little too brainy sometimes.. meaning that I tend to overthink until I don't even know what I actually wanted to say myself. But it's really getting ridiculous lately and it's creating more and more problems in my life.

I'm aware that I shouldn't think too much about stuff like that and yes I DO need to get laid. The only reason I think about it is that I really don't want to screw up another relationship from the getgo. I'm just sick of having to "try out" shit in this area of my life. And I don't really like the thought of forever screwing it up with a girl that would pretty much be perfect for me only because I'm not "grounded" enough yet.

tl:dr: Who even is me really?
Quote by Telecaster7
Oh dear, current affairs...
Quote by captainsnazz
you is not you??

..then who was thread?

WHO WAS POST?
Sail upon the open skies
A lost child who had a sad sad childhood is within you and you need to make that child a "man"
Whats goes around must come down
Quote by captainsnazz
you is not you??

..then who was thread?
he before he became not he.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I've had those kinds of thoughts sometimes, mostly after realizing that I act differently around different people but I think a lot of people do that. I get along with everyone and to do that I guess I sort of adjust how I act... I think what we don't realize is that whatever happens we are still being ourselves.

Bottom line I'd say don't think about that too much
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
The problem is that you're looking at identity as a static thing. You can hold a strong opinion one minute, change it the next and both will still be authentic to you. Who you are is only the person you exist as in whatever specific moment you're living in.

"forever screwing it up with a girl that would pretty much be perfect for me only because I'm not "grounded" enough yet"

Nah, being 'grounded' enough is probably the least of your worries. You don't need to stick to one set of ideals or even thought patterns (I'm assuming this is what you picture being grounded to be like). The problem isn't that you have all these changing, conflicting aspects of your self. Worrying about having them instead of just accepting that everyone experiences it is what's screwing shit up.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Last edited by ozzyismetal at Jan 14, 2014,
Quote by shelovemyguitar
Bottom line I'd say don't think about that too much
haha. yeah i kinda figured

Quote by ichiefG13
A lost child who had a sad sad childhood is within you and you need to make that child a "man"

welp.. that hit a bit too close to home.
thanks man. you're probably right, looks like I've got a lot to figure out

and thank you to all you other dudes too!
getting a laugh out of this is probably not the worst thing i could have expected
Quote by Telecaster7
welp.. that hit a bit too close to home.
thanks man. you're probably right, looks like I've got a lot to figure out

I was once lost too, pm me if you want more tips or whatever you want to call it.
Whats goes around must come down
don't spend so much time thinking about this kinda stuff, you're only gonna fall further into the hole you're digging there my friend
banned
Quote by deadsmileyface
don't spend so much time thinking about this kinda stuff, you're only gonna fall further into the hole you're digging there my friend

yep
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by ozzyismetal
The problem is that you're looking at identity as a static thing. You can hold a strong opinion one minute, change it the next and both will still be authentic to you.

well I think it isn't so much that I hold conflicting believes..
it's just that I'm sick of my brain going from 0 to 200 the moment I get any kind of emotional stimulation.

Even posting here is kinda like free falling everytime i hit the submit button.
not even cause I'm afraid of getting my feelings hurt or something.. it's more like I feel like I'm dealing with something that is so completely unknown to me that the only thing that comes to mind is taking a stick and poking it

I'm essentially just horrible at connecting with my emotions. never been a very emotional guy and i guess I've buried the remaining ones a bit too deep

Quote by ichiefG13
I was once lost too, pm me if you want more tips or whatever you want to call it.
thanks, I probably will
Quote by Telecaster7
Last edited by CrazyMatt at Jan 14, 2014,
look in a mirror?
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
All that exists of you is your current awareness, the thoughts running through your mind, your senses, etc. The past "you" is not you, because you are always changing, and the "future you" isn't here yet, and is determined by the "present you". So only consider the latter. I'm aware that a lot of this post sounds like platitudinous deepity, but it's the truth as best I'm aware.

Try to be aware if you are creating a narrative (This is who I am, I am this type of person, I like this brand and that band) and examine if it really reflects your experiential self, if you'll permit the term. And then try to cultivate a distance between those thoughts and your current experience.
I've been having these sorts of thoughts about love too lately. I've never been in love with anyone. I'm not saying I never loved anybody of course, I love my family, my friends, my dog, etc... I sometimes wonder if true love even exists you know? My cousin recently started dating a girl and he totally fell in love but to me it just seems fake like an illusion, like if he was on a cloud, impossibly good you know? That looks like the love you see in movies: 2 persons who have never seen each other meet and boom, some magic happens and they're in heaven even though they barely know each other. The fact that I know more unhappy couple than the opposite surely doesn't help...

Anywayz...
Quote by DarkLiquor

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Last edited by shelovemyguitar at Jan 14, 2014,
Quote by ChucklesMginty
A monkey with a typewriter will eventually produce a line of Shakespeare.

Philip certainly has the monkey part down.
Looks like we got a philosophy major here!
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by chookiecookie
Quote by CrazyMatt
I get the whole "being yourself" kinda thing when it comes to people, especially women. I always thought I actually was pretty good at being myself.

Now, I know that the whole nature of having delusions pretty much contradicts the possibility of being aware of said delusions yourself. As in: a paranoid schizo probably won't know that he's a paranoid schizo. But as for the being-yourself part,
I'm never quite sure if the things I do and say are really authentic. Usually I change my opinion about that every 5 minutes. So, basically, how the hell do you know if you're actually being you or just how you think you are? I mean, I know I get a little too brainy sometimes.. meaning that I tend to overthink until I don't even know what I actually wanted to say myself. But it's really getting ridiculous lately and it's creating more and more problems in my life.

I'm aware that I shouldn't think too much about stuff like that and yes I DO need to get laid. The only reason I think about it is that I really don't want to screw up another relationship from the getgo. I'm just sick of having to "try out" shit in this area of my life. And I don't really like the thought of forever screwing it up with a girl that would pretty much be perfect for me only because I'm not "grounded" enough yet.

existential crisis

Alert slackerbabbath

My advice, role a fat one, relax, stop over-analysing yourself and stop letting shit bother you.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jan 15, 2014,
Quote by CrazyMatt

Study philosophy

Edit: snipelfritz beat me to it.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at Jan 15, 2014,
Quote by shelovemyguitar
I sometimes wonder if true love even exists you know?

I think the trick with "true love" isn't so much that it's rationally verifiable or refutable.
the whole notion is pretty much deeply rooted into western culture and I don't think that it's all an evil invention by hollywood or sth. I mean it clearly gets exploited on a daily basis but the whole idea has existed for a couple hundred years at least.

When it comes down to it, I think what makes "true love" true is that it feels right you know? as in, it comes from a place that's pretty much beyond your rational reach.
you can't explain it, you have no idea how it really works but it just feels too real to get all existential about it. I mean I know that a loooot of relationships don't make it very far but I'm guessing that when you're actually in love, most of the time you kinda don't worry about this really. Emotions are basically what makes the world "real" me thinks.

As for me, I just realized that I'm actually putting up a well crafted facade about not putting up a well crafted facade. don't worry, I'm done now

So here's the plan: stop thinking, try to enjoy every drink and bang as much hot girls as possible!

thanks guys!
Quote by Telecaster7
Changing your opinion on something isn't a reason to have an identity crisis. I am probably very different to how i was 5 years ago, and a lot of people who i have known for a while are also very different to when i first met them, because personalities constantly evolve.

I hope that i understood the point of the question there.

EDIT:

Quote by ozzyismetal
The problem is that you're looking at identity as a static thing. You can hold a strong opinion one minute, change it the next and both will still be authentic to you. Who you are is only the person you exist as in whatever specific moment you're living in.

"forever screwing it up with a girl that would pretty much be perfect for me only because I'm not "grounded" enough yet"

Nah, being 'grounded' enough is probably the least of your worries. You don't need to stick to one set of ideals or even thought patterns (I'm assuming this is what you picture being grounded to be like). The problem isn't that you have all these changing, conflicting aspects of your self. Worrying about having them instead of just accepting that everyone experiences it is what's screwing shit up.

I was going to say something along these lines, but this guy phrased it really well.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Last edited by donender at Jan 15, 2014,
Quote by CrazyMatt
I think the trick with "true love" isn't so much that it's rationally verifiable or refutable.
the whole notion is pretty much deeply rooted into western culture and I don't think that it's all an evil invention by hollywood or sth. I mean it clearly gets exploited on a daily basis but the whole idea has existed for a couple hundred years at least.

When it comes down to it, I think what makes "true love" true is that it feels right you know? as in, it comes from a place that's pretty much beyond your rational reach.
you can't explain it, you have no idea how it really works but it just feels too real to get all existential about it. I mean I know that a loooot of relationships don't make it very far but I'm guessing that when you're actually in love, most of the time you kinda don't worry about this really. Emotions are basically what makes the world "real" me thinks.

As for me, I just realized that I'm actually putting up a well crafted facade about not putting up a well crafted facade. don't worry, I'm done now

So here's the plan: stop thinking, try to enjoy every drink and bang as much hot girls as possible!

thanks guys!

Cheers mate!
Quote by DarkLiquor

Wake up people!