Hey guys

I've got a starter guitar that plays like absolute balls. The intonation is way out, neck pocket is a bit funky etc etc

I've always wanted a daphne blue strat with a maple neck and reversed headstock.

What I thought of doing is stripping the body, filling the routes with dowels etc and refinishing in the colour I want + buying new neck + hardware

There's also a flip side to this

Squier make a bullet strat in the colour I want. It's $180 here but I'm sure that it will play like crap.

Option 3 is I fabricate the body myself or buy one on Ebay.

What are your thoughts on most cost effective/best playing guitar? I want this thing to last for a long time and to be a pleasure to play

Cheers
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Learn how to make your "balls" guitar play better until you can afford to buy one.
some guitars are just impossible to intonate and this is one of them.

I've measured everything and it has:

Incorrect neck placement
Incorrect bridge placement
Uneven fretting
Saddles don't move far enough to intonate correctly
Terrible nut

The question was with regards to using the body for another project, not salvaging the whole guitar. I know how to set guitars up lol
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by N_J_B_B

I've measured everything and it has:

Incorrect neck placement
Incorrect bridge placement
Uneven fretting
Saddles don't move far enough to intonate correctly
Terrible nut

It sounds you are playing a potato. You may bake said potato and cover it with sour cream, scallions, cheeze and/or bacon bits. Butter is also good. So try that.

Otherwise, you seemed to have answered your own question. Save you money until you can buy a guitar that is nice. It sucks this is what you have, but salvaging this will only make the next guitar you put together shitty as well.
Quote by N_J_B_B

1)Incorrect neck placement
2)Incorrect bridge placement
3)Uneven fretting
4)Saddles don't move far enough to intonate correctly
5)Terrible nut

The above troubles mean:
1) the neck and/or the neck-pocket need serious money/craftmanship to salvage
2)you could use the bridge somewhere else, but its gonna be a cheap bridge prone to many problems
3)you'd have to refret/ fret dress a cheap neck. How about no
4)makes 2 a bit more obvious
5)this is the place you could make a bit of difference with the least money. A correctly cut nut may help with the intonation and the action (but won't do shit about the frets).
i gotta go with Telecaster7. I've done a lot of stuff with cheapo guitars just for the sake of trying to do something. I think there's always something to do.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.