Hello, I just bought a Stellar hollow body LP based on glowing reviews I've read. Beautiful instrument but I have a few questions/issues about it.

First, the tailpiece is off center so that the high e string is lined up straight to the bridge but the low e-string as at quite an angle. Will this in any way hinder the performance of the guitar.

Second, the bridge and pick-ups are at a severe tilt, lower on the high e-string side and higher on the low e-string side. The bridge adjustment screw on the low e-string side is almost all the way up while the adjustment screw on the high e-string side is completely bottomed out. Amazingly the top and bottom strings are about the same gap from the fretboard. However the action is still a little high but I can't go any lower on the high e-string side. This is my biggest concern as I'm not sure if this can be corrected.

Lastly, the bridge pick-up is much higher, very close to the strings while the neck pick-up sits much lower and farther from the strings. Looks like the bridge pup needs lowered to me. Is that possible?

I've e-mailed the company that sold me the guitar 2 days ago about these issues but I have yet to get a reply. Should I just return/exchange and assume I got a bad sample? Does anyone else own one of these? I haven't seen a bad review yet on this guitar and I'm fairly new to the guitar world so I'm a little baffled. Thanks in adavance for any help.
This is worthless without pic's
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Which model do you have? If it is the 'Mercury 003' like the pic below, then it has a 'floating' bridge & you should be able to correct any string angle problems by ensuring that the bridge and tailpiece are placed in the proper locations.

re: the bridge adjustment screws - again, make sure that that it's in the right location. If it's still off-kilter once lined up, the wood base may have to be sanded down to even it out.

Pickup height: Sounds like your pickup rings may be reversed; the taller of the two should be in the bridge position. If that is the case and you still can't get them lined up, you probably need different ones.

All in all, it sounds like this guitar just needs a proper setup. Take it to your local luthier and have them give it a look. If they don't think that they can correct these issues, send it back.

Last edited by sinofian at Jan 15, 2014,
Yep,the problem was the floating bridge was way out of place. I took it to a local guitar shop and he got into the correct position and leveled out the the pups and action as well. It plays much better now although I'm not particularly in love with the jumbo frets. Hopefully it will be more comfortable still after I get some better strings on it. It still looks to me like the tailpiece is a tad off center with the neck but it doesn't seem to affect anything other than the strings go over the bridge at a slight angle instead of perfectly straight.

Now the next question is: Should I glue down the bridge now that it's in it's prpoer location? It seems to move pretty easy and I've never known LP's to have floating bridges.
Quote by rohash
Yep,the problem was the floating bridge was way out of place. I took it to a local guitar shop and he got into the correct position and leveled out the the pups and action as well. It plays much better now although I'm not particularly in love with the jumbo frets. Hopefully it will be more comfortable still after I get some better strings on it. It still looks to me like the tailpiece is a tad off center with the neck but it doesn't seem to affect anything other than the strings go over the bridge at a slight angle instead of perfectly straight.

Now the next question is: Should I glue down the bridge now that it's in it's prpoer location? It seems to move pretty easy and I've never known LP's to have floating bridges.

No don't glue it. take a small piece of masking tape and put it along the front edge to mark where it goes (cut a thin strip so it is not so noticeable). If you glue it down you or who you sell it to can not change the intonation on it if you ever have issues or change string gauge.

Also change the strings one at a time so the bridge stays in place
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate