Hi UG, this is my first post to the forums, so please forgive me, if i'm doing this wrong, and sorry for bad english

I've been painting guitars as a hobby in a 1.5 years now, and i painted 5 guitars so far, so i'm not that experienced, but i really like to experiment with new things.
I have always loved this kind of finish that Mayones do, where they take an (i think) swamp ash body, and in some way paintes the grain a color like red or green and then the rest of the body black.
http://www.chordism.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Mayones-Setius-GTM-6-Gothic-Guitar-Monolith-black-red-ash.jpg

Then the other day i saw a Fender Tele with the same kind of finish
http://www.upfrontguitars.com/images/D/dx-bi-full.jpg

I would really like to know, how such a finish could be achieved. Would you use stain?
Use a dark stain first then sand the guitar down, this takes a few coats.
The dark stain will hold in the grain areas
when you sand the stain will come off of the lighter part of the wood but not the darker grain areas.
Then you stain the guitar in the color you want and you will have low-lights in the finish.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Mayones spray these in satin black, then use red grain filler. I have no idea if the finish is satin clear coat or oil.

thanks for the answers everybody.
Would you use red filler on top of the black paint? Would the wood still absorb the grain filler?
Quote by GuitarRhiger
thanks for the answers everybody.
Would you use red filler on top of the black paint? Would the wood still absorb the grain filler?

Yep, filler over the paint. You only use a thin layer of paint, so it preserves the grain.

Don't think about the grain filler like it's a stain... think more along the lines of a coloured glue, which sticks into the cracks.