Hello UG!

I got a problem! I've started lusting for a tele more and more the last months, and at present I have the ability to fulfil my desire...

My budget is 500€-800€. I dab in many genres, and I am adequately equipped for my "heavier" needs. So I am mainly searching for a single-coil/p90s telecaster. I am already scouring the local market for good used deals, but I am also checking out what's available as new (thomann and musicstore online shops)

So far Fender's telees have put me off them due to, mainly, aesthetics. I'd prefer 22 frets rather than 21 (mainly cause I am used to 22) but that's really minor preference.

Right now I am leaning towards a G&L of some kind. I am considering the Tribute ASAT special & classic and the FSR Tele custom from Fender.

Any opinions on those welcome. Also welcome are any new suggestions.

Thanks a bunch
Last edited by AmirT at Jan 15, 2014,
Thanks!!! Those modern players had really escaped me while searching. How do they stand up to the G&Ls though? Anyhow, got to admit they are really eye-pleasing!
I played the first one in an Italian music shop on vacation..

there was something about it that really got hold of me.. I played an American Custom Shop Tele of a friend and some Mexicans, but this one was like "wow" for me.. In the sense of feeling of the neck, etc..

Since then I've been looking to buy one too!

The sound is fine, I think you can always switch the pickups if you want. I played through a Deluxe Reverb iirc

And I've never played GL's, so sorry
Maybe check out the Chapman Guitars Chappers Signature Tele, heard only good stuff about the brand, and certainly a cool modern take on the tele design. Also available as 7-string now.
G&L ASAT tribute are great guitars. I'd be willing to say they are better than most <$1000 Fenders. I want another tele and I think it will be a G&L ASAT this time

The modern player Fenders are just Squier's with fender slapped on them
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 15, 2014,
^So you'd say that the ASATs are better than the Modern players? Can you elaborate in what terms please?
Quote by Deledhel
^So you'd say that the ASATs are better than the Modern players? Can you elaborate in what terms please?

Yeah by a mile.
G&L tributes are built in Indonesia (and they are quality built) but the Tribute series uses the regular USA G&L hardware and electronics. So you get all the quality parts like: bridge, pickups, tuners and you don't pay the premium of a MIA guitar.
The Fenders are MIC (not that it means crap) and in my experience are the quality of a Classic vibe/Modern Players Squier. The Fender on the headstock is simply so they can charge more than if it said Squier.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That's enlightening I'd say! What about the pick-ups on the ASAT special? Are they somewhere between a regular single and a p90?
Quote by Deledhel
That's enlightening I'd say! What about the pick-ups on the ASAT special? Are they somewhere between a regular single and a p90?

You know I can't honestly answer that. My experience is with the ASAT Deluxe with HB's.

But with the reputation of G&L I'd say they should be decent enough.

If you do go Fender, at least get a MIM
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 15, 2014,
Nope! All the MIMs I've checked kinda gross me out. G&L it is then! Thanks a lot guys, especially you Rob. Good day to ya!
Seconding the suggestion of G&L.

However, if you see them, you might want to try a Reverend as well, specifically a Buckshot, Charger, or Flatroc.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/buckshot/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/charger-290/
http://www.reverendguitars.com/instrument/flatroc/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'm SO not a tele guy (they've always reminded me of a breadboard collision with a baseball bat), but if you're going that direction, my first suggestion is that you get the basic tele with the basic tele single coils rather than P90s. That's if you want to get the real tele sound.

Second suggestion is that you pay attention to the radius and width of the fretboard and the size of the frets. The "vintage" guitars have a 7.25" radius and skinny frets and sometimes a narrow nut and you're virtually guaranteed to fret out if you're doing any bending at the upper end of the fretboard. My favorite tele so far has been one of the Asian imports with a 13.7" (their standard 350mm) radius and jumbo frets, though I don't have a problem with medium jumbos.

You might consider doing the minor surgery that reverses the control plate and puts the switch on the other end. You have to swap the pots one with the other when you do that, and you have to reverse the switch. You'll understand why once you've played a tele a while, but it's a very common modification that doesn't cost you anything and can be easily reversed.

I don't care for maple fretboards with paint on them, but that's a personal preference. And if there's any chance at all that you'll be playing at the upper end of the fretboard (unless having 22 frets over 21 is just a cosmetic preference), flip them over and see if you can find a version that has a more modern smoother ("all access") neck heel arrangement. Nothing like sliding up the fretboard to get your palm stabbed by the corner of a slab of wood.
That classic tele sound would be the country twang right? That's not a top priority. I want the single coil high end and dynamics/response (that's why I asked for the fat g&l pups), a bit more muscle is something good for my needs.

On the other hand, 7,25'' radii are a no-no, I am always checking about that.

The volume pot swap is something I'll do when I get the time
you need a G&L ASAT Special with the BIG MFD pick ups , they are single coil with P90 type of sound , the ASAT Classic is more of a Country twang tone , I have both in USA models and love them
Baja tele is a great guitar for the price but has a massive neck so if you prefer small necks there is no point in getting it
Fender '72 Tele Custom?

That's what I just bought, loving it so far.